OT - Zombie Movies

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I quite like a good Zombie movie (not that I have seen many) and wondered who on here is also in to them?

Any reccomendations? I am aware of some of George A Romero's work but don't know what other films to look out for.

I probably prefer the more modern films, Dawn of the Dead (obv. not the original), Land of the Dead (not as good but still watchable).

What should I be looking out for?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I don't know what the film was but this made me chuckle:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15268321

Edit for stupididty:
    The film would be Resident Evil as I just read.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    28 days / weeks later?
    Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.......Twelvety

Alternatively you could just come to London and travel by tube occasionally.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm pretty sure there will be a Dead Ialsnd film at some point. Think Resident Evil on an island.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Army of Darkness?

Black Sheep?

(do they count as Zombie movies per se?)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I love zombie films, but im also not an afficionado. The dawn of the dead remake is loads better than the original. 28 days later is great.

There's a load of really good independant ones like Colin which is brilliant.

There's also a load of independant shite. Although I quite like those too depends what you're after. I managed to find Chopper Chicks in Zomie Town on DVD for £3 in music zone a few years ago, proper funny. There's some good troma ones, but they're really shoddy production and their so tongue in cheek it's bursting out the side.

I'd recommend watching Colin first. Then if you're into it. wading through the comedy horror or classic zombie horror depending on what you prefer.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Talking of films, a mate showed me a trailer on his iPad for a film called 'Human Centipede'.

Check it out, but not at work!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Talking of films, a mate showed me a trailer on his iPad for a film called 'Human Centipede'.

No.

Don't

If you don't listen to anything else I say - listen to me when I say that this film is just utter, utter chod.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • prawny
    Some links!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_films

http://www.zombierama.com/brainwaves/toptenlist.html

Can't see the zobierama list as it's blocked but sounds promising.

Some good one's in here and some I'll have to look out for

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=2160
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    I quite like a good Zombie movie...

+1

Though not strictly a "zombie" movie -- A zombie movie aficionado (read "nerd") once told me that proper zombies don't run -- 28 Days Later was brilliant for the deserted London shots at the beginning. Apparently they filmed them mid-summer just after dawn and had their very pretty crew members kindly ask the occasional pedestrian and driver to stay out of frame.
  • Talking of films, a mate showed me a trailer on his iPad for a film called 'Human Centipede'.

No.

Don't

If you don't listen to anything else I say - listen to me when I say that this film is just utter, utter chod.

But the tralier is amusing! :D
  • prawny
    Some more good ones.

I'd forgotten I'd seen Zombie Strippers, it was quite good if lacking in some the content I'd hoped for, definately more zombies than strippers.

Re 28 Days later, they're not technically zombies, they're living humans infected with a rage virus.

The 2004 Dawn of the dead zombies run, but it doesn't hurt the film, it's more scary but less tense, but the whole film is like that.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Shaun of the Dead.
    Class of Nuke 'Em High, if you like Troma.
    The Evil Dead series, but probably not Army of Darkness.

Edit: Actually, I misremember Class of Nuke 'Em High, not a zombie, but a creature move. It's been a while.
  • Wow, I wasn't sure this would take off. Some great reccomendations on here. Thanks all. My Love Film list is bulging now. :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    What was that Nazi one?

Oh yeah: Dead Snow

Got that on DVD and not watched it
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Zombieland - Class film.
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    REC is an excellent zombie-esque film (I suppose they aren't technically zombies). Its in Spanish, but there was a US remake for those who don't like subtitles, called quarantine. Amazingly, they didn't f it up, it stays remarkably true to the original.

either way, both excellent films and a good watch on halloween, pretty scary (watch out for when they reach the loft apartment OMG :shock:
  • prawny
    What was that Nazi one?

Oh yeah: Dead Snow

Got that on DVD and not watched it

Just googled that, I need to see it.

Nazis = Good film, you can't deny it.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

No.

Don't

+1 million - What has been seen cannot be unseen'

So I'm told, fortunately I haven't seen it.

Also, this is meant to be proper sh!te, but it has the best title of any Zombie movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXvNALBot4
  • Also my recommendations:

Rec - The Spanish original, is excellent. Don't bother with the sequel or the remake though - I forget what the English language version is called - Outbreak or something generic. EDIT - beat me to it - but you should definitely watch this one.

Shivers - One of David Cronenberg's lesser movies - not brilliant but quite nasty (basically it's just about horny zombies)

Zombie Holocaust - Which in America has the excellent title of 'Dr Butcher - Medical Deviant' - only partially about zombies but classic 70s low budget trash

The Horde - French, textbook zombie flick

Colin - has been mentioned but TBH thought this was proper crap, not because it was incredibly low budget (made for £40 if I remember rightly), just because it's 80 minutes of moaning and wandering about.

Diary of the Dead - nothing new here, but a nice addition by Romero after the crap Land of the Dead

The Crazies - Yep, not zombies but near enough. Does the whole 'the real threat is ourselves' thing as the characters spend more time fighting the US Army. Enjoyable if forgettable. I've only seen the new one so don;t know what the old one's like
  • Get 'Dead Rising' on Xbox, be in your own zombie film.

+1 Zombieland

I've still got Class of Nuke 'em High (not zombie film) on VHS, must dig it out.
  • prawny
    Terror Firma is my Favourite Troma film, slewing wildly OT!

It's brilliant.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    ooohhhhh I love a good Zombie flick.

Night of the Living Dead Parts 1 and 2.

28 days/weeks are must see.

Currently playing Plants vs Zombies on my PC - highly addictive.

Cant wait for the film Cockeys Vs Zombies

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1362058/
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Shaun of the Dead - particularly like the bit where the PC prat played by Dylan Moran get torn apart - always gets a cheer
  • I'm going to be a bit controversial with this one, but "Return of the Living Dead" is a classic film with a *really* good soundtrack. Zombies and good music. Ace.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Love splatter films! Having a Japanese splatter film night tonight.

My all time favourite zombie-themed splatterfest is definately the New Zealand film "Braindead" - plays it for laughs but really rather gory with zomblies vs lawnmower scenes and all. "Evil Dead II" (not really a zombie film but has some zombie bits) runs a close second.

Agree that it's best to avoid the "The Human Centipede", it's just horrible.
  • Oh good shout on Braindead, Peter Jackson wasn't it? Even with no budget, they crammed some really good effects in that one
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,121
    Bah, all my faves have already been recommended here. My favourite has to be the 2004 version of 'Dawn of the Dead', closely followed by '28 Days Later' - notwithstanding that some people (including Danny Boyle) insist that it's not a zombie flick.

That reminds me, I need to see The Horde...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Not a film but a TV series.. Walking Dead
  • Steverw wrote:
    Not a film but a TV series.. Walking Dead
    I have heard good things about that. I think season 2 is starting in the next week or so. Recording it until I can watch the 1st series on DVD!
  • prawny
    Steverw wrote:
    Not a film but a TV series.. Walking Dead
    I have heard good things about that. I think season 2 is starting in the next week or so. Recording it until I can watch the 1st series on DVD!

The pilot of the walking dead is flipping amazing! Really, really good. They showed it without breaks on fx hd and it was feature length and I would say its better than a lot of zombie films.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017