Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Steve Jobs Dead

The_Special_OneThe_Special_One Posts: 108
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/16083581

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has died at the age of 56, the company has announced.
«13

Posts

  • Sonny73Sonny73 Posts: 2,604
    Very sad news, may he rest in peace. Steve Jobs, a true genius.
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited October 2011
    The man that made the last 20 years or so of my life possible (as a graphic designer and computer nerd). He was one of those true visionary people and touched the lives (indirectly) and probably billions of people.

    I'm actually shedding tears for a man I've never met. His time was well-spent on earth and his contributions will be missed by us all.

    RIP Mr. Jobs.
  • G.ZeroG.Zero Posts: 35
    Very sad news indeed The man that changed the world for the better :)
  • giant_mangiant_man Posts: 6,878
    Pokerface wrote:
    The man that made the last 20 years or so of my life possible (as a graphic designer and computer nerd). He was one of those true visionary people and touched the lives (indirectly) and probably billions of people.

    I'm actually shedding tears for a man I've never met. His time was well-spent on earth and his contributions will be missed by us all.

    RIP Mr. Jobs.
    +1 - same here, if it wasn't for the Mac and the Mac OS I wouldn't be in the business I am in and have been in for the last 30 + years, graphic design, shudder to think what I would have to use if it wasn't for this genius pioneer, RIP Steve .....
  • GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Steve and the company he founded have led the way in bringing some truly useful technologies to market. He will be missed.

    On the other hand, if every one of the bourgeois bohemians who are constantly going on about their apps, their iPhone, their iPad in its iPurse or their Mac were to disappear in a puff of smoke right now . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • GizmodoGizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I remember using the Apple Lisa that Steve Jobs worked on before the Macintosh - both were truly revolutionary. Object oriented programming and graphical user interfaces, things that we use every day today (even if you didn't know it) can be traced back to this man.

    Definitely a sad day and at only 56!

    R.I.P.
  • seatalteaseataltea Posts: 594
    So much for an Apple a day.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • kentphilkentphil Posts: 479
    RIP Steve Jobs
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
    things that we use every day today (even if you didn't know it) can be traced back to this man.

    Damn' straight - you can argue all day about who invented them (and lots of people will) but making them into usable products and getting them out there is what counts for making them into the things that we use.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Keith1983Keith1983 Posts: 575
    The world will certainly be a worse place now it is missing his vision, drive and genius. RIP Steve Jobs.
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    seataltea wrote:
    So much for an Apple a day.
    I considered posting that, but thought I'd leave it to someone else :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • tom34tom34 Posts: 24
    RIP Steve.

    Sorry for my ignorance but in the world of graphic interface/design, what exactly did Steve do? I know they say apple is better for graphic applications but how is it better?

    I'm not in the field obviously.
  • seatalteaseataltea Posts: 594
    It just goes to show that what my mother says is truer than ever.

    'As long as you've got your health'

    All the money in the world is pointless if you're toast at 56.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • RoobsaRoobsa Posts: 37
    seataltea wrote:
    It just goes to show that what my mother says is truer than ever.

    'As long as you've got your health'

    All the money in the world is pointless if you're toast at 56.

    “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me… Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful… that’s what matters to me.” Steve Jobs
  • GazzaputtGazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    56 is no age.

    Has left a legacy on this world he can be proud of.
  • tom34 wrote:
    RIP Steve.

    Sorry for my ignorance but in the world of graphic interface/design, what exactly did Steve do? I know they say apple is better for graphic applications but how is it better?

    I'm not in the field obviously.

    WIMP. Windows, Icons, Menus and Pointing Devices. All commonplace today (can't imagine not having any of them) but totally revolutionised the software and hadware industries. Not necessarily an Apple invention (Xerox PARC), but they brought it to the market successfully. Now basically referred to as a GUI (graphical user interface). Basically meant that idiots like me could start understanding computers.

    Very sad news about Jobs, RIP.
  • Can't they just switch him off and on again?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • NervexProfNervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Can't they just switch him off and on again?

    crying :lol::lol::lol:
  • TBH didn't know who the man was but tragic to die so young when it seems the less deserving seem to go on and on.

    RIP.
    Tail end Charlie

    The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Omar LittleOmar Little Posts: 2,010
    Sad news and the man certainly left his mark on the world

    However some of the mawkishness around his death is a bit creepy - i passed an apple store this morning and there were people outside it leaving flowers and lighting candles.

    Bit ridiculous - He was a great salesman and business leader, very good at bringing technical innovation and design to a mass market. A good achievement but is it really worth the deifying? It is as if he was Ghandi, Picasso and Einstein all rolled into one.
  • tom34tom34 Posts: 24
    pinkbikini wrote:
    tom34 wrote:
    RIP Steve.

    Sorry for my ignorance but in the world of graphic interface/design, what exactly did Steve do? I know they say apple is better for graphic applications but how is it better?

    I'm not in the field obviously.

    WIMP. Windows, Icons, Menus and Pointing Devices. All commonplace today (can't imagine not having any of them) but totally revolutionised the software and hadware industries. Not necessarily an Apple invention (Xerox PARC), but they brought it to the market successfully. Now basically referred to as a GUI (graphical user interface). Basically meant that idiots like me could start understanding computers.

    Very sad news about Jobs, RIP.

    I thought xerox or microsoft did that first? am i mistaken?
  • lostboysaintlostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    edited October 2011
    I'm going to hell :)

    twit-image-1.jpg?w=600&h=600
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • did you know one of Jobs quotes was

    "A computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's a bicycle for our minds"
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • LangerDanLangerDan Posts: 6,132
    His death is a sad loss but he's in danger of becoming the Princess Di of the black-turtleneck generation

    Gallery
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • CrapaudCrapaud Posts: 2,483
    Can't they just switch him off and on again?
    :lol:

    I'm going to steal that!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • lifeformlifeform Posts: 126
    Sad news and the man certainly left his mark on the world

    However some of the mawkishness around his death is a bit creepy - i passed an apple store this morning and there were people outside it leaving flowers and lighting candles.

    Bit ridiculous - He was a great salesman and business leader, very good at bringing technical innovation and design to a mass market. A good achievement but is it really worth the deifying? It is as if he was Ghandi, Picasso and Einstein all rolled into one.

    Indeed.

    If there's one thing that's really marked Apple's renaissance, it's that they managed to capture that loyalty the old Apple market had (Media/Design area) and get the common or garden consumer hooked, and then transmute that loyalty into this quasi-religious fervour people have for Apple products.

    That's what made him the business genius, in my opinion, and I think that's why we'll now have this awful Diana-fication of his death, certainly in media circles.

    It'll be interesting to see what happens to Apple now he's bought the farm. They've achieved the Brand zen which only the likes of BMW have got to; that of being able to put their badge on any old pile of censored and people will still fall over themselves to buy it. So whether Apple will discard his values - much as BMW discarded it's core values - and forget about the technical excellence in favour of a quicker profit.
  • Redhog14Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    lifeform wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see what happens to Apple now he's bought the farm. They've achieved the Brand zen which only the likes of BMW have got to; that of being able to put their badge on any old pile of censored and people will still fall over themselves to buy it. So whether Apple will discard his values - much as BMW discarded it's core values - and forget about the technical excellence in favour of a quicker profit.

    this is already the case if not more so, MAC steadfastly refused to integrate their products with anyone else (unlike MS) and would share none of the their hardware best examples standard sized jacks don't fit their phones, all of which is designed to ensure that you had to buy only their ancilliries. Not sure what SJ's "core values" actually were except innovation and being a charismatic salesmen pushing gadgets.

    Not knocking the guy it is a shame that a genius innovater (?) has passed away and so young. I just don't get "the cult".

    As for your comment re BMW - they are still at the forefront of technical innovation - their engines are cleaner and more powerful than competitors and when the next M5 comes out they will again set the benchmark. IMO BMW have diversified but not neccesarily sold out.
  • lifeformlifeform Posts: 126
    Redhog14 wrote:
    As for your comment re BMW - they are still at the forefront of technical innovation - their engines are cleaner and more powerful than competitors and when the next M5 comes out they will again set the benchmark. IMO BMW have diversified but not neccesarily sold out.

    You've not had to life with a BMW for any length of time then? :wink:

    Cost-Engineered garbage in comparison to how they used to be nailed together. The 1 Series is an especially hateful device when driven over any distance. The E60 I had was the final straw after the continual self-destruction machine which was my E46.
Sign In or Register to comment.