Is what I'm doing an Audax??

2»

Comments

• ermintrude wrote:
    Yesterday I rode an audax with some friends the organisation was superb, lots of good quality refreshments before and after the ride, an excellent route sheet and all for £5 entry. Why bother to spend £40 or more on a sportif

I'm with you ermintrude.

A lot less testosterone (or female equivalent) fogging the air as well.

+2
    The glut of 'me too' sportives demonstrate that you can fool a lot of the people a lot of the time.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • De Sisti wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

They do register as I do a lot of sportives. I always imagined people who did audaxes ended up cycling alone due to low number of participants and long distances involved, thats all.

Fair point but I think that that it all depends upon what event you are entering. There are some audaxes that attract few entrants whilst there are a others with large fields of a few hundred. Personally, I tend to view last year's results to view the number of entries in order to avoid small field events (remembering the not all riders are actually listed in the results because the did not bother with brevets). Another good indicator is whether the event is backed by a strong club. That way it is possible to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow riders.

Events such as the Cotswolds audaxes, The Elenith, Barry's Bristol Ball Bash, Cheltenham Flyer, Tinsel and Lanes, amongst many others, often attract large fields. For the Snowdrop and Sunrise Express, I usually shut down entries at around 250 although cold winter weather usually wittles down the actual number of riders to 150ish.

I note that you come from Doncaster and I am unable to comment upon big events in your region. I think that there a few reasonable events operated in the Peak District by Peak Audax and possibly by Sheffrec.

Don't give up too early - it is a case of careful selection

The audaxes that Philip organises (the one's I've ridden) are pretty good, imo.

Thanks for this, I have just entered the Snowdrop Express. Funny, it seems strange entering an event scheduled for February whilst it is still only October. I rode in 2011 too, and it was the busiest winter event I have ever ridden, despite the driving wind and rain on a winter's day :shock: