Best and worst piece of kit you've ever owned?

hoodlum-z
hoodlum-z Posts: 65
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Best: my hand-built wheels from 1993 - Campag rims, Nuke Proof hubs with carbon centres from a time when carbon was rarer than titanium. Even on a hard-tail Cannondale that was ridden like a BMX and jumped countless times they stayed true. (And would still be rolling today if they weren't stuck in my mates shed gathering dust.)

* I was tempted to say the handmade carbon 120g bars, made by a bloke who lives in my street and still does, and bought from my LBS. These were from a time - 1992 - when Schmolke and Storck were still dreaming about super-light carbon parts.

Worst: second-hand set of original Rockshox forks with a blemish on one stanchion that wouldn't hold air. It leaked every time it passed the seal. The 80mm or so of supposed suspension travel was more like 10mm in the real world, which made them even worse, pound-for-pound, than my Girvin Flexstem. Though they did look good painted canary yellow and matched to my resprayed frame.
You mean what we thought they thought we think and thought they thought. We think? - Patrick

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Tioga Factory DH tyres - worst tyre ever used.
    As for favourite... too many to name. I'm very happy with the kit on my current bike, though nothing has an interesting tale like your carbon bars.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    best would have to be my Mojo HD, simply put, its just brilliant, worst would have to be deore hubs, just hopeless if you ask me, utterly shocking
  • Best: Too many things ot mention all of them
    Worst: Deore rear hub as there's no sealing at all and Avid Juicy 3s
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    best ever bit
    saint 4 pot brakes + goodridge hoses
    worst ever
    any disc brake by either avid or hayes.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Formula R1 Brakes, if they can stop me they must be good.

XT Hubs..gash.
  • Too many good things to list with my bike, however the bad points come from the Sram stable with the X9 9 speed rear mech being what I reckon as defective, and the Juicy 3's which really need to go asap !
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    XT rims - superb!

XT Hubs - as mentioned above.....total GASH.
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    reverb seat post hands down the best bit of kit ever.dont know how i ever managed without one.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not owned a great deal but,

Best: Nomad
    Worst: Juicy 3s

(Nomad without Juicy 3s of course).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    worst - toe straps
    best - hydraulic disc brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Best: My Marin Bear Valley frame, back in 1994. A masterpiece in steel.

Worst: Smart Lunar rear lights. The slightest bit of rain and they're fried.
  • bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    Best: Love my Cambelbak and the bladder inside it. So nice having plenty of water that doesn't taste of plastic.

Worst: To be honest I've been pretty happy with most things. If I had to pick I'd say my Superstar Zenith stem as it kept needing tightening, and my Avid Juicy 3s as they got holes in the reservoir caps after only 9 months.
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Worst - Avid Juicy 3 for a cert. Truly, utterly, phenomenally awful!

Best - It's tough to call... But I right now at least my 2006 Shimano Deore LX Hydro disk's are my top choice. Bit random I know, but I have honestly never used a brake that feels quite like these. Truly amazing. Love everything about the way they feel and work. Other than that, Mavic tubeless rim's are pretty awesome. Tubeless ready tyres go up with just a Minipump...

Other fave' parts are my XT shifter, (RH) and my Shimano DX MP66 SPD shoes. Love 'em! Also Love my Marzocchi 55 RC3's...

Is it a coincidence that most of my fave stuff is Shimano?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Best - Osprey viper; loads of room, well organised, nice rigid bladder with a handle, good valve etc.

Worst - Deore hubs, water gets right in and rusts the bearings and cones. Also, endura mt500 overshoes, ripped to shreds after a couple of rides, utter waste of £25.
  • joshtp
    OOh, Osprey Viper is a good call, love mine!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Best, my Cotic Hemlock. Makes me look like I can ride a bike, and didn't cost me a lot to start with. Proper bike.

Worst... Gore Bikewear waterproof socks. Clearly designed by someone with no feet. Both far too tight to get on easily, and far too loose to be comfortable. All the seams seem intentionally placed exactly where they'll provide atomic rub. They might very well be waterproof, I can't wear them for long enough to find out.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Best: Goggles. I've only just started wearing them on the DH and they make SUCH a difference!

Worst: Bike with a BB30. They suck.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Best: Reverb or the chameleon I sold to a mate (bought as frameset) then rode it and instantly regretted selling it on.

Worst: Clarks skeletal hydraulic brakes.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Best:
    Endura Singletrack full length trousers - just brilliant
    KCNC ceramic jockey wheels - expensive, but just keep spinning no mater how much muck in them. 1000% better than the original SRAM wheels.

Generally, I'd say anything made by Endura or Ergon is best. Just so much more thought goes into their products.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • W = Trouser clips
    B = Wife
  • joshtp
    Wife

I'd like a go on that
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    Best would be either my Hope M4's or my pack and bladder
    Worst would be Crank Bros 50/50's!!! Bent 3 axels on them and the bearings are shite!
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • Best piece of kit has to be my hope shorts, their so nice and look proper good as well. Worst piece of kit i've had was definitely my first spd shoes I bought, can't remember which ones they were, but they were terrible.
    • diy
      diy Posts: 6,473
      Best has got to be my stans flows - they never need any tuning.
      worse has to be the Clarks hose kit for avid brakes - shockingly bad quality. I should have bought avid or goodridge.
    • lochussie
      lochussie Posts: 276
      Loads of greats inc Royal 247 shorts and my Camelbak.
      Not much bad but the expensive pair of Fox shorts that ripped on my saddle on the first ride spring to mind.
    • mrmonkfinger
      mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
      worst - shimano hubs. open bearings, poor seals, say no more.

best - GT85, magical secret emergency all purpose magic squirty stuff. cover the entire bike in it, and nothing rusts. I know - its a solvent. blah blah blah blah blah.
    • bennett_346
      bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
      best - GT85, magical secret emergency all purpose magic squirty stuff. cover the entire bike in it, and nothing rusts. I know - its a solvent. blah blah blah blah blah.
      Really? So all those bearings benefit from having the grease dissolved out of them, preventing them from rusting? And those brake discs?
    • bobpzero
      bobpzero Posts: 1,431
      worst - shimano hubs :lol:
      best - hope sh1t shifter
    • cooldad
      cooldad Posts: 32,599
      Can't say best, but I have some Shimano hubs about 25 years old, still going strong. Used weekly.
      Maybe it's because I never spray them with GT85?
      I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
    • Northwind
      Northwind Posts: 14,675
      Aye, the Exage hubs on my retro/commuter are into their 3rd decade, I think they've had one change of bearings in that time but still going strong. And my XTs were better sealed than my Hopes- the only difference is, when you neglect Hopes or similiar you can just wang out the old bearings and replace.
      Uncompromising extremist