Non- yellow reflective things...

Applespider
Applespider Posts: 506
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I've switched to panniers and am conscious that I don't have anything reflective on my upper body now that I'm not using the Hump cover.

I don't really want to get a vest/gilet since the cheap ones just make me sweat and look awful. And my good Pearl Izumi one feels a little 'neat' over my winter jacket. So I was thinking about getting a Sam Browne belt - but I don't want yellow. Has anyone seen any other colours of Sam Browne? Red or silver perhaps?

I'm seriously thinking about buying some 3M sew-on reflective and trying to make one.

Or any other more interesting reflective things than the omnipresent yellow arm bands...

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Explain in much more detail this "neat" thing - pref with pics
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    My helmet (Spesh Echelon) has reflective bits on the lid, and also the straps. Not sure if this is just a 2011 feature or whether it's on the older versions.

I'm not sure how effective it is, I know the Hump cover I used to use looked very good from some angles.

I think the best idea is to just chuck a flashing red light on the back of the helmet...should probably do that myself. The guys I see on my commute with 2 lights on the back always seem to stand out a lot.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Orange for that Tango-d look or Pink if you like to look a bit like Mr Blobby :)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've got a yellow sam browne belt and it's fantastic. Might look a bit n00b but you can tell straight away you're approaching a cyclist from a car. Felt much safer with it on.

As a unexpected benefit, it also pinches in the flappy sides of a slightly too big winter jacket making you more aero into a headwind (and makes you look thinner(unless you're a big fat fatty)).
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Sorry, I hate the daglo look. I know it's not fair but whenever I see a Sam Browne belt my first thought is "insecure inexperienced rider" totaly not fair I grant, but by the same token if I see a bloke in robes with a big cross on a stick I think "Bishop"

The flourescent colours are only effective in daylight anyway, and as soon as it's not daylight I put on lights........so what difference does it make if I'm dressed from head to toe in dayglo pink with clashing orange socks?

The reflectors are all reasonably subtle, but there are a shed load of them. A straw on every spoke (from the side I look like Tron) and 3m detailing on all of my cycling kit. With decent lights on the bike I reckon that's all you need.

Anybody claiming SMIDSY will be beaten to death with the stump of one of their own arms.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • there's a difference between a uniform for the job and choice Mr Bishop! been cycling over 30 years daily for 20+ and am a fan of anything that screams cyclist to other road users (in addition to being on a bike before the smartsrse comment flood in) pedal reflectors & sam browne belts being 2 real biggys for that.

only ever seen the SBBs in yellow though. plenty of places do different colour arm slap bands that work nicely as indicators. Reflective is good and should be essential but decent lights should be your primary method of being seen outside of broad daylight.

my wheels go round pretty fast, I have a 3m reflective tube on every other roadside spoke and that is more than enough to give a solid disc of reflection.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Nope, you won't convince me.

This is the only Sam Brown you'd catch me dead with :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDZD3wgoHI
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    I got a mesh running running bib - which was blue with silvery reflective strips.

But I wear it - running

On the bike i wear my work hi viz or my luminous yellow gore jacket (al be it without much reflective stuff on it)

In my experience yellow or orange are well worth it in dim light, and even in dark dark you will show up more.

I also sometimes wear those snap around reflective things on my ankle when commuting.
  • I scalped a bloke last night who was wearing a hi-viz jacket and a hi-viz backpack cover, thing is, as it was dark and they had no reflectives on them at all, all I could see of him was a very dim rear light. Only when I got up close did I spot that he'd actually made an effort.

OP, reflectives are always a good idea. Why not make your own? eBay some SOLAS tape and stick it round something that you find comfortable to wear. Better than the Noobness of the Sam Brown, and you'll be able to get most colours.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    There is some 3M tape in the motorbike section(or there used to be) in halfords, it's for putting around the edge of motorbike wheels but works great on bikes, I have it down the back of both seat stays, a strip under the seat clanp and various stripes on the top and down tubes

That combined with the reflectives on the back of my shoes, clothes and bag and the two rear and two front lights I think I am covered, white is the best colour at night because it reflects the most light back which is why I like my torm arm warmers.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    +1 for the light on the back of the helmet. Poundland do (or did) a rear light that you could clip into the strap at the back.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    I have a silver Sam Browne that I got from here:

http://www.glo-marka.co.uk/gallery.php?cat=11

Very dashing.
  • I am too vain to wear dayglo yellow too but find the reflective spokes and reflective strips on lots of other stuff is a compromise I can live with.

I saw these that look interesting - http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/accessori ... ivity-194/
    just clip them onto your clothes or bag. I've not used them but like the idea.

Or you could always wear a pair of the fancy Rapha trousers that have the fold up reflective section if you're feeling rich.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Nope, you won't convince me.

This is the only Sam Brown you'd catch me dead with :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDZD3wgoHI

rowrrrrrr :wink:
  • Thanks guys - I have spoke reflectors and a Knog on the back of the helmet already as well as my regular bike lights. It's just that I know I always notice cyclist up ahead who have some reflectivity on the body - let's face it, it's a bigger, more horizontal area than the back of my bike or my pannier - so more likely to be noticed.

Origamist, I found glo-marka late last night and have mailed them to find out how to order and get their prices. They do both silver and red so may have a choice to make. What's the quality like? Apparently Halfords do one but the sole review online is very poor with regards to the finish.

The Claq's look interesting although pretty small - they would clip quite nicely to the back pockets of my jacket though so definitely worth thinking about. And yes, a pair of Rapha trousers would be lovely but sadly not on the cards right now!

I have a very handy colleague with a sewing machine who has offered to do some some stitching if I end up 'making' one. I did think about the SOLAS tape but not entirely sure I want to tape it onto my breathable jacket.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Solas probably not good for fabrics - google for the 3M data sheet. Not for stretchy fabrics. Hand wash only, if you insist. Also a material that works well at relatively large entrance and observation angles is good.

Sew-on does seem to be the way to go - it seems the only way to get something that's rated as machine washable. Sewing instructions in the data sheet :shock:

http://www.beseenonabike.co.uk/acatalog ... -sheet.pdf
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Or you could always wear a pair of the fancy Rapha trousers that have the fold up reflective section if you're feeling rich.

Do they? ...goes off to check
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Sorry, I hate the daglo look. I know it's not fair but whenever I see a Sam Browne belt my first thought is "insecure inexperienced rider" totaly not fair I grant, but by the same token if I see a bloke in robes with a big cross on a stick I think "Bishop"

The flourescent colours are only effective in daylight anyway, and as soon as it's not daylight I put on lights........so what difference does it make if I'm dressed from head to toe in dayglo pink with clashing orange socks?

You're quite right, but Sam Brown's are reflective as well as day-glo.

Though relatively vain, I couldn't care less what my cycling look suggests to those around me providing it gets me seen. Besides, there's nothing more galling than being scalped by someone you assume to be a weaker rider than you simply because of what they wear or what they ride (I've learnt this the hard way many times myself).
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    itboffin wrote:

Do they? ...goes off to check

These are cooler - pocket flaps too.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Had the same worry when I switched away from a backpack as all my cycle gear is fairly smart/dark clothing. Ended up adding a small light to my helmet and upping the power of my main light.

This winter I've upped the ante and spent a few hour today cutting up an A4 patch of 3M tape and Hi-Vized the frame and my helmet.

Black
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/respro-hi-viz-b ... ker-sheet/
    White
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/respro-hi-viz-p ... ker-sheet/
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Origamist, I found glo-marka late last night and have mailed them to find out how to order and get their prices. They do both silver and red so may have a choice to make. What's the quality like? Apparently Halfords do one but the sole review online is very poor with regards to the finish.

Quality is good. The plastic buckle engages positively and the material is hard wearing. I did have to put some gaffer tape on one of the seams as it snagged a jersey though.
  • my wheels go round pretty fast, I have a 3m reflective tube on every other roadside spoke and that is more than enough to give a solid disc of reflection.

I like the idea of the reflective tubes on spokes but no amount of cunning work on Google has produced anything. Any suggestions as to where to get these?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Halfords. Can't remember the cost though.

Lidl do them, but once a year, around September, I think. Cheaper too.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/reflective-spoke-sticks-id_8191875.html

zoom_asset_49016014.jpg

They were half this price at Lidl but I dont know if there were the same number in the box.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    apreading wrote:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/reflective-spoke-sticks-id_8191875.html

They were half this price at Lidl but I dont know if there were the same number in the box.

The Lidl ones were a fiver for 36 -- effectively the same price.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    my wheels go round pretty fast, I have a 3m reflective tube on every other roadside spoke and that is more than enough to give a solid disc of reflection.

I like the idea of the reflective tubes on spokes but no amount of cunning work on Google has produced anything. Any suggestions as to where to get these?

I'd already mentioned them on a similar thread:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165636

3 for 2 at the moment
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

3 for 2 at the moment

Perfect for my 54 spoke wheels..... :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    PBo wrote:

3 for 2 at the moment

I gave a pack each to my two commuting mates at work and have 18 reflectors for each of my 36 spoke wheels, so nuh. :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    PBo wrote:

3 for 2 at the moment

I gave a pack each to my two commuting mates at work and have 18 reflectors for each of my 36 spoke wheels, so nuh. :P

I don't have any commuting friends.
    Actually i don't have any friends.....
    You should have charged full price to each, and you would have got yours free!!! (maybe that's why I have no friends).