Best Chippy in London

2»

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    bobinski: don't know. Don't live that way no more.

chadders: my old man is rough as. Properly frightening. Was in the CH Skins.
    Horrible bloke really, but I love him, coz he's me dad.

:lol:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    SecretSam wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Can you still not get mushy peas or curry aside down there? Or is that a northern myth?

Certainly in sunny Aylesbury you can get Mushy peas, which are God's own invention and make fish and chips complete

"Curry Aside"????? WTF is that?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Curry sauce, damnyouautocorrect.com
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    edited October 2011
    This one in Stoke Newington. A fishmonger on one side and a chippy on the other.

Everything is cooked to order and very very fresh indeed. A cut above.

http://www.the-fishery.net/fisheryfb.html

http://www.doshermanos.co.uk/2008/08/fi ... h-bar.html
  • Nother vote for Fryers Delight; exclent. And another against Seashells in Lisson Grove. Been there twice, as thought first time must have been a freak bad day. It wasn't - overpriced nonsense easily bettered (battered?) by your average small town van. Though I suppose they don't do chardonnay with it; whoopie.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    The one on Cross Road in Kingston.

That would be the one I can smell on the way home but have never seen then.

Mrs A hates fish. She's out on Friday night so guess what I'll be getting.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I must go and investigate Emily's too. It's the thing I hate most about London - there are no chippies that compare to the ones in Scotland.

They leave the skin on the fish (eurgh) and don't have proper chippie brown sauce.

Still.... on the upside, it makes it a lot easier to resist craving a fish supper.

The best chips I've had recently in London were at the Hawksmoor fried in beef dripping....
  • I must go and investigate Emily's too. It's the thing I hate most about London - there are no chippies that compare to the ones in Scotland.

They leave the skin on the fish (eurgh) and don't have proper chippie brown sauce.

Still.... on the upside, it makes it a lot easier to resist craving a fish supper.

The best chips I've had recently in London were at the Hawksmoor fried in beef dripping....

I don't know which part of SE London you live, but the best F&C I know of around this part of the world is the Golden Chippy in Greenwich High Road. I must check out the Herne Hill ones mentioned upthread, though. I'll have to eat them there, though - they'll be cold by the time I get them home in this weather.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gussio wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    The one on the hill between Highgate and Holloway

Iceland? (I used to live opposite the Whittington.)

Yes, Iceland. Around 15 years ago I lived on Dartmouth Park Hill, halfway between the Whittington and the Lord Palmerston. Before that it was just behind the Shepherds on Archway Lane at the top of the hill. At the time, there was a kebab shop in Tuffnell Park that won second prize in the Evening Standard best kebab in London competition. Also back then the Dartmouth Arms was run by a Stoke fan landlord who used to bring out Staffordshire oatcakes at half time when showing Stoke games.

Happy days.

And sessions in The Flask, or further north in The Haringey Arms in Crouch End, and footy (with jumpers-for-goalposts) on Sunday afternoon in Ali Pally.

Yes, happy days indeed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

That's the one. It's lovely. I'll be going there tomorrow. I'll be eating it when you're still riding home. Did I say it was lovely?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Nautilus top of West End Lane is outstanding. Then Toffs in Muswsell Hill and the Two Brothers in Finchley. The F&C shop in Endell Street (Covt Garden) is Rock and Sole Plaice and used to be great (but I've not been there for years)
    vitus dural 979 campag super record
    cento uno centaur
    Shorter pave - winter
  • The one on Bromley Hill is a) pretty decent and b) always makes me want fish and chips if I cycle past it. I tend to take the back way, in part to avoid the temptation. So few old school chippies left though - I used to work in St Mary Cray and there was a properly old-fashioned chippy there, near the station somewhere. Proper steamy chippy atmosphere and lovely chips. This was getting on for 10 years ago so no idea if it's still there.

Only other one I can think of is on Croydon Rd going out of Beckenham but I can't remember what it's called.
  • kelsen wrote:
    Happy Days near Spitalfields Market
    +1 on this... we often go in there for 'working lunches'
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Nautilus top of West End Lane is outstanding. Then Toffs in Muswsell Hill and the Two Brothers in Finchley. The F&C shop in Endell Street (Covt Garden) is Rock and Sole Plaice and used to be great (but I've not been there for years)

+1 on Two Brothers... also Sea Pebbles in Hatch End and White House in Stanmore both very good, if a tad further out...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

That's the one. It's lovely. I'll be going there tomorrow. I'll be eating it when you're still riding home. Did I say it was lovely?

Eating it when I'm still riding home? Working from home and not clocking up any miles then?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Eating it when I'm still riding home? Working from home and not clocking up any miles then?

Nope, just that you'll still be riding into the sticks after I've stopped off, bought fish and chips for the family, sat down and start eating, sorry, devouring, it.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Nope, just that you'll still be riding into the sticks after I've stopped off, bought fish and chips for the family, sat down and start eating, sorry, devouring, it.

I might pop in tonight and try it. Fish, chips, mushy peas, battered sausage and a can of Dr Pepper. Surely I can get from Kingston to Walton without getting it caught in the front wheel and it will still be warm....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Burlingtons on Windmill Hill opposite Enfield Chase station. The last time I went there was back in 2003 during the intermission of the weekly jazz gig at the golf course pub up the road. Absolutely incredible F&C then and judging by the reviews it's still top of the heap...
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Alexander's , Christopher Street, EC2A
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Had a few beers in the Kings Arms, Roupell St last night and then went to Masters Superfish. It is absolutely stunning. Ultra crispy batter, fish steamed to perfection, a mountain of chips and a pickle trolley. And then 2 minutes walk to my train home.

Pretty grim inside though. Nothing like these trendy new places springing up.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Just thought of another. Olley's on Great Suffolk Street. I defy anyone to finish a 'large' chips from there. The standard portion is huge.

And I'm going there for lunch. :D
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    My local's hard to beat -- The Fish Plaice, 86 Cambridge Heath Road.

Been run for 30-odd years by a lovely married couple.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Fish Kitchen in either

Borough Market, Norbiton / Kingston or Sheen http://www.fishkitchen.com/

Recommend Halibut instead of cod, very very good.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5