Non- yellow reflective things...

2»

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Do you have reflectors on your pedals?

When I'm driving at night, the most effective thing I've seen is a pair of amber strips moving up and down. I think they are more effective than your average hi vis jacket worn by someone taking their dog out for a dump on the pavement.

Clothing wise, I saw a jacket advertised ages ago that was made out of Illuminite material so the whole thing acts as a big body sized reflector at night, but looks like a plain black jacket in the daytime. No idea where you can buy them though, or if it worked as well as they claimed :?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Dashing Tweeds have lumatwill woven into their cloth and do some cycling wear. (Warning:Rapha-esque pricing)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    While I was in Halfords I bought these reflective metal strips that bend around your wrist / ankle / whatever when you flick them onto the wrist / ankle / whatever.

Really rather good - and now I don't have that paranoia about non reflective pedals, and they can bit wrapped around anything, plus aren't bike clips. :wink:

edit: found it:

Slap Wrap
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Thanks for the ideas - I've taken a few of your suggestions and by next week, may look a little like a Christmas tree when I get caught in the headlights but should still look relatively understated in daylight!

I've ordered the Glo-marka silver Sam Browne and a couple of silver arm/ankle bands.

And some reflective tape/stickers for putting some viz on the bike - up front edge of each crank arm should make up for not having pedal reflectors.

What are the odds that I'll get it all on - and then have my first SMIDSY pull out of the season? :roll:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Reflective tape is great. Plenty of choice on EBay. I have stealth black on the bikes that don't normally go out at night - seat post and back of pedals and helmet.

On my winter bike that's plastered in the white reflective tape. All the way down the guards and mudflap and pretty much on every tube.

I've also got some TyreFlys on my valve caps. So I don't rely on car lights hitting me - my wheels flash pretty visibly.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!