idiots with really bright rear lights

kieranb
kieranb Posts: 1,674
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Now as the sun is setting earlier and earlier I have just been reminded of one of my pet hates cycling during London commuting times - all of those other cyclists with really bright rear lights (designed to be visible from the moon), especially on flashing mode. If I wanted after images in my eyes I could just stare into my own lights close up but some of these newer rear lights are dazzling even 20 ft away.

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    edited October 2011
    :roll:

Car speed for braking distance of 20 feet - 20mph. (not including thinking time)

Sounds emminently sensible to me.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I find not staring at them works quite well. Also a handy approach to 100W lightbulbs in the home.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    You weren't heading south on the A23 last night were you? I stuck on my Exposure Redeye for the first time on the commute home yesterday evening, and I must admit, it was disconcertingly bright. No flash mode or dim setting.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    kelsen wrote:
    You weren't heading south on the A23 last night were you? I stuck on my Exposure Redeye for the first time on the commute home yesterday evening, and I must admit, it was disconcertingly bright. No flash mode or dim setting.

I have one of these, and I agree it's bright.

What does the OP suggest? I bin it and buy another... until I find one that I don't feel is too bright?

( obv. I won't do this.. the exposure set costs a pretty penny )

I rely on the manufacturers to do this for me.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Koncordski wrote:
    I find not staring at them works quite well
    +1
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    KieranB and Kieran_Burns are not the same person - please don't get me involved in this oncoming flamestorm :wink:

(says the guy who's just bought a District 3-to-be-seen-on-the-moon-light)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Had nothing but compliments about my District, including drivers and even a tweet about how good it was from the NASA space station.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    iPete wrote:
    Had nothing but compliments about my District, including drivers and even a tweet about how good it was from the NASA space station.
    Didn't you also prevent a ship from running ashore whilst cycling around Penzance?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I find the simple solution to the "rider ahead with flashing thermonuclear red alert" is a swift overtake

Surprised noone else suggested this, you are all normally so aggressive :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You know what I like?

Genuises with lights that are juuuust right :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Goldilocks and the 3 rears

Daddy rear was too dim and got run over by the inattentive taxi driver who didn't see him
    Mummy rear was too bright and caused havoc behind her with blinded drivers randomly crashing into orphanages,
    Baby rear was just right and cycled on. Until he got mugged by some teen kids on crack who sold his bike for a drug fix.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175

Daddy rear was too dim and got run over by the inattentive taxi driver who didn't see him
    Mummy rear was too bright and caused havoc behind her with blinded drivers randomly crashing into orphanages,
    Baby rear was just right and cycled on. Until he got mugged by some teen kids on crack who sold his bike for a drug fix.

You forgot Miss-just-turned-18 rear who can probably be found on the GILS thread and caused a 500m long rolling roadblock of blokes on bikes.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MTFU and overtake them if you don't like it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    DesWeller wrote:

You forgot Miss-just-turned-18 rear who can probably be found on the GILS thread and caused a 500m long rolling roadblock of blokes on bikes.

I've concentrated my efforts on the GIKW thread - if you pop in you can see the results :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited October 2011

I haven't seen that one, would you recommend it? I quite enjoyed Little Miss Muff-diver, is it of a similar calibre?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    We seem to be a group with pretty narrow tolerances for what is right and wrong. :)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Unless you're talking about pron in which case it seems to be a broad church...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    mroli wrote:

Talking of pron, I swear I saw Max Mosley in RP this morning on his bike...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    That was probably Jon Snow
  • I think the OP makes a perfecly good point. I was following behind someone just a couple of nights ago who had what seemed like a flashing car fog lamp on the back of their bike. I did pass them as quickly as possible, but I was seeing lovely, floaty splodges for the next five minutes.

There's making sure your seen and then there's causing a distraction.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    mroli wrote:

By broad church, do you mean:

charlotte-church-4th-annual-glamour-women-of-the-year-awards-MRuV85.jpg
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Would still take her up the aisle...
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    You don't have to look at the bright lights.

Are you a moth?
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Well everyone knows a "Smart" light is really bright as long as its not wet, so make sure its raining next time you don't want to be blinded and stuck behind one of them. :lol:
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • lemoncurd wrote:

If you're one of those weirdos who likes to look where they're going you do.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    lemoncurd wrote:

If you're one of those weirdos who likes to look where they're going you do.

Wear sunglasses.
  • ...are compliant with RVLR? Rear reflector, pedal reflectors...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    kelsen wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Didn't you also prevent a ship from running ashore whilst cycling around Penzance?

Unfortunately not, I actually dazzled the captain of the Rena :cry:

571531-111008-oil-spill-nz.jpg