Winters here, Wrap-Up!

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited October 2011 in MTB general
So i was wondering what do people wear in the winter here?

Head to Toe...

Il start.

Helmet, nothin else (got hair for warmth)
Running T-Shirt (nippy at times :P ) (soon to be replaced by Gore Windstopper T-shirt)
Endura signletrack shorts (really are great shorts)
Seal skins thermal socks
Spez expert SPD shoes
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• That's all you wear in the winter?

I wear a base layer both upper and lower, a wooly vest, a jacket, my shorts with leg warmers, SPD shoes with winter covers, and some nice and toasty gloves. One of those windproof skull caps and a helmet. Then again, in winter time we barely ever go above 0 degrees c.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

Head to Toe...

Il start.

Running T-Shirt (nippy at times :P ) (soon to be replaced by Gore Windstopper T-shirt)
    Seal skins thermal socks
    Spez expert SPD shoes
    I guess you've never actually ridden in winter?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Mmmmm, sounds hypothermic!

Depends on quite how cold, and I have loads of winter kit, but something like:

- Little fleecy skull cap thing if it's really cold
    - base layer of sorts, got an Altura compression one which is good, or an aging Briko one which is very warm
    - pair of bib shorts
    - Assos bibtights, possibly the Airblock ones if it's REALLY cold, just leg warmers if it's not too cold
    - windproof jacket of sorts (got a couple of Assos 851s and a Gore softshell thingy that are first choices), team jersey/gilet over the top if it's an MTB or club ride, if it's not too cold I'll just wear a team jersey and gilet
    - DeFeet Woollie Boolie socks
    - Northwave Celcius/Fahrenheit boots (depending on road or MTB)
    - Windproof gloves; got Gore Mistrals, Gore Tools or Specialized Radiants depending on how cold it is
  • cooldad wrote:

Head to Toe...

Il start.

Seal skins thermal socks
    Spez expert SPD shoes
    I guess you've never actually ridden in winter?
    Depends on how severe a temperature and if he is hot blooded. I often rode over the chase last winter 0 degrees and below in shorts and T-shirt. It felt bloody cold for the first 5 mins, but then I was fine. Even had a sweaty back from my camel back. If I wrap up warm within minutes I end up sweating like a rapist.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Rode to work this morning wearing
    Helmet
    Long sleeve merino wool baselayer
    short sleeve jersey
    Gore Phantom jacket (windproof)
    Windproof gloves with short fingered 'mitt's over the top
    3/4length bib shorts
    Endura baggy shorts
    socks and regular SPD shoes.

Fingers were cold, the rest of me was just right.

Once 'proper' winter hits I've got full length bib tights and winter gloves.

On the MTB I'd be wearing pretty much the same at the same temps, but with full finger gloves rather than the short fingered ones.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    Winter = wet, muddy and around 0 deg C. I would expect gloves at least.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    An omission by me - sealskins gloves...... and while I'm at it, sealskins socks
  • bails87
    cooldad wrote:

And in summer you like to work on your all-over tan? :lol:
    MTB/CX

• cooldad
    bails87 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

And in summer you like to work on your all-over tan? :lol:
    Works to clear the trails as well. Double win.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Winter. Same gear, just MTFU and keep riding to keep warm.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    Cycle to work consists of:

Mop of thick hair!(skull cap when really cold)
    Helmet
    T-Shirt
    Arm Warmers(Lidl Specials)
    Wind/Waterproof Polaris Jacket
    Boxers
    Baggy Shorts
    Leg Warmers(Lidl Specials)
    Socks
    Trainers
    Giro Remedy Gloves(Snowboarding gloves come out when really cold)

Out riding is pretty much the same except long sleeved Fox or Royal top!
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Even winter varies. So the layered approach, mix and match.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Winter kit for same as last year, black PVC thong Sealskin socks and gloves oh and Mavic shoes, nearly forgot to mention the shoes how stupid would you think I was with no shoes :lol::lol:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • I went out last night and the temp had dropped to 2c

I try not to wear my waterproof as I gets stuffy,

my list from the bottom up
    shoes
    wool socks
    thermal bib tights
    padded under shorts
    normal gloves,
    baselayer t shirt
    long sleeve base layer shirt
    ridding t shirt
    Polar buff round neck
    standard buff on my head
    helmet, which I also wear on my head :)

so last night I felt fine, Any colder and I think I would have to inverst in over shoes, glove liners, and windproof, but as long as your cores nice and warm you'll be fine.

one thing I don't like is how frezzing cold my drink gets.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Piss Pot helmet (less vents)
    Buff Scarf (got another free with this months MBUK)
    Merino Long Sleeve
    Synthetic Long Sleeve
    Endura Flyte PTFE Waterproof
    Endura Trousers
    Bib
    Seal Skins
    Gortex Shoes
  • Today I wore.

Lid
    Tech T
    Long sleeved T
    Windproof medium weight gloves
    Humvee shorts
    Wool socks
    Lake mx140 boots (it might have been wet, it wasnt).

In the midst of winter I would swap gloves to warmer/waterproof ones, socks to merino/Sealskinz and pop a warmer top on.
    This year i may venture towards trousers/bibs or at least knee warmers.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    We did our usual ride on Wednesday night and it was fecking cold :evil:

I hadn't quite got my head into cold weather mode, so I went out riding 3/4 leggings, merino t-shirt and windproof fleece on top (plus helmet, gloves etc as usual) whereas I should have been wearing full leggings and a long sleeve thermal top too :?

I am a winp though - I really feel the cold! On the plus side it did make me ride faster though, and I REALLY looked forward to all the nasty uphill sections as at least it gave me a chance to warm up (or feel less cold!)!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Riding in winter is replaced by xc skiing - I tend to wear a bit more than when I ride for that!

But in UK if I ride in winter I usually add another base layer and a windproof jacket - shorts and knee pads take care of the lowers - socks shoes and gloves as summer.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    It always amazes me at this time of year when you see people (mostly commuters) suddenly switch to full on arctic expedition clothing. Sure add an extra layer, windproof gloves etc but it can't be comfortable riding dressed like Portland Bill. Do these people generate no body heat?
  • bails87
    wordnumb
    What gets me more is the people who are riding to work in jeans and a padded hi viz jacket in the middle of summer. I'm a sweaty mess if I wear shorts and a short sleeved jersey!
    MTB/CX

• njee20
    Agreed! At the start of the month, when it was knocking 30 degrees, I passed a chap riding out of the City in full waterproof trousers and a waterproof Altura 'Night Vision' jacket. I was dripping in shorts and a short sleeve jersey!
  • Hey guys (and gals) if you're in need of any winter woollies for the bike check out our website and facebook page. My partner and I just set up in business making merino cycling wool caps, hats and accessories all hand made by us in our East London workshop. We're really just starting out so any opinions or feedback greatly appreciated.

www.woollywheelies.co.uk

www.facebook.com/woollywheelies

Cheers.
  • I wear an Assos jacket that I reckon must be 8 or so years old. I bought it in a charity shop for about a fiver about 4 years ago, and looks like an old model of this one: http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduc ... 6&prod=141.

I had know idea what it was at the time, but its amazing. Unless someone died in it, I can't see why anyone would charity shop it. When its really cold I put a thin merino base layer underneath, but I've ridden really comfortably in sub zero temperatures.
  • njee20
    Lucky bugger! I have an old 851 Assos jacket which is fantastic, the newer ones just aren't quite as warm.
  • just to confirm i do wear gloves, though summer ones :P

I have bad circulation in my hands and feet so i dont feel the cold, though maybe i should wrap up more before my feet+hands fall off :wink:

i personally though find too much makes you sweat tons then as it cools makes you colder than before which i hated, thus i run in shorts and a t-Shirt, though thermal socks.

will let you know how the Gore winstopper T-shirt holds up and the leg warmers will hopefully stop my knees going purple this year :D
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited October 2011
    I run pretty hot, so I just switch to warmer gloves and occasionally a long sleeved top or my excellent mountain-warehouse-£5-fleece-with-the-arms-chopped off. Do have a windproof fleece that I break out for commuting once it's down below -10 or so- after all windchill at 30mph is about another -12. But I have to take that off for the climb home no matter what the weather's doing.

In summer, I just melt basically.

But I do recommend the cheapo fleece, with arms cut off if you so desire- they're not windproof so when you're moving they let a little wind in, when you stop they keep you warmer. Very effective
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    eskimo778 wrote:
    Hey guys (and gals) if you're in need of any winter woollies for the bike check out our website and facebook page. My partner and I just set up in business making merino cycling wool caps, hats and accessories all hand made by us in our East London workshop. We're really just starting out so any opinions or feedback greatly appreciated.

www.woollywheelies.co.uk

Cheers.
    To be brutally honest, they look awful and I wouldn't be seen dead in any of them.
    Will probably appeal to the 'cool' fixie crowd though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    eskimo778 wrote:
    Hey guys (and gals) if you're in need of any winter woollies for the bike check out our website and facebook page. My partner and I just set up in business making merino cycling wool caps, hats and accessories all hand made by us in our East London workshop. We're really just starting out so any opinions or feedback greatly appreciated.

www.woollywheelies.co.uk

Cheers.
    To be brutally honest, they look awful and I wouldn't be seen dead in any of them.
    Will probably appeal to the 'cool' fixie crowd though.

Hi cooldad we're sorry you don't like our hats but thank you for the feedback anyway. Perhaps you could offer some more specific constructive criticism and also tell us what kind of hat you would like to wear on your head? My partner Alex has made some rather fetching rabbit balaclava's you might be interested in?
  • cooldad
    Just looks more like roadie stuff to match their Rapha gear.
    The peaked ones don't look like they'll fit under a helmet and when it's really cold I wear a basic black fleece balaclava.
    I don't do hats, beanies or smilies.
    Like the logo though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Our caps and hats have been designed (and tested successfully) for use under helmets. Yes we are more road and urban cycling orientated, however, there is no reason why our hats cannot be used off road too after all, that was my cycle passion before I rediscovered road cycling. We are small family set up creating carefully hand crafted products made to very high standards but we appreciate they may not be too everyones taste.