Assos Gear.

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
I just don't see the attraction, it's not even good design. I think it would be best accompanied by a power ballad - maybe it appeals to those that were teenagers in the 80s? and Germans?
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    Or maybe it's because it is perfect for its purpose and very comfortable?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Pross wrote:

Are you wealthy? :wink:
  • mclarent
    I must admit, I do like the way they match the mens and womens gear though.

flash_gordon.jpg
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It's great stuff, worth the price for the quality, but I agree on the design. Their jerseys are horrid looking.
    exercise.png
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I can't afford it but I was given a winter jacket and its lush and lovely and the warmest most comfortable thing I've ever worn on the bike.

Ok, the styling is not the best in the world, buit its far from the worst and it performs fantastic.

To contradict my statement above, in the sales I bought some Assos arm warmers (their Roubaix ones) - again, lovely to wear, really warm and when I fall off and rip them I'll buy exactly the same again (when the sales come round and I can afford them).

Post sales service is brilliant as well.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    Pross wrote:

Are you wealthy? :wink:

Unfortunately not - I have had some in the past but alas no more :(

Hoping to get some shorts for Christmas though.
  • TheStone wrote:
    Their jerseys are horrid looking.

Yeah, they look terrible...

assos_women_ss13.jpg
  • mclarent
    Even her best pout can't hide the fact that she's wearing sh*t clothes. Would look even worse on the bedroom floor. etc.
  • That Assos girl could get a few different things inside, in all orifices. Farkin sex bomb!

Assos is good quality kit, if you can't afford it it doesn't mean that it's shit.
  • mclarent
    The design of the bibs is fine (it's pretty hard to mess up black bibs) I have a couple of pairs of F1s and they're nice enough.

However the design of the Jerseys, Gilets and Jackets... all of them are just dreadful. I mean seriously, all you need is some shoulder pads and you could be a Dallas extra.
  • It's a matter of opinion re: the design of their clothing.

And the prices they demand and their monumental sales worldwide indicate that your opinion.... is wrong.
  • mclarent
    It's a matter of opinion re: the design of their clothing.

And the prices they demand and their monumental sales worldwide indicate that your opinion.... is wrong.

"monumental sales"? Errrm....

Even if you can prove that (which I doubt) and the numbers looked good compared to (for example) Castelli (which I also doubt) all that proves is that there are many MAMILs out there with more money than taste.
  • (I'll admit that not every piece of clothing they make is to my liking. But then again, no brand of clothing in the entire world makes every item that is to my liking).

Assos stuff, for the most part looks good, feels good and lasts a looooong time. If you don;t like it - then so be it. That's your opinion. Mine is that it's good looking stuff (again - most of it).

Makes no difference who's opinion is 'correct'.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    It's well made, functional and lasts twice as long as many of it's competitors. That doesn't add up to bad kit as far as I'm concerned.
  • The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    people who say its to expensive, must realise that most of the gear last twice as long as most stuff on the market, therefore its a false economy to write it off as too expensive, and i must disagree, i think the black summer uno jerseys look lush, also the 851 jacket is an engineering masterpiece as well as there winter bib tights :wink:
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Is there actually a point to this thread? You don't like the design. I'm not overwhelmed myself, but it's obvious to anyone that Assos are a success story so probably don't give two sh1ts what you think.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    if your butt is not sore after 4+ hrs on bike is that not a bargain?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If you find Assos expensive, you can always buy from them here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/46 ... alers.html

About £30 for shirt and shorts combo. 8)
  • I always buy Assos bib shorts...would'nt lay my "Crown Jewels" in any others
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've assos kit, rapha kit, dhb, adidas, aldi, Chinese eBay kit and all sorts.
    Maybe it's me but most of it works the same as the rest. I've done plenty of 6+ hour rides and not noticed any comfort difference between shorts.

Some kit lasts and maybe looks better, but my aldi gilet works as well as the team issue adidas gilet. And cost 1/16th the price.

I'd just buy what you like but the pricetag doesn't necessarily reflect it's performance.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Pokerface wrote:
    If you find Assos expensive, you can always buy from them here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/46 ... alers.html

About £30 for shirt and shorts combo. 8)

The genuine article from "Alibaba" !? :shock:
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    lycra bib shorts, tight polyester tops with pockets on the arse that you ram full of stuff, polystyrene helmets that make your head resemble a giant mushroom, disco slippers you walk in like a duck and sunglasses that only Bono would think look cool......lets face it whatever the brand - if you want functional cycling gear you are going to look like a tool.
  • lycra bib shorts, tight polyester tops with pockets on the ars* that you ram full of stuff, polystyrene helmets that make your head resemble a giant mushroom, disco slippers you walk in like a duck and sunglasses that only Bono would think look cool......lets face it whatever the brand - if you want functional cycling gear you are going to look like a tool.

AMEN
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    lycra bib shorts, tight polyester tops with pockets on the ars* that you ram full of stuff, polystyrene helmets that make your head resemble a giant mushroom, disco slippers you walk in like a duck and sunglasses that only Bono would think look cool......lets face it whatever the brand - if you want functional cycling gear you are going to look like a tool.

I look awesome.
  • lemoncurd wrote:
    lycra bib shorts, tight polyester tops with pockets on the ars* that you ram full of stuff, polystyrene helmets that make your head resemble a giant mushroom, disco slippers you walk in like a duck and sunglasses that only Bono would think look cool......lets face it whatever the brand - if you want functional cycling gear you are going to look like a tool.

I look awesome.

Is this you? Nice sandals!

lampre.jpg
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    that bloke descends like a freakin stone "Out of the way me brakes are on fire!" :lol:

But you have to admit. It's a strong look.....
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Ahh the standard Assos flogging thread. Probably equally as common as the age-old Campag v Shimano thread.

I do believe that on the whole you get better clothing at a higher price where cycling clothes are concerned. There is a limit however. Asos seem to slap an additional premium on their stuff because they can through brand power.

Their margins must be huge on each item.

Jersey's i'm not too bothered about, so long as they don't look 80's garish (as many do!). But shorts, I will pay good money for. There are definitely good shorts and bad shorts. Never tried Assos but i've given them a good look at in the shops and they seems of a similar standard to my favourites.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Ahh the standard Assos flogging thread. Probably equally as common as the age-old Campag v Shimano thread.

I do believe that on the whole you get better clothing at a higher price where cycling clothes are concerned. There is a limit however. Asos seem to slap an additional premium on their stuff because they can through brand power.

Their margins must be huge on each item.

Jersey's i'm not too bothered about, so long as they don't look 80's garish (as many do!). But shorts, I will pay good money for. There are definitely good shorts and bad shorts. Never tried Assos but i've given them a good look at in the shops and they seems of a similar standard to my favourites.

Ha! Try mentioning Rapha? There. That did it :wink:

Seriously though, all companies cash in once they have "made it".
    I got a pair of Craft bib tights for £45 a couple of years ago. I can't find them for less than £100 now. The trick is to find a new or "undiscovered" company doing quality products before they get known.
    On the other hand, there are few (if any) expensive purchases that I regret after the bill has been forgotten about. As usual, if you can comfortably afford it, go for it.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    lemoncurd wrote:

I look awesome.

Is this you? Nice sandals!

lampre.jpg

It is me.

You know it is .

Do I have to remind you that you have a restraining order that prevents you from contacting, harassing or appearing within 30,000 miles of me after you were repeatedly caught sniffing my Assos bib shorts when I left them on my rotary drier?

Please leave me alone.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Assos is brilliant - end of. Quality comes at a price, worth every penny with their excellent repair service, if it's ever needed that is.

Love to see Rapha give that kind of customer service instead of flogging over-hyped, badly designed tat!