Ghadaffi Caught

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Early reports mixed as to whether alive or dead....

Will this be the end of the civil war and the road to stability in Libya.
Achieved with a lot less bloodshed than Iraq, and by the looks with the backing of the majority of the people.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There's a pretty gory looking picture (apparently) of him post-capture taken by a mobile phone on the guardian (and presumably elsewhere), if you want to have a look.

I get the impression there are big tensions between the different rebel groups.

Now that Gadaffi and his loyalists are virtually defeated, I'd expect some bickering to begin. How severe that bickering is, remains to be seen. I'm not hugely optimistic.

As an aside, has anyone been following Tunisia? Didn't they have their first proper election for a while yesterday?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It will likely make bugger all differnce. Figurehead gone, but internal hatreds remain and the AK47 is still going cheap and strong.

I genuinely can't imagine a cessation of hostilities in the entire region, well, basically ever.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    this one?

daffy.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Achieved with a lot less bloodshed than Iraq, and by the looks with the backing of the majority of the people.

The real bloodshed in Iraq didn't start until after the 'Mission Accomplished' cries.

I wonder when Yemen will hit the agenda?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    I don't understand why people here and elsewhere started to celebrate so early.

OK, let's agree Gaddafi was a bad guy. And he was not elected, so dunno how many people indeed wanted him there. But the next ones? They got there by machine guns too. Not elected.

Are the next guys going to be better than him? Nobody knows. And they too got there by force, nobody elected them.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    OK, let's agree Gaddafi was a bad guy. And he was not elected, so dunno how many people indeed wanted him there. But the next ones? They got there by machine guns too. Not elected.

Now that Sirte has fallen, there will be a 30 day period while the NTC morphs into the new transitional government, which will remain in power for 8mths. After this period elections will be held and a new, elected government will take the reigns. This seems like a pretty good start.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    .........And stands as much chance as a black rapist in an Alabama courtroom.

Hope I'm wrong mind you....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Well I hope he isn't dead and that it's a ruse. therefore he can be quietly taken to Camp X Ray and burned at the stake on behalf of all 259 souls on board Pan Am Flight 103.

Mummar - You made your bed now jolly well die in it!!! :twisted: :evil:
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Sky are reporting him as dead
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    Pep wrote:
    I don't understand why people here and elsewhere started to celebrate so early.

Really?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    he doesn't look too happy/ well in the picture i posted :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Looks like a still from a zombie horror film
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Gussio wrote:

Now that Sirte has fallen, there will be a 30 day period while the NTC morphs into the new transitional government, which will remain in power for 8mths. After this period elections will be held and a new, elected government will take the reigns. This seems like a pretty good start.

Sounds good.
    Who told you?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Paul E wrote:
    Looks like a still from a zombie horror film

But to be fair, he looked like that at the best of times.
  • rick_chasey
    The video where the picture was taken is here.

http://t.co/KADrAPM0

There's always an sense of bathos when you see these things.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Aerozine50 wrote:
    Well I hope he isn't dead and that it's a ruse. therefore he can be quietly taken to Camp X Ray and burned at the stake on behalf of all 259 souls on board Pan Am Flight 103.

Mummar - You made your bed now jolly well die in it!!! :twisted: :evil:

Don't forget the 11 others in Lockerbie..... though I am not convinced it was Libya behind it. Not alone anyway.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Gussio
    Pep wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Sounds good.
    Who told you?

It is open source in a statement from the NTC.

"The NTC has said that it aims to declare the liberation of Libya once Sirte has fallen, to move swiftly to form a transitional government within 30 days and to hold elections for a constitutional assembly within the following eight months."
  • What I want to know is how the NTC managed to take over Libya from their previous powerbase of middle-class expectant parents. Terrifying, what is next on their path to world domination?
    <a>road</a>
  • What I want to know is how the NTC managed to take over Libya from their previous powerbase of middle-class expectant parents. Terrifying, what is next on their path to world domination?

Free schools probably :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As I have said earlier in other threads about this and other areas, wait until the dust settles before celebrating.
    Just because he is gone doesn't necessarily mean things will get any better.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Why do media outlets inset in posting images of the recently dead. Unnecessary and distasteful regardless of who the individual is/was - Ghadaffi or Wouter Weylandt.
  • Another tyrant who, instead of a) personally facing justice and b) being given a chance to also shop others of his entourage is "conveniently despatched" by or on the orders of people who would otherwise, with the colonel alive and testifying, also be facing some dire charges themselves. It's exactly what happened with Ceaucescu and Saddam; Gaddafi's crew of bastards are still at large and, with him gone, breathing a sigh. In so many ways, not good.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    Why do media outlets inset in posting images of the recently dead. Unnecessary and distasteful regardless of who the individual is/was - Ghadaffi or Wouter Weylandt.
    +1 Its voyeuristic.

For all those applauding... why does his death please you more than his losing power? Today was a bit of mob justice, overthrowing the regime a couple of months ago was life changing for Lybians (possibly).

You
    > the point.
  • Why do media outlets inset in posting images of the recently dead. Unnecessary and distasteful regardless of who the individual is/was - Ghadaffi or Wouter Weylandt.
    +1 Its voyeuristic.

For all those applauding... why does his death please you more than his losing power? Today was a bit of mob justice, overthrowing the regime a couple of months ago was life changing for Lybians (possibly).

You
    > the point.

couldnt agree more. well said.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Very convenient for certain western governments that he was "accidentally" shot dead in some "crossfire" and didn't end up on the stand at The Hague, testifying about all the support, arms and money he received over the years for oil concessions and god knows what else.

The mealy-mouthed hypocritical rubbish spouted by Cameron, Obama et al leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.
    <a>road</a>
  • rick_chasey
    +1 Its voyeuristic.

You
    > the point.

I don't think Gaddafi deserves respect or taste. He gave up the right not to have his body treated with any respect whatsoever a long time ago.

i think in exceptional situations, it absolutely does matter who they are.
  • Gussio
    ^^^^ Fair point but it doesn't mean that Sky News has to show show footage of his final moments on loop.
  • rick_chasey
    Gussio wrote:
    ^^^^ Fair point but it doesn't mean that Sky News has to show show footage of his final moments on loop.

Why not?

You don't have to watch.
  • Gussio
    Why not? Because it is far from dignified. I'd rather listen to someone like Philip Hammond talking (never thought I'd say that) about what comes next.
  • rick_chasey
    Gussio wrote:
    Why not? Because it is far from dignified. I'd rather listen to someone like Philip Hammond talking (never thought I'd say that) about what comes next.

Why does Gaddafi's body deserve to be treated with dignity?