Dress Down Friday

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I just can't seem to rock the Dress Down Friday look. I end up looking like a badly dressed school teacher.

I've reverted to wearing a suit - sans tie.

What do you wear on a Friday?

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I have a dress down everyday (unless I'm on the road / meetings scheduled)

Currently wearing a bright orange Syracuse hoodie, jeans and Australian stockman's boots.

Proper dress down Fridays however are tricky. USA gravitate to as much a uniform as the rest of the week - Chinos, polished Sperry Topsiders and a button down collar shirt with no tie.

Can't go wrong with the above (as long as the shirt is solid white or blue)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Same as every other day. Jeans.

In summer with a polo or short sleeved shirt. Or shorts if hot.

In winter with a jumper.

I keep a jacket and shoes at work all year round just in case.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Fridays I work from home, so wear whatever I like!!! :)

Normally PJ's and t-shirt until about 9, and then go and get changed into whatever I feel like wearing..
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    We have dress down only once a month.

The rule is no shorts, no flipflops.

So whatever I wear out of work.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Ha, dress down in a pair of chinos and a button-down shirt? I never look that smart! I don't even own any chinos except for a pair of blue strides I bought for the golf course.
  • clarkey cat
    I think if I wore a button down shirt I'd get my head kicked in around here.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    As every day, jeans but on Fridays I wear a t-shirt instead of a normal shirt.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Jeans and a Black t-shirt white classics.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Most people here wear chinos and a polo shirt, but I'll be damned if I'm going down that route - and sadly I'm not stylish enough to dress casually without the use of jeans, which are not allowed. So I have little choice but to wear what I wear every other day, without the tie. I like to pretend that I am holding myself to higher standards of professionalism than everyone else, sartorially speaking, but the basic fact is that I lack the fashion sense to pull off a good look whilst staying within the regs. I've experimented with cords and the like in the past but with little success.
  • clarkey cat
    Gallywomack - thats my problem (and solution) too.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Same as every day. Jeans and a company polo shirt or rugby shirt.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    First dress down day I worked I found quite bizarre. It was the first time I'd ever seen my boss (whom I've known for 10 years on and off) in casual clothes.

These days I work from home Wed - Fri so don't even bother getting changed out of my PJs. Why dirty clothes unless you need to.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    dress down is fairly flexible 'round here

I'm presently wearing a bright blue t-shirt with

Dept.Of
    Mental
    Health

on the front

and

PATIENT

across the back.

(and jeans)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If I dress down people ask me to fix their computers :(
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    currently.....work trousers an base layer tee (bergaus)

i forgot my shirt today.

i'm trying to get my bosses to allow me to wear chinos or jeans an polo, i don't think they will go for it though

Polo (probably fred perry), Chinos an loafers....tis smart casual people
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    We don't have any dress down days at my work place, though for the ladies my office, it would seem every day is a dress down Friday!!
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    If you can't wear jeans you need to invest in a few utility shirts, black or dark greys and then put a lighter shade of grey t-shit/vest under it. Dark coloured trousers/chino's and some black boots and your all set.

Thats my smart casual when i have to make more of an effort.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Joelsim wrote:
    Ha, dress down in a pair of chinos and a button-down shirt? I never look that smart! I don't even own any chinos except for a pair of blue strides I bought for the golf course.

Chino's are a bit..Tim, nice but dim aren't they?

Wouldn't be seen dead in them.
  • suzyb wrote:
    First dress down day I worked I found quite bizarre. It was the first time I'd ever seen my boss (whom I've known for 10 years on and off) in casual clothes.

These days I work from home Wed - Fri so don't even bother getting changed out of my PJs. Why dirty clothes unless you need to.

The most amusing example of that was the protests in the city a couple of years back, where people were advised not to wear their usual suits in case they were set upon by angry protestors. There were loads of blokes wondering around rocking jeans with ironed creases in a highly unconvincing manner, topped off with a barbour or something, looking for all the world like the hearltess fatcats in disguise that they in fact were.

I work for a Japanese company and one of the Japs here, a slightly flamboyant type, turned up in deck shoes, a blazer and an open-necked shirt with what looked like a cravat. I had to admire his style and contempt for the idea of trying to blend in with the crowd.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Only Friday is "dress down day" here.

Blue jeans, white t-shirt and Converse daps.

I'm definitely rockin' it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    suit n tie everyday for me. Dress down Friday was banned (for the whole firm, not just me).

But it didnt really worry me. as others have highlighted above I always felt slightly uncomfortable in a middle aged dad kinda way.

Amusing this summer when one of our colleagues from italy came over and he was rocking the slicked back hair, open necked shirt, white, yes white trousers, loafers and no socks look.

He looked very cool but slightly out of place.
    FCN = 4
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I'm WFH so I've dressed down into two baselayers, a t-shirt, jumper, gilet, beanie, scarf, running tights, jeans, thermal socks and track mitts. I'd be wearing full finger gloves but I was making too many typos.

I guess that means my flat's quite cold but b*ggered if I'm going to put the heating on.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Baggy shorts and a technical T, same as every other.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    We don't formally have one but everyone does it anyway. I've gone for my Welsh rugby shirt and jeans today in honour of the occasion but usually jeans and polo or casual shirt.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    jeans and a tshirt usually. it's bloody heavy

been rocking shorts and flip flops until 2 weeks ago
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I hate dress down Friday. First job I had I was forced down the chinos route. One of the partners sent round an email saying that the dress code was "equivalent to a 5 star golf course - I wasn't sure what that meant but didn't like the sound of it. I reached a low when I went to work in chinos and the only shirt I had ironed, which was a white one with a very fine stripe. I felt a bit of a tw*t, which was confirmed when one of my colleagues greeted me shouting "the man from Del Monte, he say yes!".

The next job I had with dress down Friday resulted in similar embarassment, this time I rocked up in some black chinos and a checked blue short sleeve shirt. I popped into Clinton cards at lunchtime, and several people asked me for help finding cards. Bugger me if I wasn't inadvertently wearing staff uniform!

Since then I have refused to participate and have come to the decision that I have 3 forms of dress:

1. Suit

2. Jeans (shorts if its hot enough)

3. Lycra

Given that 2 and 3 generally aren't allowed in the office, I stick with one - sometimes without a tie (rock 'n' roll!) - although saying that, I am presently in jeans and a t-shirt, and its Friday :?
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    every day is dress down day for me at the moment :(
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    Only Friday is "dress down day" here.

Blue jeans, white t-shirt and Converse daps.

I'm definitely rockin' it.

daps? are you 50?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Jeans t-shirt (that fits!) and trainers. What I'd wear to the pub basically.
    Ive only recently acquired some t-shirts in my size, cycling has damned me with weight loss combined with the determination to spend my money on bike bits and food exclusively.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jeans/combats/loose chinos plus t-shirt

though that is about to be replaced by full kilt regalia for trafalgar night celebratory dinner...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]