Winters here, Wrap-Up!

2»

Comments

• bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    I've bought lots of base layers and thermal this n that and find commuting home - if snowing i could be naked and I'd still pish sweat

I thought my body would adapt eventually for some reason and get used to being hot..
    have to stroll when commuting into work so I don't smell funky all day but roadies slow down for hills so it'd be rude not to show em how its done (after making a meal of passing me on the flat)

as said previously more layers = more sweat and if you do stop to de-layer the wind chill on sweat will soon make you cool/hyperthermic
  • bushu wrote:
    I've bought lots of base layers and thermal this n that and find commuting home - if snowing i could be naked and I'd still pish sweat

I thought my body would adapt eventually for some reason and get used to being hot..
    have to stroll when commuting into work so I don't smell funky all day but roadies slow down for hills so it's be rude not to show em how its done (after making a meal of passing me on the flat)

as said previously more layers = more sweat and if you do stop to de-layer the wind chill on sweat will soon make you cool/hyperthermic

Hi bushu, if you haven't already you should seriously try some merino base layers. I too overheat even in deepest winter but have found that merino whilst not the best at wicking away moisture does keep you at a pretty even temp even when damp + is very comfy and the trump card, really does not smell like synthetic stuff. Give it a whirl. On-one and planet-x had theirs at ridiculously low prices recently. P.s. Real roadies never slow down for hills let alone let a knobly tyred MTB pass em....
  • bushu
    this isn't crud so I'm not going to bite.. i do have the on-one merino's and they are awesome compared to polyfabric&co but find that alone is enough for this time of year, my only gripe is my rucksack destroys them easily :(
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    depends how steep the hill is :wink:

my missus has shrunk one of my nice merino, non-cycling v neck jumpers so that it is virtually skin tight: as an experiment i am going to try it out either over a wicking baselayer or just on bare skin; i predict this will be a good look for mountainbiking
  • spoken like a gentleman bushu and I have to say I have the same problem with my ibex ones - they do fall to bits eventually though mine seem to be more from running than cycling.
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    I swap my endura shorts for endura 3/4, the rest is the same all year round!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • I tried on a merino base and found it was like my nans jumper she had made for me :oops:

So instead i tend to use normal sports tops as they wick the sweat away far better than anything i have bought that is "special bike specific" then stick a jersey on top for warmth.

hen it gets mega cold maybe il buy a windstopper but thats all you need for bike specific, anti wind.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I never cease to be amazed at how many people wear waterproof jackets to ride in, whether or not it's raining. They're so sweaty, unless it's incredibly cold and precipitating I'd rather just get wet!

Base layer and a softshell top is enough IMO, couldn't be doing with keeping my knees out though, definitely roubaix knee/leg warmers or tights!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, it has to be pretty damn cold before I can wear a waterproof jacket... Got a waterproof gillet that I wear a lot though, keeping the arms as radiators.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bushu
    well i thought i was smart being dry today, half way home in my waterproof dhb kit then i wished i hadn't bothered. Was boiling in the bag even with the front of my jacket open.. had to slow down :x so i didnt totally evaporate
  • just seen this jacket, and what can i saw, i really really wish i could justify spending £170 on a jacket
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... %20stealth

:shock:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • I bought the gore oxygen waterproof jacket and i almost considered returning it it cost so much but it was the best thing i ever bought once i actually rode in it
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    On the few occasions I've actually worn my Altura Attack, I have to say it's been amazing. Just, not all that much use for it since it's not often cold enough to wear it and when it is, it tends not to rain.
    Uncompromising extremist