Is the 2012 Orange Five SE a rip off at £4600?

13»

Comments

• supersonic wrote:
    I know of very few people who have bought 2012 bikes at all. Many are cottoning on that the older stuff is better value, and I think the biking community is starting to get a bit sick of some of these prices.

There seemed to be more sale bikes around at the end of this season than normal.Perhaps people are voting with their wallets?

I`m also noticing that it is the big brands that are most guilty of price pushing.

Still I did see the Voodooo Wanga on offer today for £800.RS Revs,XT drievtrain,Elxiir R brakes,Minion tyres,a bit of a bargain by current standards.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is a very good deal. I hope the big names do startto reduce prices. They can't keep relying on the die hard fans to keep buying their products when so much bette ris on offer elsewhere now.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,668
    supersonic wrote:
    That is a very good deal. I hope the big names do startto reduce prices. They can't keep relying on the die hard fans to keep buying their products when so much bette ris on offer elsewhere now.
    Seems like there are some good deals to be had on the 2011 stuff, even the bigger names/popular stuff. 22% off a 2011 Lapierre was good enough for me :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    for a frame that cracks then yes i would say it's a ripoff.. i know of a few friends who have cracked their fives one mate had 3 warrenty replacments all crack...
    now if the 2012 one has addressed these issues then maybe it wont be such a ripoff..

i will say this though in oranges deffence i never met five owner who slates the bike everyone who had one rates them even my mate who is on his 4th one still loves the way it rides...
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Who here slates their own bike?

Not many people would...
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    It reminds me of landrover owners (of the past),
    Always breaking down, getting them fixed then going back for more! :?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    that sounds like an intresting topic for a new thread...
    i do kind of well i more lost confidance in mine after my accident which messed my shoulder up... hence why i have a new shinny frame sitting here waiting to be built.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    delcol wrote:

i will say this though in oranges deffence i never met five owner who slates the bike everyone who had one rates them even my mate who is on his 4th one still loves the way it rides...

Wow, so people buy bikes that they like? This is a radical new theory, but it's so crazy it just might work.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I did try a Five once just to see what the fuss was about and it did ride very nicely indeed,but I wouldn`t pay a premium when a lot of chepaer bikes work just aswell.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That was the same for me. So many single pivot bikes that ride just as well. Or better - my old 140mm Saracen felt better!