I suspect this won't go down well with many......

13»

Comments

• I did a 24 miler in the New Forest the other day. I saw a stag fully dressed with huge antlers, it was a truly impressive sight. I also noticed that every time I said good morning to passing cyclists, I smiled and they smiled too! What on earth is wrong with people saying that they enjoy riding a bike?
    Surely, if a celebrity with access to the more expensive things in life enjoys the simplicity of cycling isn't that a compliment to the sport and comfirmation that you are doing something good? :D
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    what was it wearing, lycra or baggies?
  • I just read the article (had to buy a copy of C+ because I made it into print for a second month :-D)

I thought it was a great wee piece from Kemp. He came across as very passionate about the sport. Chapeau to the guy.

Right, I'm off to buy some Rapha leg warmers and wax my moustache...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bompington wrote:
    Oh dear.

I secretly think the same about cycling sometimes. It always used to be MY thing, that none of my mates did. I was always the only one going on about some random race in North West Europe, or cycling distances they couldn't believe (since the shops was a long way)

Now some guys I used to know from Uni who sneered at me now have pictures of themselves in HTC kit ontop of some French mountain, or are spanking on about how amazing their new Garmin gizmo is.

It privately really irritates me. Selfish and totally wrong of course, and I'd never say it shouldn't be that way (since it's all obviously great) but it does occasionally wind me up (in private).
    Hopefully this is what the OP meant, Rick as usual putting it better.
    There is certainly something about being part of an exclusive club that can feel ruined by popularity - just look at all the sportive-dissing threads for evidence - but to actually whinge about it?

Ah, he's got to whinge somewhere - and cycling's still niche enough that no-one will listen in the real world :P

I get where he's coming from.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Bought myself a bike about 10 years ago, the first since about 1989 or so (BMX). I rode it a little but I wasn't until 2008 that I really got massively back into it.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    bompington wrote:
    Oh dear.

I secretly think the same about cycling sometimes. It always used to be MY thing, that none of my mates did. I was always the only one going on about some random race in North West Europe, or cycling distances they couldn't believe (since the shops was a long way)

Now some guys I used to know from Uni who sneered at me now have pictures of themselves in HTC kit ontop of some French mountain, or are spanking on about how amazing their new Garmin gizmo is.

It privately really irritates me. Selfish and totally wrong of course, and I'd never say it shouldn't be that way (since it's all obviously great) but it does occasionally wind me up (in private).
    Hopefully this is what the OP meant, Rick as usual putting it better.
    There is certainly something about being part of an exclusive club that can feel ruined by popularity - just look at all the sportive-dissing threads for evidence - but to actually whinge about it?

Ah, he's got to whinge somewhere - and cycling's still niche enough that no-one will listen in the real world :P

I get where he's coming from.

I feel like that sometimes, if i'm being honest, actually a good friend/colleague of mine has recently started commuting to work on his turd Mountain Bike, he used to rip the P*ss out of me for turning up to work in lycra etc, now all of a sudden he's on about getting a road bike, talking about the TdF, and generally acting like he's bean the Capo of the pro-peloton for the last 20 years. Very Very irritating, wouldn't tell him that he's irritating me, its my own problem not his, live and let live etc, and i hope he sticks with it (he goes through alot of phases) and getas into it and can start walking the walk to go with the talk, but for now, just irritating.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It gets worse, I feel the provenance of my love of (pro)cycling comes from a more worthy place and secretly wish it was revered.

My (Dutch) Grandfather, ex. footballer was a huge fan back when he was a young man. He even got to ride in the commissar's car in the '38 World Road Race in Valkenburg. He taught me the ways when I was about 10.

Then some bloke who I know gives me regurgitated Phil & Sherwan rubbish, and asks me how many days riders take to do Paris-Roubaix, and when I explain it's a one day race, says "OMG, how do they do Paris-Nice in one day?!".

*groan*
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Only (some) UK old-time cyclists have this ridiculous mentality - I love cycling, how terrible that other people are starting to love it to. Un-freaking-belivable. And the "club" cyclists are by far the worst, generally speaking.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    As a teenager (mid 80's) my parents would not take my bike on holiday as there was no room in/on the car, so I had to get myself as close as possible by train and the cycle the rest. Can I join your club? after I got married, had a job that revolved around golf and had kids my bike was sorely neglected and now I am BORN AGAIN with the renewed vigour of a midlife crises coupled with a new burd who has better cycling credentials than me, can I still join your club? Please...I don't even watch football anymore...
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I think ALL these so called celebrities should be applauded for "coming" out of the cycling closet.

If more C,B and maybe even A listers come out and sign the praises of riding lycra clad around the country on their carbon price and joy then maybe just maybe us mere mortals may get the respect from non cyclists (motorists) that we deserve.

The more mainstream the better

Sadly the opinion of the OP is one the irritates me and gives the non-cycling community and newbies the impression that we are all c*cks.

I only wish i had kept with cycling and not started again after a gap of too many years.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    My mum was riding her bike the day before I was born, so I reckon that makes most of you noobies!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Gary Kemp such a wan*er .....
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Gary Kemp such a wan*er .....

:D:D:D
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Cycling since you were 6? Well I guess you deserve a medal because noone else can compare to you. You know not everyone had bikes when they were growing up? I got my first bike when I was 23 (5 years ago) which I bought myself and taught myself to ride. Now I love cycling! I guess I should just give up though because i'll never be as good as you.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • This thread is just gold.

Always believe in your (carbon) sole, because you've got the power(tap) to know.... wait a minute, should this not be here?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12685140&sid=70adb40a5ec0a0279cf557502b0a90bf

The OP has just dropped a frag and left the building. :lol::lol::lol:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • LOUD NOISES
    Road: Cube Peloton 2010
    Mud: Carerra AM Fury
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    One of Gary Kemp's mates gets in on the act:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle ... cra-lad.do