Is the 2012 Orange Five SE a rip off at £4600?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    How long before someone jumps up and tells me I'm an idiot for not buying a German mail order bike I can't test, buy or even look at? :roll:

Some fool might. But, it won't change the fact that this is a ridiculously overpriced rip-off bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    How long before someone jumps up and tells me I'm an idiot for not buying a German mail order bike I can't test, buy or even look at? :roll:

Some fool might. But, it won't change the fact that this is a ridiculously overpriced rip-off bike.

In your opinion. I wouldn't but a 5 SE same as I wouldn't spend that much on any bike. Others would (Not all fat bankers) and I'm sure they're very happy with them. Say what you want about building a bike from parts sourced from online stores. 'Fact' is I did and was badly let down.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    bails87 wrote:
    Calling their bikes a rip-off, saying the guarantee is rubbish because some companies offer a life-time are both slandering.

Basically your just whinging for the sake of whinging.

Slander is a malicious falsehood, apparently, neither of those things are malicious falsehoods. So it's not slander.

Agreed on the slander (libel actually). This is a forum it is about opinion and hopefully Orange will read it. Are they going to take the op to court and argue the value Proposition ? No chance.

No chance indeed. I think they are probably laughing at the silly sods who buy their bikes ;-). Good on them I say!
  • Northwind wrote:

Say what you want about building a bike from parts sourced from online stores. 'Fact' is I did and was badly let down.

There can only be 1 person to blame for that though......
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not an Orange hater by any means. I like the products and the company. What's not to like? Durable, made in the UK, good performance. In fact, If they had made that 5 with the linkage I saw a picture of I'd probably own one now.
    I am disappointed that Orange have priced their full builds so high though.
    They have a very loyal following, and I do not see that is is a good way to repay their customers. The upgrades are a complete mickey take; upgrade to Hope V2 will be £300 which is about RRP and you lose the value of the avids (or whatever) that you've already paid for! Unbelievable. They need to take a close look before people vote with their wallets IMHO.
  • supersonic
    Be good if the frame could drop to Heckler prices ie 1100 quid. Santa Cruz is seen as a high end brand, yet their single pivot bike is lighter, 300 quid cheaper and has a great track record.
  • Northwind wrote:

Say what you want about building a bike from parts sourced from online stores. 'Fact' is I did and was badly let down.

There can only be 1 person to blame for that though......

Personally I blame the shop that sells it's gear as new, just the same as you'll get anywhere else, when it quite clearly isn't.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    In your opinion.

Well, no- it's a matter of maths not opinions. The complete build costs more than the sum of its parts bought at retail. We're not comparing with competitors here so there's no intangibles or arguments of personal preference- to build the exact same bike yourself would cost you less.

It's like deciding you like a stem at £25, a bar at £25, and a seatpost at £25, then being offered the opportunity to buy all 3 for £100.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253
    I wonder if they have actually sold any at that price.
    Has anyone here bought one, or know somebody who has bought one?
  • supersonic
    I know of very few people who have bought 2012 bikes at all. Many are cottoning on that the older stuff is better value, and I think the biking community is starting to get a bit sick of some of these prices.
  • GSP1984
    GSP1984 Posts: 79
    I have a 2012 Five Pro on order, I went for the majority of the upgrades to some extent... RRP was £3721 by the time I had finished... I made sure I didn't pay anywhere near that.

Anyone that sees an RRP price and actually pays it worries me, on higher value items I like to get at least 10% discount on RRP.

I am by no means a fanboy, I tested a ton of bike and went with what rode best and felt right. I broke a Zesty 514 during a test ride... infact I should rephrase that... it broke, I didn't break it. I was very tempted by the SC Blur though, again I was worried it would break though :(
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    I would have loved to have gone for a Five. Keep it British and all that. So I took one for a test ride around the Peaks but I just didn't like the bike. To be fair, it was good fun on the down hills but on the up hills it was terrible.

The head angle was far to shallow for me and it just felt like a chopper! It weighted a tone too. The one I tested with reasonable kit came in at 31lb with peddals.
  • tofu21 wrote:
    I would have loved to have gone for a Five. Keep it British and all that. So I took one for a test ride around the Peaks but I just didn't like the bike. To be fair, it was good fun on the down hills but on the up hills it was terrible.

The head angle was far to shallow for me and it just felt like a chopper! It weighted a tone too. The one I tested with reasonable kit came in at 31lb with peddals.

You should have seen my BMC supertrail, it came in at 16.3 kg in trail mode, and even that was do-able on the ups. Your just used to your stumpjumpers :)
  • supersonic
    Says the man with an 8kg road bike ;-)
  • supersonic wrote:
    Says the man with an 8kg road bike ;-)

Haha yeah, but my current MTB is also 15kg, which is absolutely no problems.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I saw a couple guys riding around in the parking lot at Coed y Brenin a couple weeks ago each on a 2012 5 SE. I didn't know it was that model at the time. The bike looks nice but that's a lot of cash. I'm sure they enjoyed themselves.
    Many happy trails!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    I know of very few people who have bought 2012 bikes at all. Many are cottoning on that the older stuff is better value, and I think the biking community is starting to get a bit sick of some of these prices.
    It's become like cars. Don't buy new, let someone else do that and take the depreciation hit and get a second hand model, or go for an ex demo, or last years stock they're trying to sell off cheap.
  • I have an Orange five S 2012 with upgraded front forks, pro II hubs and neon green colour upgrade on order, got 10% off RRP would have gone for the pro but would have been about £400 more and I don't really need the extras it had over what I ordered. Got to wait two weeks delivery though.......
  • GSP1984
    downs523 wrote:
    I have an Orange five S 2012 with upgraded front forks, pro II hubs and neon green colour upgrade on order, got 10% off RRP would have gone for the pro but would have been about £400 more and I don't really need the extras it had over what I ordered. Got to wait two weeks delivery though.......

Which forks have you gone for? That will be where the delay is..,

There is a massive wait on the Factory Float 32 RLC, I was told 3 weeks about 1 week ago, I've also been told they won't be getting any until the 14th November which will be gutting if true.
  • GSP1984 wrote:
    downs523 wrote:
    I have an Orange five S 2012 with upgraded front forks, pro II hubs and neon green colour upgrade on order, got 10% off RRP would have gone for the pro but would have been about £400 more and I don't really need the extras it had over what I ordered. Got to wait two weeks delivery though.......

There is a massive wait on the Factory Float 32 RLC, I was told 3 weeks about 1 week ago, I've also been told they won't be getting any until the 14th November which will be gutting if true.

OMG and extra week and a half to wait. Halt the presses!
  • GSP1984
    GSP1984 wrote:
    downs523 wrote:

OMG and extra week and a half to wait. Halt the presses!

If it ends up being 14th November it will have been nearly 2 months lol, and I go to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks on the 12th November.

I'm the impatient type ;-)
  • Yeah, I noticed.

Not good, patience is a virtue.
  • Went for the fox 32 float Performance RL FIT 140mm Tapered 15RQ been on the fox website and couldn't see this exact fork??
  • downs523 wrote:
    Went for the fox 32 float Performance RL FIT 140mm Tapered 15RQ been on the fox website and couldn't see this exact fork??

You mean this one?
    http://www.foxracingshox.com/product.ph ... ref=filter

Just need to look for the RL fit, the 15qr is just the axle size. Tapered just refers to which steerer tube will be fitted, not model name for either of them.
  • downs523 wrote:
    Went for the fox 32 float Performance RL FIT 140mm Tapered 15RQ been on the fox website and couldn't see this exact fork??

You mean this one?

Just need to look for the RL fit, the 15qr is just the axle size. Tapered just refers to which steerer tube will be fitted, not model name for either of them.

Thanks but is doesn't say TALAS on the one I selected, take a look here
    http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ory_id=143

It's the second fork down in the options at bottom of the page
  • downs523 wrote:
    downs523 wrote:

You mean this one?

Thanks but is doesn't say TALAS on the one I selected, take a look here
    http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ory_id=143

It's the second fork down in the options at bottom of the page

Ah, I must have switched to another fork when getting the link, this was the one I meant!

• GSP1984
    Nope that's a different one again, that's the fork I've gone for.

The Fox Float Fit 32 RL, and Kashima coated Factory Float Fit RLC are different forks, the latter having slightly different adjustability and the kashima coating on the stanchions.
  • GSP1984
    I think it these, they look the same as were on the bike I tried...

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yuk have to admit wouldn't touch the float 32's these days, there so flexy managed was them out a few times pushing them into the corners.

Would only consider the skinny Rock shox as there relatively stiff, fox starts to work for me in the 36's as there the lighter bigger forks, and i'm fairly light.

But still poor poor pricing by orange :s
  • I love it when people just rant for the sake of ranting. Don't like it, don't buy it. No point slandering a company because you don't feel the bike meets your exact price needs.

If only the OP had added a poll to this thread! :)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo