On One - Annoying

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Thinking about a Pompetamine Versa, emailed On One asking them if they ever had them in their London Showroom (that I had only recently heard about). Answer was no, that shop went into liquidation...there MIGHT be one in Bike Science Bristol.

I don't see how people are happy to buy bikes without seeing them, without trying for size etc.

What is it with On One, what am I missing? Sounds like they can build good bikes but have no business sense whatsover. I might be missing something though.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    The problem with bikes is that a shop would have to have each model available in each size for people to try out. That's a lot of bikes that they then have to shift on as ex-demo models. I certainly wouldn't buy without seeing one though.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    How dare they not open a shop in London just for you?!

:wink:

The shop in London obviously wasn't any good as a business, so they made the decision to shut it, rather than keep hemorrhaging money through it.

Sounds like good business sense to me.

If you want to try a bike then pay more and get one from an LBS?

Edit: I bought my MTB from One On. Bargain-tastic and an amazing piece of carbon lovliness. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Not having shops is how mail order focussed businesses work! On One is Planet X by another name and Ribble don't provide things to ride either.

They seem to be doing OK despite not having any business sense :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I was seeing On One as a bike manufacturer and wondered why they wouldn't try to get their bikes in LBS's. I'm not looking at buying because it's cheap, I'm looking at it because it does what I want.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I was seeing On One as a bike manufacturer and wondered why they wouldn't try to get their bikes in LBS's. I'm not looking at buying because it's cheap, I'm looking at it because it does what I want.

#Firstworldproblems ;)

Its a bit of an issue though, I'm in the market for a Kaffenback/Pompetamine and I'm a bit miffed that I can't have a test ride before purchase to get the sizing right. Having said that though, I'm really happy with my PX SL Pro so I'll probably just bite the bullet.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I was seeing On One as a bike manufacturer and wondered why they wouldn't try to get their bikes in LBS's. I'm not looking at buying because it's cheap, I'm looking at it because it does what I want.

As far as I can see the fact that they aren't in LBSs is exactly the niche that On-One are filling. That's what their business model is based on, and why it works.
  • Fair comments, but it doesn't work for me, luckily I am in the minority.

I wouldn't buy a bike without seeing / trying it, the same as I wouldn't buy a new car off the Internet.

I do like the look of the bike however and it ticks all the boxes, therefore I will continue looking for a way to try one.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    don't you get a 7 day no quible return policy by law for remote selling?

so you could order it try and send it back if it's not right?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Fair comments, but it doesn't work for me, luckily I am in the minority.

I wouldn't buy a bike without seeing / trying it, the same as I wouldn't buy a new car off the Internet.

I do like the look of the bike however and it ticks all the boxes, therefore I will continue looking for a way to try one.

Didn't someone on this forum buy one not long ago? I think he was based in London?
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Torvid wrote:
    don't you get a 7 day no quible return policy by law for remote selling?

so you could order it try and send it back if it's not right?

You do indeed although you probably have to pay the return postage if it's not faulty. This seems fair enough to me - the alternative is to have the overheads of a chain of shops added to the purchase price.

Besides, most test rides at an LBS amount to little more than a roll around a car park. You don't really see how a bike performs until you take it up a steep hill, or stick heavy panniers on it, or blast down a steep hill.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    you could always take a drive up to Rotheram and go visit them ?
    they're a nice bunch and if you arrange it in advance, you'd be able to try out the different sizes.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    One One give you 28 days to return a bike. When I bought my Planet X Sl Pro I compared the geometry with my existing bikes so I knew it would fit, I also asked their opinion on size, and they did say they would help me out if I wasn't happy. Well worth the risk to get a fabulous Dura Ace equipped 7.6kg bike for £999!
  • Good ideas, thanks. Did PM a Pomp owner a few days ago asking where he was located!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I'm with boondog - if it means that much to you, go and visit them wherever they are based.

If the saving (from reduced overheads) isn't a big issue for you, the train/petrol costs shouldn't be a problem.

If you get the bike you want, it was worth the trip. If you get there and don't like the bikes, you haven't wasted much money.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    You can pop to meadowhall while you're there, make it a day out (or give the other half some cash and have some fun in the on one/planet x shop)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've got 4 bikes and didn't ride any of them before receiving them. Focus Cayo from Wiggle, delivered ready set up and I have barely touched it since, it's been fine. Also bought a Ribble for commuting, again, more or less set up when delivered. Went with Ribble website's size indication. My 2 other bikes are ones my dad has bought 2nd hand in bits and put together himself and then given to me. All of them are fine!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you want to see one in London it's easy.

Just pop down to your local super market.

There's always loads of On One bikes locked outside our local Sainsbuy's.

Doubt you'll be able to test ride one though.
  • http://www.on-one.co.uk/help/what-size-bike might help a bit. Also look in the readers rides section on the website. Call 'em and have a chat too.
    Stuff I have designed
    www.muckynutz.com
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Seen the new On-One Dirty Disco CX bike? Carbon frame + fork and mounts for disc brakes. Shame no mud-guard or rack mounts but that would make a cracking commuter.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I was seeing On One as a bike manufacturer and wondered why they wouldn't try to get their bikes in LBS's. I'm not looking at buying because it's cheap, I'm looking at it because it does what I want.

Their margins are tight and they wouldn't be able to sell them to LBSs much cheaper than they can to the public directly.

It is bloody frustrating though. I am waiting for the spring to get a Nanolight and then I will go to Doncaster as all my family at reet proper Yorkshire folk at any bloody rate.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Given the opportunity I'd always go for a test ride before buying.

Having said that, in the last 10-years and 3 bikes I bought without riding first. I'm pretty familiar with my size/geometry requirements and the deals were so good it would have been rude not to. I've also bought a couple frames for Mrs Harry which she'd not ridden first.

On One and Planet-X bikes/frames have made my shortlist a number of times and I'd buy from them without test riding without hesitation. I guess it comes down to how well you know your own requirements.

Caveat to the above - I'm an enthusiast level cyclist at best. If I was making a living riding a bike, I'd get professionally measured up and custom fit as well as test ride as much as possible.
  • they do not have a dedicated showroom themselves, but if you are keen on trying out sizes, there is a shop near Brick Lane / Aldgate have few On Ones..... if my memories are correct. :roll:
  • armymankin wrote:
    they do not have a dedicated showroom themselves, but if you are keen on trying out sizes, there is a shop near Brick Lane / Aldgate have few On Ones..... if my memories are correct. :roll:

Oh yes they do

http://www.on-one.co.uk/contact/showroom

It's in Rotherham, apparently it's really impressive.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Have bought framesets from On One (Pompino and an Inbred). Made sure of a good fit through careful choice of stem, bars, seatpost, etc. Bit trickier if you are buying a complete bike. I have always found the staff to be very helpful on the phone and have not had problems with anything that I have bought from them.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've bought the last 4 out of the 5 'adult' bikes I've owned without sitting on them.

Cheapo MTB ordered online.
    Boardman MTB: sat on in Halfords, fine.
    Ribble Sportive: Online, fine.
    On One Carbon 456: Online, fantastic.
    Boardman CX: Reserved online and picked up, fine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Order one in each size, then send back the ones that don't fit.
    <a>road</a>
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Also Geoff Butler cycles in Croydon are an agent for planet X. Might be worth seeing if they carry on-one kit as well.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I got measured by the LBS when I bought my Wilier - as part of that I got a printout detailing the setup that was needed for me.

When I ordered my Pompino I just used this sizing information - I chose a frame size to suit and specced stem, bars etc to suit the riding position I wanted. I deliberately made the Pompino a little more relaxed (shorter stem, different bars) and it all worked out fine. On-one were very helpful in allowing me to mix and match even within the parameters of their £400 special deal.

OK, I then had to wait several weeks for them to build my bike, and the courier that delivered it had clearly jumped up and down on the box, but they're made tough and it's been great.
    Misguided Idealist
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    On One know all too well that people would go to the bike shop to try it out then order online. Meaning the bike shop wouldn't sell a single thing.

London isn't exactly cheap is it and it's a long way from Rotherham.

They do have a showroom.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    notsoblue wrote:
    Fair comments, but it doesn't work for me, luckily I am in the minority.

Didn't someone on this forum buy one not long ago? I think he was based in London?

I did :)
    What would you like to know?
    I have just changed the tyres on mine from Durano's to conti 25mm gp 4 seasons and the ride has changed dramatically. Tyres make a huge difference. The bike is no longer tiring to ride, transmitting every bit of road buzz and bump but fast, nimble even and pretty dammed stable. No hands all the way round Dulwich park testerday which i cannot do on my other bike. Takes a little longer than my sl pro to bring up to speed but then there is a 7-8lb difference in weight. I am very much enjoying riding it now especially the hub gears and disc brakes. Threw some sks long blades yesterday and went riding through some puddles :D Anyway, initial worries about ride and comfort now gone.
    cheers