Sold dodgy wheels

2»

Comments

• SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Did you pay with paypal?

If so speak to the seller tell them your opening a claim until the matter is settled, that way paypal takes the money and holds it until the claim is either, closed or resolved, but the seller will not hang around sorting the wheels or resolving it another way.

Make sure you do all your communications through ebay so they can monitor what is being said.

Have do so but they have a week to respond and unlike item not received item faulty is a bit harder to prove. I am fairly confident I will get my money back if not I'll just strip down the wheels and use the parts. I just cannot beleive I was sold something of such poor quality, when the LBS pointed out some of the faults I was embarrased to admit I'd actually paid for the wheels.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good luck with it, keep us updated!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Way back on page 1 I suggested you use the Ebay/Paypal dispute process. It works very well and they always side with the buyer.
    That's what it's there for - use it.
    Open a dispute, negotiate what you want (cash to rebuild, return etc) with the seller, if they don't come to the party Paypal will refund you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    But the seller is allowed a reasonable time to remedy the situation.
  • cooldad
    Point is it gets sorted out which is more than endless posts will do.
    Can't always have instant gratification - even a computer takes a little while to boot up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • SLX01
    cooldad wrote:
    Way back on page 1 I suggested you use the Ebay/Paypal dispute process. It works very well and they always side with the buyer.
    Open a dispute, negotiate what you want (cash to rebuild, return etc) with the seller, if they don't come to the party Paypal will refund you.

I had already opened a dispute and have to wait until next week for the seller to return from holiday. My problem is I don't have any wheels I'm not bothered about the money as such just want a decent set of wheels with the least amount of fuss or further cost.
    I went to the LBS because it would have cost me more to buy a new set from Merlin or LBS than it would to get the wonky wheels trued. It was lucky I went to the LBS as it turns out because if I had just got them trued by the seller and returned they would probably still have been unsafe to ride due to the wrong nipples and loose retaining nuts. I will just buy a new set from a more expensive but reliable source tomorrow on my credit card and pay it off when I get a refund.
    I wasn't just looking for advice on how to get my money back I was after some advice on what to do about the seller sending me unsafe dangerous wheels.
  • SLX01 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I had already opened a dispute and have to wait until next week for the seller to return from holiday. My problem is I don't have any wheels I'm not bothered about the money as such just want a decent set of wheels with the least amount of fuss or further cost.
    I went to the LBS because it would have cost me more to buy a new set from Merlin or LBS than it would to get the wonky wheels trued. It was lucky I went to the LBS as it turns out because if I had just got them trued by the seller and returned they would probably still have been unsafe to ride due to the wrong nipples and loose retaining nuts. I will just buy a new set from a more expensive but reliable source tomorrow on my credit card and pay it off when I get a refund.
    I wasn't just looking for advice on how to get my money back I was after some advice on what to do about the seller sending me unsafe dangerous wheels.

You asked for advice on what to do about the seller sending you unsafe wheels, and people answered that. You're just going around in circles, repeating yourself, and acting like a cry baby.
  • cooldad
    SLX01 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I don't think Paypal are interested in whether or not people are on holiday. There is a set period for the seller to respond, and if they don't, you will be refunded.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • SLX01
    SLX01 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

You asked for advice on what to do about the seller sending you unsafe wheels, and people answered that. You're just going around in circles, repeating yourself, and acting like a cry baby.

Thanks for your helpful constructive comments, I am not going around in circles or acting like a cry baby. I'm waiting for a refund and having the courtesy to reply to people that bothered to post, some of us do have manners something that seems to be lacking in your part of the world.
  • It may have come off a bit harsh, but at the end of the day you just keep whinging about being sold dodgy wheels, have said the same thing over and over. A bit blunt I know, but it doesn't do any good to just keep posting it over and over on the internet, it's not going to help the situation out. i understand it's a crap situation to be in, and we understand that, but repeating it just get tiresome.

I love how you mention my part of the world, i'm American, and lived in UK for about half my life, so my manners partly come from your country. I'm actually a nice guy, and in real life it's much better to speak the truth rather than beating around the bush, as it gets nowhere.
  • SLX01
    It may have come off a bit harsh, but at the end of the day you just keep whinging about being sold dodgy wheels, have said the same thing over and over. A bit blunt I know, but it doesn't do any good to just keep posting it over and over on the internet, it's not going to help the situation out. i understand it's a crap situation to be in, and we understand that, but repeating it just get tiresome.

I love how you mention my part of the world, i'm American, and lived in UK for about half my life, so my manners partly come from your country. I'm actually a nice guy, and in real life it's much better to speak the truth rather than beating around the bush, as it gets nowhere.

It wasn't harsh it was just inaccuarate and pointless. If you think its tiresome don't read the thread, its not rocket science. The whole point of a forum is to discuss issues and I'm discussing my wheels. Its a bit obvious I cannot go back in time which is why I was asking advice on what to do now I have got the wheels. You seem to have missed the point I know I can get my money back I am upset about the situation not the money, You may find it acceptable to sell dangerous goods to people but I don't, if you got your car back from the garage without the brakes working would you just pop back for a refund or would you be angry they could have killed you and your family and want something else done? Who knows how many more wheels they have sold like this and there could be people out there on wheels unaware they could collapse at any moment.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    jayson wrote:
    Its reasons like this that i always buy wheels from Merlin, handbuilt still but atleast i know they'll be great quality and well built for that money.

Not in my experience.

Last set arrived with a couple of loose spokes on the back wheel (Stans Crest on Evo11), I was able to tighten one of the nipples up with my fingers and this is before I've rode them.

First set I bought from them where Mavic 719 on Deores also required retensioning.

Set of XM321 on Pro 11 from CRC never needed touching in 3/4 years of hard use.

I won't be using them again for wheel builds
  • SLX01 wrote:
    It may have come off a bit harsh, but at the end of the day you just keep whinging about being sold dodgy wheels, have said the same thing over and over. A bit blunt I know, but it doesn't do any good to just keep posting it over and over on the internet, it's not going to help the situation out. i understand it's a crap situation to be in, and we understand that, but repeating it just get tiresome.

It wasn't harsh it was just inaccuarate and pointless. If you think its tiresome don't read the thread, its not rocket science. The whole point of a forum is to discuss issues and I'm discussing my wheels. Its a bit obvious I cannot go back in time which is why I was asking advice on what to do now I have got the wheels. You seem to have missed the point I know I can get my money back I am upset about the situation not the money, You may find it acceptable to sell dangerous goods to people but I don't, if you got your car back from the garage without the brakes working would you just pop back for a refund or would you be angry they could have killed you and your family and want something else done? Who knows how many more wheels they have sold like this and there could be people out there on wheels unaware they could collapse at any moment.

I don't think selling unsafe wheels is OK, I just said complaining in 5 different points about the same problem isn't exactly constructive when you just repeat yourself. i said I understand the situation, which was not saying it is ok to sell those wheels on their part.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I like that you bought a set of wheels from some dodgy arsed ebay wheel builder with no idea of their reputation to save something like £60 (cant remember what you said) but your simple solution to your problem is to pay £40 to your LBS to get them fixed and you aren't worried about the money fixing them just that you dont have wheels!

If you had ordered from CRC/Merlin or just bought from your LBS in the first place this thread would be so much saved internet space.

I personally have bought every wheel I have owned from Merlin - all have been very good or at worst completely serviceable.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • SLX01
    I like that you bought a set of wheels from some dodgy arsed ebay wheel builder with no idea of their reputation to save something like £60 (cant remember what you said) but your simple solution to your problem is to pay £40 to your LBS to get them fixed and you aren't worried about the money fixing them just that you dont have wheels!

If you had ordered from CRC/Merlin or just bought from your LBS in the first place this thread would be so much saved internet space.

I personally have bought every wheel I have owned from Merlin - all have been very good or at worst completely serviceable.

Thanks its a shame the whole world isn't full of perfect people like you! Its just a pity reading is not one of your skills!!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Popcorn Ready!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Maybe a lesson for the future has been learned atleast, sometimes its worth spending a little bit more for quality.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    Bargain does not always = value………..
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Markmjh wrote:
    Bargain does not always = value………..

Very rarely these days IMO.

stuff is cheap beacuase it's garbage. I find this more and more with things i buy, especially from Ebay...
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Buy Cheap, Always buy twice!

Lesson learned though i suppose, there is a reason the your LBS will charge a premium for building a wheel, because of the support and retruing that most of the offer.

MudDock in bristol retrued my read wheel about 8 months ago and i have been giving the bike massive stick and its still true and round, some would say sold as a rock (like my obvious)

If your in bristol, use muddock, no messtins!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Just rebuild them yourself. At least you know it'll be done properly.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edited October 2011
    Might be worth looking at this:http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-used-lifecyles-in-bolton

If they have decent reputation,lets hope they are willing to make good their cock up.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174

Err, that is not usually how people in the UK go about business regarding "manners".

Most people in the UK "beat about the bush", stiff upper lip, and generally have manners, you do not, so his comment about "your part of the world" probably still stands.

What you have demonstrated with your arsey post, is a typical american style of being loud/rude/better than everybody else and generally just being annoying for the sake of it :)

He wanted advice, you made yourself look like a typical person from your part of the world :D
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • S-M wrote:

Err, that is not usually how people in the UK go about business regarding "manners".

Most people in the UK "beat about the bush", stiff upper lip, and generally have manners, you do not, so his comment about "your part of the world" probably still stands.

What you have demonstrated with your arsey post, is a typical american style of being loud/rude/better than everybody else and generally just being annoying for the sake of it :)

He wanted advice, you made yourself look like a typical person from your part of the world :D

Hmm, still stand by my comment of learning manners in the U.K. as well, most of the rude people I have met in daily life have been in encounters in the U.K. You havn't heard of the word trolling have you? Also, Americans are considered some of the most respectable people in terms of manners, and I was brought up southern, which, is good old southern hospitatlity at it's best. Shame everyone on the internet just thinks if you say something someone doesn't like your just an arse.
  • I'm actually a nice guy

I believe you, MM, but you do come across as a bit of a d!ck on these forums, with needless insults. This is a shame, because you often talk sense. You may want to consider that when you're typing.
  • supersonic
    Let's leave it eh?! Back to the topic. Please report posts if you feel are unsuitable.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Let's leave it eh?! Back to the topic. Please report posts if you feel are unsuitable.

Eh eh eh calm down calm down :D

On topic:

You were sold a product that isn't fit for purpose.

1. Open Paypal dispute
    2. Send them back when asked
    3. Once you have your refund, leave negative feedback concerning 1. the state of the wheels and 2. the delay in issuing a refund.

I wish I could suggest something that would get you back on your bike without delay, but short of buying an off-the-shelf wheelset while you wait for Merlin (or similar) to build your custom ones, I can't think of anything.