edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/lo ... _1_3838516

In the local rag, some great comments :lol:

edit

I claim the Shaggy Defence..............It wasn't me

Comments

• TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    As an angler and recreational cyclist, I too think pole users need to act a bit more responsibly. It's quite common to see a pole 'shipped back' blocking a path. Perhaps pole fishing should be banned from any section of water that has public access behind the angler within pole reach?
    "Coming through..."
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Perhaps we should all try to get on and share the spaces that are designed for multiple users.
  • TuckerUK
    Indeed, where that is possible. But the unpredictable nature of fishing, and the requirement to ship back the pole when a fish is caught to land it, doesn't really lend itself to 'sharing' unfortunately. They can use rods instead where public access is an issue, it wouldn't kill them. I use a rod.
    "Coming through..."
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I like the bit where someone mentions his deaf daughter being worried by the lack of bells on bikes...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    How did benefit cheats get involved ?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    TuckerUK wrote:
    Indeed, where that is possible. But the unpredictable nature of fishing, and the requirement to ship back the pole when a fish is caught to land it, doesn't really lend itself to 'sharing' unfortunately. They can use rods instead where public access is an issue, it wouldn't kill them. I use a rod.

I agree, looking at the picture with the story that type of fishing in front of that towpath simply isn't possible without causing too much disruption.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    And keep angling guys, whilst your're fishing the wives like a toned men in lycra popping round to discuss pole length

:lol:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I was a paddler long before I was a pedaller so I wholeheartedly approve of this kind of thing :wink:
  • bikey2009
    bikey2009 Posts: 121
    Bloody lazy lot them fishermen. Long carbon poles just to reach across about 20ft of canal. Save yourself some money, fish from the other side with a shorter rod :twisted:
  • Has anybody done the old angler management issues post yet?
  • bikey2009
    bikey2009 Posts: 121
    Thought them carbon poles melted in the water anyway.

They do do don't they.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Can you get cheap chinese fishing poles and what carbon layup do they use ?....
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • I used to regularly run along sections of the local towpaths and often used to find the path blocked by an anglers pole. Usually they would make an effort to move them out the way and I would recognise this with a cheery "thanks mate". Sometimes they would be actively removing a hook from the fish and so I would stop and say "no hurry pal". Occasionally they would see me coming and still leave the pole blocking the path inviting me to hurdle the barrier which i did but somehow I would always clip the pole with my trailing leg - acccidently of course.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • It was a funny read. I'm sure it's the same ignorant people ranting (with little knowledge of the highway code), saying:-

Don't cycle on the road.
    Don't cycle on the towpath.
    Cyclists should pay road tax.
    Cyclists should never hold up cars.
    Cyclists should never cycle next to each other (even on a quite road)....

So where should cyclists go? I do believe the world would be a better place if more cycled (I'm starting to sound like Lennon, better get some sleep).
  • Just see them as cross hurdle practice and, if your wheel "accidentally" clouts them in the back of their head, your foot kicks their maggots into their lap or you mis-time your dismount and have a leg carbon interaction, ooops, sorry.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    edited October 2011
    Fishermen!! If you want fish that badly, go to Morrisons like normal people !!!. Poncing around in thigh-high rubber wellies, I bet they're all perverts.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    MichaelW wrote:
    Fishermen!! If you want fish that badly, go to Morrisons like normal people !!!. Poncing around in thigh-high rubber wellies, I bet their all perverts.

Though I bet they know the difference between "their", "they're" and "there".
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    In my experience, people on canal boats are all having a great time. They say hello and are smiling.

Cyclist vary. Some are sociable and some aren’t.

People fishing always look bloody miserable. I have never had a smile, hello or any other pleasantry from a fisherman.

Many years ago, I tried to bunny hop a fishing pole. It didn’t go well and resulted in lots of shouting and me going warp factor 11 to make sure I got a good distance between me and the fisherman in question. Not a clever thing to do but we all miss time things from time to time.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    too right bompington - anglers expect sole use of the canal and some get extremely upset if you dare to use the canal at the same time, whether in the water, on it or by it

problem is that they have to buy a licence to fish, they don't buy privilege with it....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    until an angler is kicked in the canal so hard his teeth come out, they wont consider anyone else

oh but they pay £5 for a license they must own it all......... including the tarmac, they use it normally to store deaf kids and immigrants........

oh ffs :roll:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    estampida wrote:
    until an angler is kicked in the canal so hard his teeth come out, they wont consider anyone else

oh but they pay £5 for a license they must own it all......... including the tarmac, they use it normally to store deaf kids and immigrants........

oh ffs :roll:

License costs £25. Just sayin...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Ben6899 wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:
    Fishermen!! If you want fish that badly, go to Morrisons like normal people !!!. Poncing around in thigh-high rubber wellies, I bet their all perverts.

Though I bet they know the difference between "their", "they're" and "there".

A man after my own heart
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • TuckerUK
    too right bompington - anglers expect sole use of the canal and some get extremely upset if you dare to use the canal at the same time, whether in the water, on it or by it

That's SOME anglers.
    "Coming through..."
  • I actually ran over some guy's carbon fibre fishing rod once, he's left it across the towpath in the shadows. Shattered it totally unfortunately...
    Trek Madone 5.9, Trek Rumblefish 2, Kinesis Racelight T for the rain and a Kawasaki ZX12 R.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have the Basingstoke Canal at the end of my road and have been a dog walker, runner and cyclist user of the towpath for over 20 years. However, on occassion that there's a fishing contest it's a nightmare for every other user. Firstly the fill up the local roads with their cars and completely clutter up the narrow path with unbelievable amounts of kit. I have on occassion enjoyed the hurdles but have on occassion run over poles left across the path when the user is oblivious to other towpath users - they do make a satisfying crunch. Just because they've paid for a permit somehow makes them think they own the place - a bit like people who think road tax entitles them to priviledges over other road users! The worst are the overnight campers who waddle about 20 yards from their cars and leave a huge pile of rubbish and beercans stuffed into the bins that the foxes then strewn all over the path - getting close to nature my ar$e!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I can't condone any kind of violence but I do understand the frustration on canal paths, I live near the Kennet & Avon and on the few occasions i've cycled along it I found dozens of fishermen all with rods blocking the path, usually resting on a box or chair behind them, most have been good and seem me coming then moved it out of the way a couple have been total cocks and no moved it at all even when a couple of walkers reached him.

I must admit when returned past that dickhead I didnt stop, a quick bunny hop and away - I couldnt hear what he was shouting, perhaps something about expensive carbon fibre :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Sounds like a brilliant new sport to me. Welly Throwing, Dwarf Throwing (Tossing) http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/sep/15/mike-tindall-dwarf-throwing and now Throw the Bloody Angler in the Canal! :twisted:
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I can't condone what happened but must admit, I've lost track of how many times I've really wanted to pitch an angler, complete with all their gear, into the Leeds/Liverpool or Aire/Calder canals near where I live.

They can be an absolute pain.

It's not just pole fishers that cause problems as some anglers have so much kit that they have to wheel it onto the towpath on buggies which are then left strewn all over the place. At one popular fishing area near Castleford it's not uncommon for the towpath to be blocked by cars.

More recently, the growth of leisure craft has introduced a new hazard to the inattentive rider. Faced with the lack of mooring points, some vessels are attached to ground spikes or even trees. I've seen a number of ropes stretched across the towpath recently. One at head height amongst folage.

Bob
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    bompington wrote:
    I was a paddler long before I was a pedaller so I wholeheartedly approve of this kind of thing :wink:

ha ha.
    £$%^&^ Gnomes eh?
  • TuckerUK
    ...getting close to nature my ar$e!

And once again I'm at pains to point out that's SOME anglers.

In general , the reason why so many waterways have been cleaned up and returned to their natural glory is mainly due to the pressure from anglers and the revenue they can bring in.
    "Coming through..."