Cree XM-L T6 LED light £30 delivered from Hong Kong

capoz77
capoz77 Posts: 503
edited December 2011 in MTB general
Couldn't afford a £200 hope LED to match my mates so settled on this £30 Cree T6 from Hong Kong.

Pics dont do it justice, but build quality is nice and light output is stunning 8)

2011-10-16211751.jpg

2011-10-16211720.jpg

low power

2011-10-16221742.jpg

high power

2011-10-16221711.jpg

2011-10-16221559.jpg

Comments

• is that the waterproof one with 1200 lumen (obviously I'm about to be told that its not 1200 lumen) ?

I've just bought 2 :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Got one of those myself... Throw is outrageous, haven't seen anything else that has more usable range. Very spotlighty though- well, kinda, it actually does throw a fair amount of light around outside the spot but it doesn't seem like it because of the contrast of the bright centre. Not perfect but it doesn't stop it from being a very good light.

Just ordered a diffuser for it off Ebay to try, will see how that goes. It makes the P7 on my bars seem a bit crap tbh so I think I've got in an arms race with myself :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Links t the diffuser?

Will be interesting to see your results!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, it could do with an orange peel reflector as an option to smooth the beam out.
  • Northwind
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/280752532003?ss ... 1439.l2649

Not sure how well it'll work but it was cheap ;) Chap also sells improved battery pouches and 2-cell batteries for the Magicshines.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thats pretty cool. I might get 1. Then run 1 light with and 1 without, could be a good combo!
  • supersonic
    This is the beast I have just ordered!
  • Northwind
    Cor. What are you going to do with that, fight sith lords?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Dunno, was just curious about it! Will probably mod it to take more cells for longer runtime.
  • Northwind
    Yeah, just thinking that, I've got a 4-cell 3.7V pack with a fake battery attached, in one of my P7 torches... But could probably do something interesting with that...

Shame about how they've made the tubes, you can't just screw the tailcap to the head, it needs the long tube fitted as well. So not so good for remote packs. Could mod that but only by cutting a new thread or just glomming it all together.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Counter sinking the base of the reflector or enlarging the hole might help seat the LED further in the reflector which should help more light spill in to the reflected area.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What's the battery life like?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Northwind wrote:
    . It makes the P7 on my bars seem a bit crap tbh so I think I've got in an arms race with myself :lol:

Exactly the problem I've had. I've ended up ordering one of the Mj872s for my bars, which can at least be used to also power the MJ818 rear for my commute (NSL, unlit country roads, I really want to be seen!).

Like you say, the T6 is so bright down the middle that it's hard to see that the 'dim' edge is actually as bright as the P7 torch :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    Me and a mate have just bought one of these, mate has had 4 hours runtime from his!

I have not used mine yet in the dark due to injury's keeping me off the bike.

Try removing the rubber cover from the switch at the back and having a look inside, mine had a red led that was on all the time, but the rubber switch has been moulded a bit wonky and the part covering the red led was not allowing light through.

I have no idea why it has a red and green led on at the same time.

Charged mine up until the charger light went off and it made no difference.

:?
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • capoz77
    is that the waterproof one with 1200 lumen (obviously I'm about to be told that its not 1200 lumen) ?

I've just bought 2 :D

1600 lumen on the box :lol:
  • capoz77
    deadkenny wrote:
    What's the battery life like?

2-4 hours depending on low or high power

This is the puppy, only took 7 days to arrive

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130568084707? ... 1423.l2649

the green button on the back lights up and i think the green strip around the front is glow in the dark its very luminous when the lights been switched on.

On the trail the throw is brilliant, very far ahead and lights up the sides superb. Look at the decking picture to see how bright the sides are
  • Northwind
    Aye, it's quite clever that- there's a lot of UV light thrown by these lights, which isn't useful at all except for making reflectives glow but does charge up the glow-in-the-dark orings til they burn like the sun :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    I have one of these from bestofferbuy but the flat lensed version + one on the way from Deal Extreme, out of interest and as I do not want to break mine how do you take these apart, once the front is unscrewed and the glass taken off do you just try and pull the rest out or is it glued in or anything ? as I want to make sure there is no swarf or anything in mine.
  • bails87 wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    . It makes the P7 on my bars seem a bit crap tbh so I think I've got in an arms race with myself :lol:

Exactly the problem I've had. I've ended up ordering one of the Mj872s for my bars, which can at least be used to also power the MJ818 rear for my commute (NSL, unlit country roads, I really want to be seen!).

Like you say, the T6 is so bright down the middle that it's hard to see that the 'dim' edge is actually as bright as the P7 torch :lol:

The Best light setup is to put an MJ-872 (£90 from eBay) on the bars for an awesome flood with good depth penetration and to run the XML-T6 "China" spot on your helmet.

I have ridden pitch black Thetford in heavy rain, running the MJ-872 on 25% and the spot on low setting (about 70%) and that is more than enough light with a good 2.5-3 hours run time on the spot and about 4 hours run time on the MJ-872.

Great combo and for £120 unbeatable value....
  • Northwind
    supersonic wrote:

Give us a shout when it arrives, would you? Very tempted but I'm looking for a flood and the beam pics do look a wee bit spotty for such a potentially bright light.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Will do! Should be here any day - reviews I have seen for this model suggests is a decent flood, but throws well for the sheer power.
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    supersonic wrote:
    Will do! Should be here any day - reviews I have seen for this model suggests is a decent flood, but throws well for the sheer power.

Gonna have to get one now its avialbable from UK warehouse. Damn you!

Got pretty much everything else the only thing i was wanting was a triple or quad XML light.
  • ^^^3000 lumen torch? Bloody Nora! ^^^^^

When my order turns up, according to the DX info, I should be rocking 2220 lumens on my bike (1200+510+510). What are you lot putting out? I feel a lumen competition coming on! :lol:
  • Similar sort of thing to the OP but a slightly different shape:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280757147428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
  • I would like to put some HID lights on my bike for night ridding, but have heard that they may melt the wiring harness. I don't do a lot of ridding at night, but when I do, I would like the extra light, without problems. led floodlights
  • supersonic
    Hello Reilly.

Goodbye Reilly.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    supersonic wrote:
    ive seen this and im thinking of ordering one along with http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-4Ah-Magics ... 2a150f01e0 then with a bit of creative modding i will have a silly light with decent run time for approx £150.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • supersonic
    Sounds like has 12x18650 cells in there at 2900mah each. Supposed to be really good cells.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Charging that with a single magic-shine 8.4v charger would be ridiculously stupid.

There is no mention of balance circuit, thermal control etc. it would take at least 12 hours to charge. The current per cell would be so low the pack would probably start dropping volts after a few charges.