2000ft in 35 miles?

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
This isn't one of those 'look how much I've done posts'

Just want to know if this is a lot of climbing really, I'm used to the cheshire plains with no climbing and have recently moved over to yorkshire.
I did this ride the other day and bonked towards the end as I only had water on me, luckily there was a co op handy for a snickers and lucozade.

Question is, was this a lot in 2.30 hours - or have I lost a lot of my fitness (been off the bike for over a month)
FCN: 6

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,648
    straas wrote:
    Question is, was this a lot in 2.30 hours - or have I lost a lot of my fitness (been off the bike for over a month)
    That's a 'piece of string' question really - depends what you're used to and could do before. That's a fairly average ride in Devon, for instance, and do-able in a couple of hours .... if you're used to it.
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    Well I used to do around 15 miles 5x a week as a commute on a very flat route where hitting 20 was fairly reasonable, and about 60 miles with 100ft of climbing would take maybe 3.30 hours.

I know I'll have lost fitness as I've been off the bike for a while, but I've never really done hilly rides, so nothing to compare it to.
    FCN: 6
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    That's more or less my round trip commute. As Brian says, it's probably a couple of hours on a road bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • briantrumpet
    straas wrote:
    Well I used to do around 15 miles 5x a week as a commute on a very flat route where hitting 20 was fairly reasonable, and about 60 miles with 100ft of climbing would take maybe 3.30 hours.

I know I'll have lost fitness as I've been off the bike for a while, but I've never really done hilly rides, so nothing to compare it to.
    Just sounds like you need to get out in them thar hills as much as you can then! Learn to love the challenge of them, and you'll get better at coping with hilly routes. Personally I love the variation that hills give a ride - in some ways I find a long flat slog a harder ride, but that's probably because I hardly ever get to ride a flat route.
  • Quite an average ride, nothing amazing, but not bad either. Quite good if your just starting out on hills. Keep at it, you'll watch the time drop!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Echoing the others - just use this as your new bench mark and aim to beat it next time.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    TommyEss wrote:
    Echoing the others - just use this as your new bench mark and aim to beat it next time.

Yepp, good advice. Whether it is a lot of hills or a good/bad time is just relative to other riders and there will always be some who have done more/quicker and less/slower.

My last (completed) ride was a deliberately lumpy one on Saturday and I covered 75M and 6,500ft of climbing, for ref, but I have been working hard all summer building up. It did feel bloody tough towards the end but that was the idea as I was deliberately trying to keep the pace up throughout and riding alone. The actual time I took is only important to me (it is written on my kitchen wall now and will be my inspiration when I get back on the bike, hopefully in mid-December).

Don't forget riding on the flat can be equally tough if you keep the workrate high enough (just watch those boys suffer on TTs) so essentially it is all about the effort (and it sounds like you were working hard on an interesting route, so enjoy the suffering and use the time for motivation next week...or same time tougher route :twisted: ).

EDIT: I would recommend a snack like a banana/flapjack after 90 mins as yours was a tough (if short) route for no fuel given a month off and I always get a physcological boost (if nothing else) from eating something.

Oh, and vorsprung posted a useful guide some time ago: Climbing (in metres)/Distance (in km). Anything getting near to/above 20 is going to be hard work, climbing wise.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I've been looking at the majority of my recorded rides and they seem to come in at around 650 feet of climbing per 10 miles of distance on the usual rolling terrain around South Wales. The occassional ride that takes in a 'proper' climb can go up to 800 feet per 10 miles. Average speed of 14 mph is OK, as others say it isn't overly fast but certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Bonking on a relatively short ride would suggest that you weren't properly fuelled and hydrated before starting.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    straas wrote:
    Just want to know if this is a lot of climbing really, I'm used to the cheshire plains with no climbing and have recently moved over to yorkshire.

I feel your pain. I grew up in Chester so know the cheshire plains roads well. I lived for a while in Weston-upser-mare, next to the Somerset levels.

Then i moved to Huddersfield .... ouch.

2500 ft in 35 miles is pretty hilly but not excessive.

I usually classify my hilly runs as 1000m height gain (3300ft) in 30 miles. You do get used to it.
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    My local loop going north of Leeds started off doing 1500ft in 24 miles, which is about the same. I'd say that's pretty normal for around these parts :)

As above, you've got yourself a baseline though which is the important part. I seem to keep finding hillier/windier routes and slowing down my average right now, which is quite depressing!
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Oh, and vorsprung posted a useful guide some time ago: Climbing (in metres)/Distance (in km). Anything getting near to/above 20 is going to be hard work, climbing wise.

I'd a agree with that. For me a 'normal' ride without specifically seeking out climbs is around 10m per KM and I'd never find a route of 20 where I live but can in Yorkshire. The Marmotte, for example is less than 30 IIFC.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    A 20km ride on that basis would effectively be 10km of climbing at 4% and then going back down.

Even on what I would call a very hilly route I don't get much above 15 using that formula, mainly because of the 20 mile ride to and from the proper hills.
  • Bobbinogs
    I find it works well on most of the lumpy audaxes I am interested in/regularly do, which are typically 1.5-2.0 AAA (1,500-2,000m of accredited climbing) on a 100k loop. Some, like the one near Rhosgoch, are up to 2.5 AAA and they are tough if done at a brisk pace.
  • straas wrote:

I did this ride the other day and bonked towards the end as I only had water on me, luckily there was a co op handy for a snickers and lucozade.

Below average I would suggest.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • straas wrote:

A bit harsh I would suggest.

Going out for two and a half hours on (comparatively) tough terrain after a month off deserves a bit of credit.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    It's all relative, just got back from a 50 miler that was planned as a hilly ride(for Norfolk) and we done 2600ft in 49 miles at 17mph av. Felt tough but in reality it's nothing compared to other parts of the country.
  • Bobbinogs
    markos1963 wrote:
    It's all relative, just got back from a 50 miler that was planned as a hilly ride(for Norfolk) and we done 26ft in 49 miles at 17mph av. Felt tough but in reality it's nothing compared to other parts of the country.

FTFY :)
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    As a rule of thumb I use 100ft of climbing per mile as the benchmark for hilly.
  • It's a start. My commute looks like this.

eltonioniscommuteinbound.jpg
  • meanredspider
    As a rule of thumb I use 100ft of climbing per mile as the benchmark for hilly.

Ah - I see. My commute (below) clearly isn't "hilly" then....

The Highlands are clearly too flat
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    It's all relative, just got back from a 50 miler that was planned as a hilly ride(for Norfolk) and we done 26ft in 49 miles at 17mph av. Felt tough but in reality it's nothing compared to other parts of the country.

FTFY :)

:lol:

We did check it on two Garmins as we couldn't believe it either
  • As a complete beginner who has been cycling for a month I am relieved to know that the route I've built up to so far is regarded as 'hilly. It is 22 miles with 2000ft of climbing with half of the climbing in the first 5 miles. Alas there isn't much choice but to go up hills around here! I did that in two hours today which I realise is slow, but not being in fantastic shape before a month ago I am amazed at how much easier it feels every time I go out on my bike. I'm sure I will continue to be able to increase distance and speed over the next weeks and months!
  • straas wrote:

Going out for two and a half hours on (comparatively) tough terrain after a month off deserves a bit of credit.

It wasn't meant as harsh, the OP wanted to know if it was a lot of climbing. As someone else has posted, 1000ft per 10 miles could be described as hilly.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • meanredspider

It wasn't meant as harsh, the OP wanted to know if it was a lot of climbing. As someone else has posted, 1000ft per 10 miles could be described as hilly.

Certainly came across as harsh.

Still find this benchmark of "hilly" as nonsense. My commute home (below) doesn't even pass that test and it's not even a round-trip (where you'd need to descend back to your start elevation). That's something like a 400ft climb from sea-level then back to sea-level then a 750ft climb. There can't be many more "hilly" parts of the country than the Highlands.
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    straas wrote:

"could be described as hilly" is a bit cautious!

Tour of the Peak this year (short route) was 108ft/mile and that was definitely hilly! A classic 50 mile loop of Snake Pass, Strines Moor, Holme Moss comes out at 112ft/mile.

You can get hillier obviously!
  • hmbadger
    Manchester-Blackpool 62 15.6 1803 29
    Arley Hall Lanes 20 15.4 533 27
    Greenfield, Holmfirth, Glossop, Stalybridge 38 11.5 4127 109
    Pennine 100 km 67 12.6 5297 79
    Marple, Lyme Park, Marple Dridge, Gee Cross 32 12.1 2834 89
    Tour of the Peak 65 11.3 7029 108
    Marple, Charlesworth, Monks Rd, Glossop, Hayfield Rd, Gee Crs 36 11 4023 112
    Disley, Whaley, Combs, Chapel, Dove Holes, Buxton, the St 46 10.9 4697 102
    Manchester 100 101 15.4 2964 29
    Marple Bridge, Hill above Chisworth 21 12.7 1855 88
    Just Monks Road, Brabyns Brow 8 9.3 1517 190
    Glossop - Snake Pass - Holmfirth - Holme Moss - Glossop 49 11 5487 112
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger wrote:
    Manchester-Blackpool 62 15.6 1803 29
    Arley Hall Lanes 20 15.4 533 27
    Greenfield, Holmfirth, Glossop, Stalybridge 38 11.5 4127 109
    Pennine 100 km 67 12.6 5297 79
    Marple, Lyme Park, Marple Dridge, Gee Cross 32 12.1 2834 89
    Tour of the Peak 65 11.3 7029 108
    Marple, Charlesworth, Monks Rd, Glossop, Hayfield Rd, Gee Crs 36 11 4023 112
    Disley, Whaley, Combs, Chapel, Dove Holes, Buxton, the St 46 10.9 4697 102
    Manchester 100 101 15.4 2964 29
    Marple Bridge, Hill above Chisworth 21 12.7 1855 88
    Just Monks Road, Brabyns Brow 8 9.3 1517 190
    Glossop - Snake Pass - Holmfirth - Holme Moss - Glossop 49 11 5487 112

Sorry for that garbage - meant to format before submit. Anyway the 4 figures after each ride are miles, av speed, total climb (feet), and ft/mile.

As you can see, I'm a very slow rider. I haven;t worked out the formula yet, but I reckon that my av speed is pretty much completely determined by ft/mile.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Also depends on how the hills break down in that ride.

For instance, if you have 1900 feet of climbing in the first 5 miles and then 100 feet over the next 30 miles, then it's probably going to be a tough ride!

But if it's fairly content up and down over the entire ride, it'll be easier and won't feel as hard, despite the same amount of climbing in both rides.
  • briantrumpet
    Pokerface wrote:
    Also depends on how the hills break down in that ride. For instance, if you have 1900 feet of climbing in the first 5 miles and then 100 feet over the next 30 miles, then it's probably going to be a tough ride! But if it's fairly content up and down over the entire ride, it'll be easier and won't feel as hard, despite the same amount of climbing in both rides.
    Also - certainly as far as I'm concerned - it'll be a faster route if the ups are short and sharp, but the descents gradual, as I'm quite light and a decent climber, but the gradual downs help me maintain the sort of speed that a more heavily built rider can maintain on the flat. My slowest rides inversely are the ones that have long drags up, then give away all the altitude in short steep descents.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Ahh the donning of the rainbow jersey Colin! congrats