Heating on?

2»

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    One advantage of living over a food place is the warmth coming up from below, not a great deal but enough. The question is am I man enough to go through till March with just the boiler coming on for hot water in the taps?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Made me chuckle this thread, we have the xmas heating challenge amongst a group of us, we see how close we can get to xmas before we switch it on. I have an advantage being single but I'll never win it outright, I know someone who hardly feels the cold anyway and is one tight fecker as well, he'd probably only switch it on when the ice on the windows was actually on the inside.

12 th December in 2010, and thats only as i was getting up at silly o clock and the kitchen was damn cold. never goes on earlier than 1st december as putting an extra layer on is far cheaper.

I grew up in North wales where the only heat was a open fire in the front room. Ice on the single glazed windows was commonplace in winter and i remember my mum breaking icicles off the inside of the frame in the mornings.

when i bought my own place and had central heating it was a novelty and i sat round in shorts and a tshirt for the 1st winter. then the gas bill came in :shock:
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Heating's On, Unfortunately...

More importantly why when my Gas usage in the 2 month period of august and september came to a total of £41 do British gas want to make my monthly payments £79, and when my Electric usage was £29 for 2 months do they want to take it up to £49 monthly
    :shock:
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    raymc wrote:
    Money saved equals annual Skiing trip Courchevel 1850 so can't be bad. :wink:

Skiing trip?? Surely the best time for a cyclist to visit a French ski resort is during certain parts of July? ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    "I grew up in North wales where the only heat was a open fire in the front room. Ice on the single glazed windows was commonplace in winter and i remember my mum breaking icicles off the inside of the frame in the mornings."

I grew up in the south of england during the sixties and seventies and remember the same thing. We coped well with weather that these days would bring the nation to a shuddering halt. Despite all the talk of 'resillience' we seem to be a softer, more timid people than we once were.

Not long to go until the Daily Wail -20 Ice Age...
  • Lit the living room fire once or twice, just to keep things a bit warmer in the evenings.
    Plenty of logs from the leilandia trimming to get through and still a bit of coal in the bunker.
    Doubtless when daughter returns from Uni, for her "Reading Week" in November, she'll demand the heating goes on!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    I put on a lighwieght fleece top last week...

Perhaps people arn't able to cope with relative cold any more.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    SWMBO is trying to convince me that buying an electric heater to heat just the living room will save us money. I'm not sure - will save us having to use the gas boiler, but isn't electricity way more expensive per unit energy? No idea of the relative efficiency of gas vs. electric heating either.

My offer of just getting on the turbo for 45 mins every time she's cold didn't get a very positive response.
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    SWMBO is trying to convince me that buying an electric heater to heat just the living room will save us money. I'm not sure - will save us having to use the gas boiler, but isn't electricity way more expensive per unit energy? No idea of the relative efficiency of gas vs. electric heating either.

My offer of just getting on the turbo for 45 mins every time she's cold didn't get a very positive response.

Heating with electric fan heaters or storage heaters is way more expensive than gas central heating. Just turn the boiler up, you'll heat the whole house and you may even pay less than an extra single electric heater in one room.

Personally I don't turn the heating off, I just have the thermostat set to 16 degrees in the times when there is no one in and to 20 when there is. I view it as a maintenance thing as it's quite an old house it is prone to damp if it stays cold for any length of time.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    raymc wrote:
    Money saved equals annual Skiing trip Courchevel 1850 so can't be bad. :wink:
    I'm impressed at your ski trip budgeting, or is it your single-mindedness in leaving your family behind? I spend less than £500 a year on heating a 4 bedroom detached house on a windy hill in north-east Scotland, saving enough for a ski trip would be a bit of a challenge.

As for tales of ice on the windows while growing up, I think I can score quite highly with the occasion when I woke up to find an abandoned teacup on my bedside table with an inch of tea in it - frozen solid.

Only beaten by a rather serious unplanned bivvy in the Cairngorms one time when there was ice on the inside of my sleeping bag :shock: