On One - Annoying

2»

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    e-c, yhpm
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Get properly geeky and look up/measure the geometry on your current bikes and then compare with the geometry on the on-ones/Planet-Xs

If you re really cheeky, try a few bikes in the LBS that are different and work out what geometry you want from there...

(i ve not done this btw, hence my ribble is a little low for me - more aero though! 8) )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Seen the new On-One Dirty Disco CX bike? Carbon frame + fork and mounts for disc brakes. Shame no mud-guard or rack mounts but that would make a cracking commuter.

quite lovely that, i like it alot!
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I'm off to Bristol bike science on Friday for a "pre sale consultation" but according to the On One site it looks like nearly all frame size/colours are out of stock until the end of November anyway.

Pretty nuts to have no stock of a bike that's got "winter commuter" written all over it at this time of year. :?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I've bought a couple of bikes from on one/planet x. The lack of retail costs and margins is why they are able to offer such stonking deals. If you want something similar to a pompetamine then genesis do a drop bar bike with alfine and discs which you should be able to find to test. But it costs a lot more fro the same spec.

I do what others have suggested - measure a bike that fits me, compare to the geometry listed on the web site and pick size and tweak bars and stem accordingly. I've also found them pretty good if you phone up and discus your measurements, what you like riding, etc.

There's a pretty decent range of fit from a single compact frame (pompetamine is a sloping top tube design). It won't break the bank if you decid you need to swap a stem, etc.

I do take your point though.

J
  • A lot of emphasis has been put on size in this conversation, and I agree with what everyone is saying, it is possible to compare geometry...that is what I done with the Boardman prior to actually seeing the bikes in the flesh.

I think the main thing I wanted to see / try was the 11 speed Alfine, this is new technology, it's not something you can assume you know how it will work unlike a singlespeed or normally geared bike.

When I was looking at Afine bikes when 11 speed was unavailable I did test ride the Genesis, I didn't like it and didn't buy it, perhaps that's why I am a bit cautious with the Pomp.
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    Ha, I was that Pomp owner... still not been anywhere near Essex sorry! I'm occasionally in London central on the weekends, but usually on the District...

'On Your Bike' in London bridge have a good section of Genesis bikes, so expect them to carry the Day 01 11-Speed if you want to trial the Alfine11 on a bike that's similar to the Pompetamine.

I did try the regular 8 Speed Day 01, but much preferred the geometry of the On-One.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Bi50N wrote:
    Ha, I was that Pomp owner...
    How are you finding it?
  • Bi50N
    notsoblue wrote:
    Bi50N wrote:
    How are you finding it?

Love it. Am continuously pimping it when anyone asks for a do-it-all commuter / light tourer / all purpose bike. It's a joy to ride. And look at.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bi50n/tags/pompetamine/
  • Bi50N wrote:
    'On Your Bike' in London bridge have a good section of Genesis bikes, so expect them to carry the Day 01 11-Speed if you want to trial the Alfine11 on a bike that's similar to the Pompetamine.

Is there an 11 speed Day One out now?
  • Bi50N
    It's their 2012 model. Not sure if it's in the wild yet, Evans website says 12th November.

It looks lovely IMO

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cross/day-01/day-01-alfine-11
  • godders1
    Bi50N wrote:
    It looks lovely IMO
    Agree, the price isn't very lovely though! :shock:
  • Bi50N
    Godders1 wrote:
    Bi50N wrote:
    It looks lovely IMO
    Agree, the price isn't very lovely though! :shock:

Nope... But the On-One Versa 11 is essentially the same amount of bike for £500 less, so it's a good reference point!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Bi50N,

That is a thing of beauty.

Talking of which, is that a District I see in your sig? I think that makes three of us with Libraio in the Netherlands
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Bi50N wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Bi50N wrote:
    How are you finding it?

Love it. Am continuously pimping it when anyone asks for a do-it-all commuter / light tourer / all purpose bike. It's a joy to ride. And look at.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bi50n/tags/pompetamine/

Really is a gorgeous bike... How are you finding the alfine? Is it worth the extra £200 over the Kaffenback with SRAM Rival?
  • Bi50N
    notsoblue wrote:

Really is a gorgeous bike... How are you finding the alfine? Is it worth the extra £200 over the Kaffenback with SRAM Rival?

No idea. The only other bike I have recent experience with is the District - belt drive SS - so the fact that I have 7 more gears is exciting enough for me...

I picked it because I'm fairly new to cycling (as an adult), and I wanted something that would work with minimum hassle. My previous experience of regular gears was constantly cleaning, adjusting and cursing my Dawes MTB as a surly teenager

I am sure performance wise the hub does not match a decent conventional groupset, and I am now seriously considering a pure road bike for some challenges I've set myself next year, but for my current needs (light touring, suburban commuting) it is perfect for two main reasons - next to no maintenance (and the chain lasts longer), and the fact that you can change gear whilst stationary. So useful.

Do wish I had an 11 speed though, and will probably upgrade next summer.
    SimonAH wrote:
    Talking of which, is that a District I see in your sig? I think that makes three of us with Libraio in the Netherlands

Yeah, my other bike. I don'y care what the critics say, I think it looks amazing and the belt drive is ideal for riding in central london.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    BTW I have an 11 speed pompetamine. I wrote a little review on here which you should be able to find quite easily. No change to my view - its lovely. The alfine 11 works very well and the shifters are good. A couple of minor things to be aware of with the alfine hub:
    a) cable tension is key. I found that I needed to tweak the tension (just twiddling the barrel adjuster at the shifter) to stop the hub "slipping". Apparently tehre are some yellow dots to line up on the hub but I found it easier to just do the twiddling as I was riding until everythiing fell into place.
    b) one of the gears (around 4 or 5) feels a tad spongy compared to the rest (which feel very taut and connected). I read a review on the web that said something similar.
  • godders1
    Ok, order placed. They've stopped doing the older white frames with black decals (which is by far the nicest looking one imo). So ordered one with a black frame at Bike Science but then when I got home noticed they had 2 of the older white frames on the website so phoned On One and got the order changed. Only thing is it will come with a black fork ( :? )and like all of the frames they're not in until the end of November.

Thumbs up for bike science so far although can't really give much of a review yet.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Bi50N wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Yeah, my other bike. I don'y care what the critics say, I think it looks amazing and the belt drive is ideal for riding in central london.

Most people criticizing the belt drive/ District have never tried one. I really love my bike. After two years of riding it every day I only wish for more tire clearence and disc brakes. This is why I'm looking at the Kaffenback, just not sure if I should get a Rival built bike or get a frame and modify the swapout dropout to be able to run a belt. I can hear the dark side calling out to me... :twisted:
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF