watchfire Posts: 174
edited October 2011 in Pro race
On sky sports news now.
My classifieds feedback thread for reference

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40046&t=12946446

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    He's just twittered 'its..............team sky!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Well, colour me surprised.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ....finally....

We should have a worst kept secrets ever thread...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    ....finally....

We should have a worst kept secrets ever thread...

Inrng on Twitter

'Ricco admits blood doping, McQuaid says UCI's in business to make money from China + now Cavendish joins Team Sky. Is it global honesty day?'
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Phew. I losing sleep that he was going to be out of a job after HTC pulled out :wink:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Perhaps the most interesting bit of the announcement is that Eisel has gone with him.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ...so how do they make this work in next year's TdF? There will be some incredibly tired teddies if they are eyeballs out on the flat and in the mountains (and every where else for that matter) for green and yellow
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Man invents wheel, walks on moon, cav signs for sky. It was always gonna be sky.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Judging by all the quotes from riders in the various carefully put together press releases and website articles, it's no wonder it took so long for the announcement to be made. Must've took ages to gather all those together. :lol:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    But what about the bikes! That's what I'm (still slightly) interested in.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ...so how do they make this work in next year's TdF? There will be some incredibly tired teddies if they are eyeballs out on the flat and in the mountains (and every where else for that matter) for green and yellow

Surely you only need the whole team when you are in yellow? I reckon the tactic will be to stay in touch for the TT which looks to be right at the end of the race.

I am trusting Sky - rod ellingworth etc will work it out though and although all winter everyone will be saying it's all doomed I will be interested to see if they can proove the doubters wrong...
  • Perhaps the most interesting bit of the announcement is that Eisel has gone with him.

Just what I was thinking.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    ...so how do they make this work in next year's TdF? There will be some incredibly tired teddies if they are eyeballs out on the flat and in the mountains (and every where else for that matter) for green and yellow

Surely you only need the whole team when you are in yellow? I reckon the tactic will be to stay in touch for the TT which looks to be right at the end of the race.

I am trusting Sky - rod ellingworth etc will work it out though and although all winter everyone will be saying it's all doomed I will be interested to see if they can proove the doubters wrong...
    Surely its time for another curse of the rainbow jersey, maybe sky are banking on Cav not riding for most of next year ala Ballan? :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Perhaps the most interesting bit of the announcement is that Eisel has gone with him.

but Eisel's move was part of the deal and that wasn't kept very well secret either

Eisel was the road captain for HTC and the brains behind the train - so he could turn out to be very useful for looking out for wiggo etc as much as cavendish. tidy bit of business in the grand scheme of things.

and he's prepared to share a room with cav which deserves a medal in itself :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • great news! roll on 2012
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    How long are the contracts?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'm stunned.

So certain he was going to sign for Endura.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    So what do people think then - a team biased towards Cav with a couple of climbers to help Wiggo ? I'm assuming Wiggo is going to be team leader for the GC in the Tour of course.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    from the Sky site-

"Edvald Boasson Hagen, who won two stages at the Tour de France for Team Sky earlier this year and was a former team-mate of Cavendish's at what was then Columbia-HTC, commented: "I know from my time riding with Mark at Columbia-HTC what a special talent he is and it’s great that we are back on the same team.

"Mark is a good guy, delivers when it matters and is another weapon in our squad for next year."

No, he ruddy well did not utter those words.

He uttered something briefer. In Norwegian.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    At last.

How many replica shirts will be sold do you reckon?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Tusher wrote:
    from the Sky site-

"Edvald Boasson Hagen, who won two stages at the Tour de France for Team Sky earlier this year and was a former team-mate of Cavendish's at what was then Columbia-HTC, commented: "I know from my time riding with Mark at Columbia-HTC what a special talent he is and it’s great that we are back on the same team.

"Mark is a good guy, delivers when it matters and is another weapon in our squad for next year."

No, he ruddy well did not utter those words.

He uttered something briefer. In Norwegian.
    I think the words were more like "yeah, and you want to play lead out? No thanks". EBH is versatile enough not to get caught up but what about Geraint Thomas or Ben Swift. Is this the time to decide when they become domestiques or pursue their ambitions?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I Like Cavendish. I Like Sky. I don't like them together though. I'll reserve judgement untill i see how 2012 pans out, i'm jus hoping this move doesn't become a career ender for others.
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Bit like Christmas Day now: presents opened; feigned excitement at the presents we bought ourselves for other people to wrap up for us; turkey eaten; pudding done; only the washing up and a crap film to watch. Not really a lot to do until Easter now is there?
  • Actually, the EBH quote is interesting... "on the same team". As Cav is technically still an HTC rider until 31/12 does that imply that EBH has resigned for Sky (did I miss that one, or has that not been announced yet?).

Perhaps EBH to stay at Sky and the whole Pinarello/Specialized thing is the bottle of red wine that you always get on Boxing Day from the in-law you didn't see on Christmas Day?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Can't help think that this is great for Sky, great for British Cycling, great for publicity, etc.

But won't be great for Cav. Just a feeling...
  • I Like Cavendish. I Like Sky.

But which one is better? There's only one way to find out...

:-)
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    Pokerface wrote:
    Can't help think that this is great for Sky, great for British Cycling, great for publicity, etc.

But won't be great for Cav. Just a feeling...

a23khx.jpg
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    He's Signed for Sky - wow thats really a surprise that will make me sleep alot better tonight :roll: