Winter is Definitely Coming

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
5C and pouring with rain. And likelihood that there will be snow on the mountains very soon. Bummer
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• I'm in Tyne & Wear, all I can say is here we go again! this year armed with Marathon Winters and a full new endura outfit so it makes things better :D
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Too right.

I felt like one of the Little Pigs last night. That wind was incredible!! :shock:

Glad it eased off somewhat before I set off this morning. :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • I'm in Tyne & Wear, all I can say is here we go again!

I'm up here too. But I can do cold - it's the wind that is starting to annoy me. It always seems to be in my face.
    I'm sure it changes direction through the day. Someone up there is trying to piss me off. :x
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Yeah it has been getting up the past few days, mild though yesterday I thought, chilly today. Same as you on that note the cold I can do, just always that first time on the saddle in the morning brr and then your all good haha
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm trying out 3/4 length bib shorts for the first time. I can't actually see the point... my shins were cold this morning. Might as well be wearing longs.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    pretty bad here this morning, i was getting blown all over the place....an not in the good way

we had sideways rain too
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    it snowed in switzerland (Arosa and probably other towns) a couple of weeks ago apparently.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • lovely and fresh this morning but i was still a sm when i got to work.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Under 10C here.... Don't like the wind, but that's all.
    The gathering darkness depresses me.

However, as it gets cooler, means I don't sweat as much.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I'm still rocking short sleeve jersey and shorts down here.... :P
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    rebs wrote:

same here, although my feet were a bit chilled this morning.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    rebs wrote:

i still am up here too!!

i dont generally wear gloves or mitts. but this morning the old pinkies were freezing
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • meanredspider
    Well my prediction was right - there was snow on the Benn this morning (Benn Wyvis (1000m-ish) which I can see from my living room across the Cromarty Firth).

Out with the Airjack 851 - reminded what a fab jacket it is. Wore it with no baselayer and was toasty even when the rain & hail got me. RW80s and Woolie Boolies too.

Only disappointment was my L&M Stella 400 lights. Can't find any way of mounting them on the Boardman CX because of the suicide brakes. They're going back to be replaced with the Ay Ups that came top in the BR test.

Grim wind up here too (30kmh) but I applied some underarm MTFU this morning so I was fine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    mr_si wrote:
    I'm trying out 3/4 length bib shorts for the first time. I can't actually see the point... my shins were cold this morning. Might as well be wearing longs.

+1 Either it's cold enough for longs or it isn't. 3/4 "Knicks" (even the name is stupid) have all the downsides of tights (uncomfortable behind the knee) without the benefits.

I once bought a pair of Endura Meryls (3/4). Fortunately they were such rubbish quality that they went back.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    lovely and fresh this morning but i was still a sm when i got to work.

+1 Kinda looking forward to my 3/4 shorts arriving...
  • First time this year wearing a long-sleeved jersey, got five minutes down the road and regretted not wearing full-fingered gloves.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    First time this year wearing a long-sleeved jersey, got five minutes down the road and regretted not wearing full-fingered gloves.

At this time of year I always have some in my bag as a back up, I hate having cold knuckles
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    @MRS - get an extender arm, the short one. As long as the lights aren't too heavy it works really well.

This kind of thing:

minoura%20swing%20grip.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cicada
    cicada Posts: 25
    The arm warmers were on all the way in this morning. Right about the mitts, took a few kms before the hands warmed up. I'm not sure how i feel about my 3/4 shorts, they do help on the right days but never worked out which days there where :?
    More hills?
  • meanredspider
    @MRS - get an extender arm, the short one. As long as the lights aren't too heavy it works really well.

Thanks KB - I thought about something like that. There were some additional disappointments with the L&M lights though - the Boardman has a tapering and triangular top tube which isn't ideal for mounting the battery on. Normally I'd go for the stem but the brake cables get in the way (as would that device that you've pictured). The cables are very short, really limiting the options.

Then I saw the Ay Up review and investigated further. They come with a little "bridge" over the stem clamp which should work perfectly. For the price of the L&M's, I solve my problem, get 200 extra lumens, an extension cable and the 6-hour battery

CYP215.lights.open_prev-399-75.jpg

Merlin will take the L&Ms back as they are unused.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Still in shorts. Got cold toes so the overshoes might have to come out for more than just rain soon.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    First time this year wearing a long-sleeved jersey, got five minutes down the road and regretted not wearing full-fingered gloves.

Even in the -12C of January? Your tough.... :shock:

Know what you mean really!! :lol:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • First time this year wearing a long-sleeved jersey, got five minutes down the road and regretted not wearing full-fingered gloves.

Even in the -12C of January? Your tough.... :shock:

Know what you mean really!! :lol:

Absolutely, I just wear really large comedy socks to over the gaps. ;)
  • ffs... as CJ pointed out I was dressed for winter this morning. SS jersey, shorts and mitts.

Wusses :D

ps - he was actually wearing 2 duffle coats. How I have no idea...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I'm not saying it was cold in birmingham today but i was considering not chilling my water bottle before the ride in.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Cold and rain I can live with, but not the bloody wind :(

Really does me in :cry:

Hoping it dies down as predicted for tomorrow :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    ffs... as CJ pointed out I was dressed for winter this morning. SS jersey, shorts and mitts.

Wusses :D

ps - he was actually wearing 2 duffle coats. How I have no idea...

It's cold. Baselayer comes out tomorrow, as do the thermal 3/4 tights. Brrrr.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    Hard work getting home tonight - strong wind right on the bow
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    You guys are proper hard, how much red meat do you eat? Or is it a can of special brew before you leave in the morning that gives you that all important ready brek glow for cold weather:)

It reminds me of a guy I regularly saw on my commute into central london via clapham and stockwell. This dude wore shorts and vest come rain, sunshine or snow. I kid you not. When most of us were struggling to keep warm in sub zero temperatures, he was still dropping the surfer look. I thought he was nuts. It's not any of you is it? He was on a montain bike and had a massive backback.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Brought out the Castelli jacket this morning, stupid idea it was no where near cold enough, boil in the bag again.

Looks cool though 8) oh and I did PB the commute route 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.