City Traders Tell Lies?

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Mayor's cycles are taken on 205-mile trek
Mark Blunden
7 Oct 2011

Two Boris bikes have completed a 205-mile course that is believed to be the longest continuous ride on London's hired cycles.

City traders Lindsay Williams and Lee Bartholomew rode through the night without a break at up to 40mph.
The route followed the London and Olympic marathon courses, plus 149 miles of the London 2012 men's cycling road race, and included nine ascents of Box Hill in Surrey. The ride started in Greenwich on Friday evening and finished at The Mall, 90 minutes under their 24-hour goal.

Mr Williams, 48, a father-of-three from Wimbledon, said: "It was a lot harder than either of us had expected, especially once we were out in the Surrey lanes in the middle of the night."

The pair returned the bikes to The Mall docking station, incurring £100 charges. Mr Williams said: "If anyone uses Boris Bike 18282, please be gentle with it. It deserves a rest."

They have so far raised £2,600 for the financial charity Opportunity International.

Evening Standard

riding Boris bikes @ 40mph?

Do you believe it?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Could you hit 40mph down hill on one they have said they went up box hill.......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited October 2011
    Nine ascents of Box Hill ? Maybe they mean 14mph - 40mph and they would have completed the course in 5 hours - didn't the reporter think about that ? Sounds like rubbish journalism to me
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,376
    Sketchley wrote:
    Could you hit 40mph down hill on one they have said they went up box hill.......

Not too difficult at all given the weight of those things and sparing use of the brakes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • spen666
    Nine ascents of Box Hill ? Maybe they mean 14mph - 40mph and they would have completed the course in 5 hours - didn't the reporter think about that ? Sounds like rubbish journalism to me

Don't think you have thought about it

Journalist doesn't say they averaged 40mph, but they reached up to 40mph

Twittering @spen_666
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Couple of rates swaps traders at Lloyds I believe...
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    How would they measure it?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    garmin or similar?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,122
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    How would they measure it?

Would have to be an iPhone
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Up to 40mph. I do that every day but rarely go above 25mph.
  • I don't believe they were city traders, if they were they would have crashed the bikes! :lol:
  • Camion
    Camion Posts: 60
    "at up to 40mph" can you lot not read?

They averaged <10mph (205 miles / 22.5 hours) Hardly an impossible task, even on a Boris bike.

Good on them I say. Maybe you should stick to reading the Sun or Star, the reading age is considerably lower. Tools.
    Colnago Extreme Power - Dura Ace
    1980s Colnago Master Steel - Super Record Delta
    Brompton M3L-X Raleigh Nitro MTB
    1981 Viscount Sport Orange Evo 8 single speed
    Specialized Langster Carerra Subway zero
  • Amazing achievement. 2500m of climb on a BB. Talk of doing a Boris LEJOG next. And yes, they do talk about the 'superfast' descents in the Surrey Hills, so that's where the 40 mph comes from.
  • City Traders ,lying surely NOT :lol:
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Doing 40mph even downhill is not too easy, the hills and roads around the north downs are not like the alps, there are very few places that you could do this speed. I am not sure how the boris bikes would handle at 40mph either, also not very aero and you would have run out of gears well before this speed, maybe coming down off leith hill but in Autumn these roads will have leaves all over them.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Camion wrote:

They averaged <10mph (205 miles / 22.5 hours) Hardly an impossible task, even on a Boris bike.

Good on them I say. Maybe you should stick to reading the Sun or Star, the reading age is considerably lower. Tools.

Thanks for that - not sure why you're so wound up about it though - you can point out errors without insulting others
  • Camion wrote:

Thanks for that - not sure why you're so wound up about it though - you can point out errors without insulting others

You were the one accusing two blokes who'd just completed a charity run of lying - or was it the reporter you thought was making things up?
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    if they were real city traders, with the amount of coke in their systems should have only taken 3-4 hrs max

three days later still not eaten........... :roll:
  • Camion wrote:

You were the one accusing two blokes who'd just completed a charity run of lying - or was it the reporter you thought was making things up?
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    estampida wrote:
    if they were real city traders, with the amount of coke in their systems should have only taken 3-4 hrs max

Not all City traders do coke !!!
  • spen666
    Greggyr wrote:
    estampida wrote:

some do pepsi?

Twittering @spen_666
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    ok then they ate some contaminated beef

or a vicks sinus thing from the states......

or had a motor hidden in the frame

or UCIi non legal seat post and bar shape & a tailwind :lol:

and a pepsi max - extreme to the max, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greggyr wrote:
    estampida wrote:

Agreed.

Dirty brokers on the other hand, with their pointy shoes and shiny suits.... :wink:
  • Hi I am the city trader guy in the article who planned and recently did the 205 mile Boris ride. Happy to answer any questions out there . We got to 40.5 mph on one lap of the Box Hill loop , measured on one of the 3 Garmins I had to have with me for when the batteries ran out . Pretty sure It was on the Tyrells Wood golf course part of the Box Hill lap , there is a sharp dip followed by a steep ramp up just before the golf course. they handle fine at that speed due to the fat tyres , you just have to get low to get your head down partly behind the magazine rack.
    There are some pix and more details on my charity page

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/lindsaywilliams
    [/img]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    spen666 wrote:

Sneaky bit of editing there Spen?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi I am the city trader guy in the article who planned and recently did the 205 mile Boris ride. Happy to answer any questions out there . We got to 40.5 mph on one lap of the Box Hill loop , measured on one of the 3 Garmins I had to have with me for when the batteries ran out . Pretty sure It was on the Tyrells Wood golf course part of the Box Hill lap , there is a sharp dip followed by a steep ramp up just before the golf course. they handle fine at that speed due to the fat tyres , you just have to get low to get your head down partly behind the magazine rack.

[/img]

Pretty amazing, if anything this thread has given you a little more exposure, I'll make a donation.
  • Hi I am the city trader guy in the article who planned and recently did the 205 mile Boris ride. Happy to answer any questions out there . We got to 40.5 mph on one lap of the Box Hill loop , measured on one of the 3 Garmins I had to have with me for when the batteries ran out . Pretty sure It was on the Tyrells Wood golf course part of the Box Hill lap , there is a sharp dip followed by a steep ramp up just before the golf course. they handle fine at that speed due to the fat tyres , you just have to get low to get your head down partly behind the magazine rack.

[/img]

So are you going to do the Boris LEJOG?
  • spen666
    spen666 wrote:

??????? I've not edited anything.

I posted story and then corrected Jay's misinterpretation of story.

What editing are you on about? I've not edited anything

Twittering @spen_666
  • I can confirm that Lindsay and Lee did this. I joined them on the Box Hill loop for 5 laps from 4am to 9am Saturday. I was on a carbon road bike and they were not quick up the zig-zag. However on the downhill loop round the back of Box down to the A24 they went 40odd Mph downhill - those Borises shift downhill because they weigh a ton. They freewheeled just as fast as me (and I weigh 95kgs)!

I also tracked them down the Fulham Road and onto the Mall around 5pm Saturday afternoon.

So the claim is legit.

Bon courage to the Nutters from the City trading floor!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    spen666 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

??????? I've not edited anything.

I posted story and then corrected Jay's misinterpretation of story.

What editing are you on about? I've not edited anything

I believe you edited that response to Jay DubbleU's post when you eventually realised that the article said "up to".

Maybe you should man up and apologise to the Boris Bikers
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • spen666
    I believe you edited that response to Jay DubbleU's post when you eventually realised that the article said "up to".

Maybe you should man up and apologise to the Boris Bikers

I have not edited anything.

The article was quoted verbatim and I was always aware it said up to 40 mph.

does any right thinking person think that anyone could average 40mph over 200 miles on any bike.

The whole point of my question was to raise the issue of someone doing 40mph at any time on a Boris bike.

I have nothing to apologise to Jay for. It wasn't me who ranted about the article suggesting it was an average of 40 mph

I also have nothing to apologise for to the riders for asking a question and seeking views as to whether others believe that the bikes had been ridden at up to 40mph

Twittering @spen_666