How will the human race come to an end?

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Do you think that we'll wipe ourselves out, get wiped out by a disaster or slowly dwindle in numbers until there's nobody left?

I'm going for disaster followed by dwindling numbers.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Nuclear war.

The countdown began when the Americans exploded the first bomb, the technology is now old hat and it will only take one nutter who fancies eternity with his 72 virgins to press the button.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    Nuclear war.

The countdown began when the Americans exploded the first bomb, the technology is now old hat and it will only take one nutter who fancies eternity with his 72 virgins to press the button.

+1
    Boardman Team Carbon 2010
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Hope I'm not here to see that one.

When I was a kid there was an air raid siren mounted on our school and they started doing frequent tests on it, but not at a fixed time like they do on the continent, so you had to wait for it to stop to know that a nuclear war hadn't just started. Scared the feck out of me.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    I shall ride my Colnago into the sunset listening to the Stranglers!
  • Don't know, but Tesco is sure to have a hand in it.

For a compelling if grisly take on the "dwindling" scenario, see Cormac Macarthy's "The Road".
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Maybe we'll just lose interest.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Dunno, the race will outlive me so I'm not fussed. As an outside shot I'll suggest it will be Wiggle's fault.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Not too sure, but my money will be on Cavendish.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The Chinese will create a virus that will wipe out the rest of mankind, leaving them the earths dwindling resources.
    If it isn't the Chinese it'll be someone else.
  • over population
    road- Trek 1000
    XC trail anthem X4
    school and shops- orange P7 single speed
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Well, according to more than a few people on this forum it will be caused by doping in cycling.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    dennisn wrote:
    Well, according to more than a few people on this forum it will be caused by doping in cycling.

Why not? There will be nobody around to do the testing anyway.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Ultimate Wiggle blame! I win!
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Could be any number of things. earthquake, volcano, meteorite impact, epidemic of some horrible disease; take your pick!
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    all wrong!

it will be disease and no matter how much protein/createin you consume it shalll be no use!
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    james-m-h wrote:
    over population

+1

Soon there will be so many people in the World the Earth's crust will fall in on it's self and we will all be burnt to a crisp in the Planet's core.

Just you wait and see! :cry:
  • Well we've evolved so far via survival of the fittest and / or strongest. As this is no longer the case and the gene pool is full of folk with genetic faults etc as we now artificially keep them alive I reckon we'll slowly de-volve and crawl backwards into the primordial soup. :lol:
  • in a bunch sprint.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Griffsters wrote:
    Well we've evolved so far via survival of the fittest and / or strongest. As this is no longer the case and the gene pool is full of folk with genetic faults etc as we now artificially keep them alive I reckon we'll slowly de-volve and crawl backwards into the primordial soup. :lol:

Aye

apeMan.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • I'm going out with a bang.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • I wonder what page please delete this thread will have reached by the end.
  • thecm
    thecm Posts: 71
    +1 for The Road...that's bleak
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    All the people with jobs will work themselves to death before having kids whilst the lazy will keep churning out kids who expect everything to be handed to them for free but the people who could do that will already be dead. They'll eventually die too lazy or incompetent to look after themselves.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I shall ride my Colnago into the sunset listening to the Stranglers!

The Stranglers will do a world tour and the population of every country will jump off cliffs, lemming style.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    pst88 wrote:
    All the people with jobs will work themselves to death before having kids whilst the lazy will keep churning out kids who expect everything to be handed to them for free but the people who could do that will already be dead. They'll eventually die too lazy or incompetent to look after themselves.

You are describing the UK not the human race as a whole.
  • Meteor / asteroid etc - global killer. It's happened before so...... but hey, as long as Bruce Willis and Ben Afleck are still around I think we're safe.

Failing that it'll be over population or some plague / global virus type stuff

Happy thoughts for a Monday :roll:
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    ...with a whimper, or more likely an electronic beep. People are wasting more of their lives on computers and the young seem to lack even the basic life skiils...
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    TheCM wrote:
    +1 for The Road...that's bleak

I downloaded, and watched, the film adaptation last night.
    Grim.