Heating on?

MaxwellBygraves
MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
So, have you put your heating on yet?
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Had it on for a bit in August. I gave up telling my wife to put a jumper on, it just wasn't worth it. Ive put it back on this week after I realised the direct debit comes out of her account.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    mine never goes off - have a digital boiler - temp gets lower than a predetermined seting - heating comes on!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Damn right it's on, I can look out my window and see fresh snow on the hills. Off to find my ski wax.... :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Yep, we have fired ours up

It packed up though in August so Worcester Bosch had my pants down with a standard charge!

I fitted a fireplace in August and as we speak my Dobermann is glued to the hearth, he goes beserk if i try to move him

I am off to get her shoes he loves chewing them! ha ha
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Nope. Still shorts and t-shirts round here.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • "Put ya coat on duck".

Oooh! are we going out?

No, I am and I'm turning the heating off. :P
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,089
    No heating here

Log burner instead :oops:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    DesWeller wrote:
    Nope. Still shorts and t-shirts round here.

+1
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Made me chuckle this thread, we have the xmas heating challenge amongst a group of us, we see how close we can get to xmas before we switch it on. I have an advantage being single but I'll never win it outright, I know someone who hardly feels the cold anyway and is one tight fecker as well, he'd probably only switch it on when the ice on the windows was actually on the inside.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The Mrs keeps mentioning it, but I'm refusing a the moment ! Put a bloody jumper on woman !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • all of these jumpers on women. looking good for the girls in knitwear thread. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    If I had it my own way, the heating would be set to the "stop the pipes freezing" setting and then left alone. No need for heating in a house when it's possible to put on extra clothes.

It would also make winter turbo trainer sessions a more attractive prospect as a way of warming up.
  • I hate the cold as much as I hate paying fuel bills. So with the temperature newly down 19 degrees I'm getting to that point where it's like having a nagging couple going at each other inside my head. :cry:
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    Boiler is set for 17.5c. It hasn't come on yet and probably won't until January when it'll hit 16c through the night (where the temperature sensor is).

I'm not a postman but do wear shorts all year round and work in -20c so am well used to a snotty nose.
    Powered by Haribo.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've had 2 wood-burner stoves installed this week and spent yesterday afternoon liberating pallets from the local tile warehouse and chopping them up for firewood!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • raymc
    raymc Posts: 38
    your having a laugh!

Don't normally have heating on before Christmas unless exceptionally cold and then only to take the chill off.

Very much put another layer on, wife and kids used to it too.

Plenty of exercise, fresh air and South facing house makes all the difference. Wear a scarf indoors, 2 pairs of socks, 100% wool jumpers- sorted.

Have just bought 2 Merino underlayers long sleeved- a 150g and a 180g, they'll be worn in the house this winter,

It's not that I'm particularly tight :lol: just bloody minded- refuse/resist, will not KowTow to RipOff Britain. Hence also the daily commute stepped up this year- hardly use the car, F**k ''em all I say!!! :x
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My dual fuel bill back in May was just over a grand (two quarters' worth) and we have the thermostat fairly low and heating off except for first thing and evening peak in the winter months. Ruined my plans for some bike bling.

Heating will go on when my bike fund has repaired itself and my wife and children will just need to move about a bit to keep warm.
  • raymc wrote:
    your having a laugh!

Don't normally have heating on before Christmas unless exceptionally cold and then only to take the chill off.

Plenty of exercise, fresh air and South facing house makes all the difference. Wear a scarf indoors, 2 pairs of socks, 100% wool jumpers- sorted.

Have just bought 2 Merino underlayers long sleeved- a 150g and a 180g, they'll be worn in the house this winter,

It's not that I'm particularly tight :lol: just bloody minded- refuse/resist, will not KowTow to RipOff Britain. Hence also the daily commute stepped up this year- hardly use the car, F**k ''em all I say!!! :x

I bet it's great living with you :wink:
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    raymc wrote:
    your having a laugh!

I bet it's great living with you :wink:

Wonder how much it will cost to fix when the house gets damp.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • raymc
    raymc Posts: 38
    30 years together must be doing something right?! :lol:

Money saved equals annual Skiing trip Courchevel 1850 so can't be bad. :wink:

What damp?? Note the South facing house aspect, and very well insulated house,MTFU! :roll:

Also, 20mins of hard exercise first thing soon warms you up.
  • So, have you put your heating on yet?

Lol no chance.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Heating isn't on yet and I try to get to the end of November before I flick the switch.. I like the idea of the Christmas challenge though. A bit of self-denial is in the Christian spirit, no?!!

Mind you, I did drain my central heating system down the other day. I'll do a second flush this week and then tip a whole bunch of inhibitors/descalers into the feed/expansion tank. If the forecasts for the next few weeks turn out to be accurate, it could be a cold 'un and I want to screw as much efficiency out of my ancient Potterton as possible. Twenty two years old and still going strong. (And I'm too tight to replace it!)
  • Being a student i didn't with mine on last year to mid december.... gets a tad tiring wearing a helly hansen indoors though! Then... even better, because I'm a student we didn't pay the bill when it came! (Its probably people like me who make your fuel bills so high!) :roll:

Living in Madison at the moment... rumour has that it doesn't get above -10 some days in January! I may have to rethink my strategy somewhat!!!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    well, offically 1st Novemeber is heating on day for us. Although we are in sunny London the house is an old house with solid walls which are useless for keeping in the heat. Also got a loft extension done and I'd swear the builders didn't fit as much insulation as they said they would and claimed they did. Floors have been striped back so lovely and fresh but cold in winter, if you put your hand on the gaps between the floor boards you can easily feel the breeze.

Grew up in Ireland in a house with no central heating, only a fire in the living room and a range in the kitchen. It was cold in the bedrooms up top! Ice on the side window was common. Windows were wooden framed and single paned, some were warped so didn't close fully, rolled up newspaper used to fill the gaps.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    well, offically 1st Novemeber is heating on day for us. Although we are in sunny London the house is an old house with solid walls which are useless for keeping in the heat. Also got a loft extension done and I'd swear the builders didn't fit as much insulation as they said they would and claimed they did. Floors have been striped back so lovely and fresh but cold in winter, if you put your hand on the gaps between the floor boards you can easily feel the breeze.

Grew up in Ireland in a house with no central heating, only a fire in the living room and a range in the kitchen. It was cold in the bedrooms up top! Ice on the side window was common. Windows were wooden framed and single paned, some were warped so didn't close fully, rolled up newspaper used to fill the gaps.
  • kieranb wrote:

Brings back memories of my parent's friends place in Rochdale in the 70's when I was a nipper - coldest I've ever been - FACT !

Heating on in my place - f**k no !! Not until you can see your breath first thing in the morning - inside the house !
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Have no heating upstairs, only a gas fire in the living room and a coker in the back. Winter's cold but to be honest its never really been a problem, just nice to get £30 gas bills in winter, lol.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I don't mind putting a jumper/fleece on and I probably would have the heating on less than most people I know,* but wearing scarves indoors is too far IMO. I grew up with ice on the inside of my bedroom window and don't feel the need to go there again.

* If I were single :wink:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Good grief no. Middle of Nov/beginning of Dec maybe ....
  • No