Gaddafi dead

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Don't celebrate until you know what will follow.

Just saying......................
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    daviesee wrote:

Yeah they should have left him alone :roll:
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    daviesee wrote:

Rumour is the Dale Farm pikeys are going to move in.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Golden gun. Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. I want a golden gun as well.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Reuters reporting he called the NTC "mongs".
  • LeicesterLad
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Reuters reporting he called the NTC "mongs".

No wonder they killed him, the insensitive pig.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Pretty graphic pictures on yahoo news
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    not dead - now living in Argentina, next door to Hitler....
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    daviesee wrote:

Rumour is the Dale Farm pikeys are going to move in.

They should move to Abu Dhabi, it says 'travellers welcome' on that tv ad. :lol:
  • LeicesterLad
    Pseudonym wrote:

In a 3 bed villa with Elvis and Princess Di
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Tom Dean wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I am not saying that it is a bad thing to have happened, just that it might not necessarily mean things will get any better.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pseudonym wrote:

In a 3 bed villa with Elvis and Princess Di

With that room configuration, I'm guessing they take turns?
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    daviesee wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I am not saying that it is a bad thing to have happened, just that it might not necessarily mean things will get any better.

True, but you could say the same about anything really. If you were pessemistic before, surely this is a step in the right direction?
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    A trial might have been nice. We get them in this country, dont we? Weird how we dont seem bothered about them when it's "a bad man" who gets strung up. Abroad.
  • It was Gaddafi? That makes sense, I was stuck in traffic and glanced at a tv shop saw the photos and wondered why anyone would want to kill Fatima Whitbred. :shock:
  • Rigga
    rodgers73 wrote:
    A trial might have been nice. We get them in this country, dont we? Weird how we dont seem bothered about them when it's "a bad man" who gets strung up. Abroad.

A trial might have been nice in what way exactly? Nice like the Saddam trial where he was given a pedestal to preach his twisted beliefs and threaten numerous witnesses and judges with death? Yeah let's all give him a fair trial ffs!
  • Rigga wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

A trial might have been nice in what way exactly? Nice like the Saddam trial where he was given a pedestal to preach his twisted beliefs and threaten numerous witnesses and judges with death? Yeah let's all give him a fair trial ffs!

In the way that that's the way the law operates. Of course at a trial questions would have arisen as to the legality of 1973 being used to instigate regime change. Criminals removing a criminal does not make for a peaceful world.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Rigga
    Rigga wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

In the way that that's the way the law operates. Of course at a trial questions would have arisen as to the legality of 1973 being used to instigate regime change. Criminals removing a criminal does not make for a peaceful world.

What good did the Saddam trial do then? Did it create a peaceful Iraq?
  • Rigga wrote:
    Rigga wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

What good did the Saddam trial do then? Did it create a peaceful Iraq?

No, you're absolutely correct, but again it was an illegal invading force bringing to trial a man guilty of illegal acts. IMO using violence as a synonym for freedom can only lead to trouble. But yes, re Iraq, you are correct sir.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • LeicesterLad
    I can see why a bullet in Sadam and And Gaddafi is justifiable, but the world just cannot work like that. Otherwise i'd be sitting outside the Old Bailey capping every nonse on his way in. At the end of the day, the Saddam trial was only going to end one way, the same as it would have with Gaddafi, they were not like to be found innocent. It just means shooting/hanging/electrifying afterwords is Legally justified.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,629
    Gaddafi dead! Could be suicide. He was a Westlife fan after all.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Rigga
    I can see why a bullet in Sadam and And Gaddafi is justifiable, but the world just cannot work like that. Otherwise i'd be sitting outside the Old Bailey capping every nonse on his way in. At the end of the day, the Saddam trial was only going to end one way, the same as it would have with Gaddafi, they were not like to be found innocent. It just means shooting/hanging/electrifying afterwords is Legally justified.[/quote

Im not talking about trials in this country. I just think when its despots like Saddam, Gadaffi and Bin Laden they are better off dead rather than standing trial.

Lets not forget during Saddams trial a judge was murdered, not to mention numerous death threats to members of the jury, prosecution and other judges. Then while ever the leader is alive there is always the threat of kidnap in exchange for their release.

All in all it is far easier on everyone involved if said despot is dead and buried.
  • rodgers73
    We live in a liberal democracy where everything we do as individuals and as a nation is regulated by law.

"The rule of law" is held up as an ideal we are proud of and is referred to as being shockingly absent in other countries where corruption and/or tyranny prevail.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a concept that, if we decided to do away with here would be seen as a trip back to the Dark Ages. In fact, I find the prospect of such a change in our jurisprudence to be so unlikely as to be virtually impossible.

I find it funny then in circumstances like the death of Gaddaffi or the arrest of Saddam that people in this country seem to either to want (or in retrospect approve of) summary justice being dished out. Seemingly just because its abroad. As if our values don't extend beyond the Channel.

The end of the Nazi regime revealed horrors that make Gadaffi and Saddam look like small time crooks and we dealt with them at the Nuremberg trials. Both Milosevic and Saddam's trial may have been circuses but that is down to how they were conducted, not proof that such trials don't "work".

In this case its clearly too late to do anything about the outcome but I still think the missed chance of putting him on trial is regrettable.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    seanoconn wrote:
    Gaddafi dead! Could be suicide. He was a Westlife fan after all.

He also thought that The Stone Roses were overrated.
  • lemoncurd wrote:
    He also thought that The Stone Roses were overrated.

Don't make me respect Gaddafi!
  • The man was a tyrant, he wasn't captured in the UK where no doubt we'd have paid a fortune EVENTUALLY having a trial (no doubt after years of legal wrangling) and dishing out some custodial sentence. That's how WE do things here it's OUR society.

He was captured in his own country which has the values he created and inflicted upon it and its people, and his people metered out justice how they saw fit and in a fashion many of their bretheren suffered. Gadaffi has no one to blame but himself.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • The man was a tyrant, he wasn't captured in the UK where no doubt we'd have paid a fortune EVENTUALLY having a trial (no doubt after years of legal wrangling) and dishing out some custodial sentence. That's how WE do things here it's OUR society.

He was captured in his own country which has the values he created and inflicted upon it and its people, and his people metered out justice how they saw fit and in a fashion many of their bretheren suffered. Gadaffi has no one to blame but himself.

Nail hit nicely on the head.
  • rodgers73
    I was talking about the welcoming his death has received here. I'm aware of the impracticality of bringing him here for trial, but would have preferred it.
  • I seem to recall the Romanians executed Ceausescu with very little fuss. Dictators when they get their comeuppance it tends to be with very little sympathy from the people they,ve opressed. Perfectly understandable, not saying it's right but understandable.

Why bring Gaddafi here to try him anyway?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.