Cavendish confirms SKY move

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    Apparently Brailsford has said that that is it for Sky signings. So eight in, five* out so far. Which three are for the chop?

My guess - Augustyn, Downing and either Barry or Hunt.

*Gerrans, Arvesen, Henderson, Cummings, Pauwels
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Didn't De Jongh sort of let the cat out of the bag re: Downing on the weekend?

BTW Rich, check your PM's.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Kléber wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    from the Sky site-

"Edvald Boasson Hagen, who won two stages at the Tour de France for Team Sky earlier this year and was a former team-mate of Cavendish's at what was then Columbia-HTC, commented: "I know from my time riding with Mark at Columbia-HTC what a special talent he is and it’s great that we are back on the same team.

"Mark is a good guy, delivers when it matters and is another weapon in our squad for next year."

No, he ruddy well did not utter those words.

He uttered something briefer. In Norwegian.
    I think the words were more like "yeah, and you want to play lead out? No thanks". EBH is versatile enough not to get caught up but what about Geraint Thomas or Ben Swift. Is this the time to decide when they become domestiques or pursue their ambitions?

It shouldn't be an issue for Thomas. He should be going for the classics and short stage races anyway. His role at the Tour de France doesn't change, all that changes is who he is leading out. Not that he'll be riding the Tour in 2012 anyway.

Swift isn't ready to be main man at the Tour yet, if he ever will be.

The only issue I can see is if Cavendish fancies riding all three Grand Tours, thus leaving Appollonio and Swift nothing to aim for. He won't in 2012, but who knows in 2013.
  • Turfle
    iainf72 wrote:

I don't think so. It was just their last ride of the season.

I don't expect Downing back, but I think too much is being read into that tweet.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Hunt seems pretty confident he will get a deal at sky, from what i read anyway.
  • Turfle
    Yeah I think Hunt stays. Being picked for GB was a good sign for him.

Augustyn, Arvesen, Carlstrom, Cummings, Downing, Gerrans, Henderson, Pauwels,.
  • I'm not one for conspiracy theories but does anyone think the way this has been announced is a bit strange. I expected a big hoo haa, press photographs with team mates etc. In that interview (in Hyde Park ?) with the Sky newsman it was all very low key
  • Turfle
    ermintrude wrote:
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but does anyone think the way this has been announced is a bit strange. I expected a big hoo haa, press photographs with team mates etc. In that interview (in Hyde Park ?) with the Sky newsman it was all very low key

Don't tell me he hasn't really signed?? I thought this was all finished!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    RichN95 wrote:
    Apparently Brailsford has said that that is it for Sky signings. So eight in, five* out so far. Which three are for the chop?

My guess - Augustyn, Downing and either Barry or Hunt.

*Gerrans, Arvesen, Henderson, Cummings, Pauwels
    I'm pretty sure Barry is going.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    iainf72 wrote:

Cheers :shock:
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • glanma
    glanma Posts: 36
    Aside from the Team Sky dynamics, this looks good for a season long ding-dong with Green Edge next year!
  • ermintrude wrote:
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but does anyone think the way this has been announced is a bit strange. I expected a big hoo haa, press photographs with team mates etc. In that interview (in Hyde Park?) with the Sky newsman it was all very low key
    It was Soho Square, round the corner from my office in fact - I'd have popped down and had a look/said hello to Cav had I known!
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I think Thomas will jump at the chance to be leadout man as long as he gets to focus on the team pursuit as well. Best of both worlds as the leadout is normally great training for the pursuit.

He doesnt have the race craft as renshaw but he makes up with it with out and our horse power. Should be interesting as it's very likely Thomas won't be doing the TDF this year.
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    ermintrude wrote:
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but does anyone think the way this has been announced is a bit strange. I expected a big hoo haa, press photographs with team mates etc. In that interview (in Hyde Park?) with the Sky newsman it was all very low key
    It was Soho Square, round the corner from my office in fact - I'd have popped down and had a look/said hello to Cav had I known!

It was a bit strange that he did a load of early morning press stuff the other week after winning the Worlds. There seemed no point to it from a commercial point of view, the jersey he was showing off wasn't the HTC version just a plain white one. Usually when people get up at 6am to go on breakfast tv its to flog something.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    SLX01 wrote:
    ermintrude wrote:

It was a bit strange that he did a load of early morning press stuff the other week after winning the Worlds. There seemed no point to it from a commercial point of view, the jersey he was showing off wasn't the HTC version just a plain white one. Usually when people get up at 6am to go on breakfast tv its to flog something.

He was selling himself so to speak. Ultimately you have to strike whilst the iron is hot, it's difficult to show off yourself as world champion weeks after the event.

Ultimately, Cav being a well known face is good for Cav, good for the sport, and good for what ever team he rides for.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • I'm surprised there's been no speculation about this move.

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see how this affects the team dynamic.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    ermintrude wrote:

Looked like the Malmaison hotel in Farringdon to me... just saying ;)
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I think the Tour team will be biased towards Wiggo.

a) Cav's main target for the season will be the Olympics, even at the expense of not completing the Tour. There's nothing he can do at the Tour that he hasn't done, or can't do the next year.
    b) Given what we know about the route, it's likely to be Wiggo's best chance ever.
    c) Beating both Martin and Cancellara at the Olympics isn't certain enough to be worth compromising the Tour for.
    d) Sky do dual duty as a commercial team and as the GB team

I'd guess Eisel, Suitsou and EBH for Cav, the others for Wiggo (in so much as you can allocate someone to one or the other only).
  • I'd have thought Boassan Hagan would be there for Wiggo along with Froome and Uran.

Whatever, it'll be interesting to see how Sky play it and I just hope they don't mess it up if the route looks to suit Wiggo.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I Like Cavendish. I Like Sky. I don't like them together though. I'll reserve judgement untill i see how 2012 pans out, i'm jus hoping this move doesn't become a career ender for others.

Well G in your avatar will certainly be busy being Cav and Wiggo's b1tch. He'll be utterly shagged time the Olympics arrive :lol:
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    edited October 2011
    Tusher wrote:
    from the Sky site-

"Edvald Boasson Hagen, who won two stages at the Tour de France for Team Sky earlier this year and was a former team-mate of Cavendish's at what was then Columbia-HTC, commented: "I know from my time riding with Mark at Columbia-HTC what a special talent he is and it’s great that we are back on the same team.

"Mark is a good guy, delivers when it matters and is another weapon in our squad for next year."

No, he ruddy well did not utter those words.

He uttered something briefer. In Norwegian.

I think the quote was probably more like "Mark is really great and its really great that we are the same team again, he's really great at doing a stage win and thats great"
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I reckon Sky's 2012 Tour team will look something like this:

WIggo
    EBH
    Cav
    Eisel
    Froome
    Porte
    GT
    Uran
    Zandio
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Harry182 wrote:

WIggo
    EBH
    Cav
    Eisel
    Froome
    Porte
    GT
    Uran
    Zandio
    Good call, I'd agree with that.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Who fetches the bottles on that team?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

Only one true domestique on that list and that's Zandio, he'll be a busy man.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    iainf72 wrote:

I'm sure I've seen cav fetching bottles on not sprinters stages, that he's not going to miss the time cut on.

But Porte mostly :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,858
    iainf72 wrote:

Porte, Thomas, Froome, Eisel, Zandio, Hagen on a day that doesn't suit him.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I reckon Thomas will be focusing on the Olympics and may give the Tour a miss this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Froome focus on Giro / Vuelta either. That leaves a couple of spaces for, say, Sioutsou and Stannard.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    Harry182 wrote:

WIggo
    EBH
    Cav
    Eisel
    Froome
    Porte
    GT
    Uran
    Zandio

Wiggo and Froome in the same team?? Surely they'll give Froome a proper crack at a GT and he'll ride the Giro or Vuelta?? He deserves his chance.

I'm also not convinced the Olympic Road Race will be a big goal, yes it's big news in the UK as it's in London, but apart from the track does the cycling world really care about the Olympic's. Also isn't the Olympic Road Race only 5 riders per team, very difficult to control Box Hill 9 times then the 40K run in to the finish.
  • Froome won't be riding the Tour, unless WIggins is off form or ill.