KHS XCT-556 ---- Jan 2013 Pg. 5

Comments

• hopefully not. but its the first big button i see.

however feel free to post your comments, that is what this section is for. :D
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • has anyone who owns these wheels, and im sure there are a few of you, managed to get the green Hope rim stickers on properly?

to me the radius of the sticker is miles away from the rim. stupid things
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Useful upgrades. Glad to see you're still loving it.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    looking good, maybe some subtle red like seaclamp and grips?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Lewis A wrote:
    looking good, maybe some subtle red like seaclamp and grips?

yeah was thinking that sort of things. probably Hope seat clamp for a bit of bling.
    Clank wrote:
  • ok, iv had a go at setting the new wheels up. my god what a joke!!!!

its soo hard to put my spesh tyres onto the rim, needed 2 levers for both tyre beads. and once its finally on i cant get the tyre to seat up onto the 'shelf' in the rim to form the proper seal. even with a tube in i cant do it!

anyone got any tips or advice?

iv looked on the net but cant find anything other than other people having same problems as me.

and on the stans offical video the guy just pushes the tyre on with his hand! is he chuck norris or something?
    Clank wrote:
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Nice looking bike...could have been me that may have recomended it (I remember the bear) pitty they don't get more recognition as they are great well built bikes with a good spec at a decent price !!

Enjoy it !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    sanchez89 wrote:
    ok, iv had a go at setting the new wheels up. my god what a joke!!!!

its soo hard to put my spesh tyres onto the rim, needed 2 levers for both tyre beads. and once its finally on i cant get the tyre to seat up onto the 'shelf' in the rim to form the proper seal. even with a tube in i cant do it!

iv looked on the net but cant find anything other than other people having same problems as me.

and on the stans offical video the guy just pushes the tyre on with his hand! is he chuck norris or something?
    You need to get the tyres onto the rims and use a compressor to inflate the tyres to a very high pressure until they "pop" onto the right part of the rim, which should seal them.
  • sanchez89 wrote:

You need to get the tyres onto the rims and use a compressor to inflate the tyres to a very high pressure until they "pop" onto the right part of the rim, which should seal them.

what sort of pressures we talking here. im sure on the rim it says dont exceed 40 psi. i think i was pumping until around 50. the tyre was rock hard, especially the area around where the valve was. maybe i just need to man up and go higher. just dont want it to explode and damage the rim.

i take it you have experienced how tough tyres are to get onto this rim?
    Clank wrote:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    sanchez89 wrote:
    sanchez89 wrote:

what sort of pressures we talking here. im sure on the rim it says dont exceed 40 psi. i think i was pumping until around 50. the tyre was rock hard, especially the area around where the valve was. maybe i just need to man up and go higher. just dont want it to explode and damage the rim.

i take it you have experienced how tough tyres are to get onto this rim?
    I believe the difference is the speed at which the compressor inflates the tyre, as opposed to a track pump. And no i have no experienced these rims but its usually the deal with tubeless systems. Hope this helps, i don't want to say go above the reccomended pressure incase you blow your tyres to smithereens, but it could help a bit :wink:
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    edited December 2011

I believe the difference is the speed at which the compressor inflates the tyre, as opposed to a track pump. And no i have no experienced these rims but its usually the deal with tubeless systems. Hope this helps, i don't want to say go above the reccomended pressure incase you blow your tyres to smithereens, but it could help a bit :wink:

well i tried with the Spesh tyre once again today, with a tube in, to get the bead to seat properly. i got upto around 90psi according to my pump and still no joy.

iv given up and managed to set up my non tubeless WTB wolverine instead. its currently lying on its side with the sealant finding its way into any small holes. so will see in the morning if its still inflated.

i am gutted that i cant use the Spesh tyres, not long bought them!
    Clank wrote:
  • double post ignore me
    Clank wrote:
  • well how about this for backwards.

checked this morning on the WTB front tyre, all is well, stayed pumped up overnight after a quick spin round yesterday. so thats all gravy.

now i thought i try the rear. i put the tape on, valve in. so good so far.

looking at my current rear wheel with the spesh eskar on board, i thought to myself, ill try it. but i was wary considering the trouble i had with the purgatory.

so i whipped it off the old rim and started putting it on the crest, tyre levers were at the ready as i was expecting a fight. but guess what. no need.

what a joke, the eskar is wider than the purgatory and yet i can push the eskar on by hand. no need to lube up the tyre or anything, just made sure it was in the central channel all the way round and with a little bit of a shove for the last 3-4 inches and were laughing!!

tried to pump it with my trail pump/mini track pump but cant get high enough quick enough to seat. so to work this afternoon with the compressor again.

i had contacted the place i bought them from cuz i thought the wheels were faulty. it says on stans website you can use spesh 2bliss tyres and i was baffled why the purg wouldnt go on.

looks like it was that stupid tyre!
    Clank wrote:
  • Just a quick pic of the bike as it stands now. The girlfriend bought me a 185mm rear disc and adpater so rear brake now same size as front, and with damn good power to match.

tubeless running has been good so far, but only been over to Sutton Park so not a true trail test as of yet. for anyone interested tyre pressures are 22psi front and rear. i think these tyres perform much better at low pressure.

P1000543.jpg

bit of a downer though is that during my trip to Sherwood Forest i managed to lose the little silver cover/plug for the floodgate adjuster screw.

P1000548.jpg

i spoke to my LBS (Daves Cycles) about ordering a replacement, they contacted SRAM and were told you have to order the whole cap assembly and its £30!

forget that!!! so anyone got any ideas what to put in the hole??
    Clank wrote:
  • sanchez89 wrote:

Put this in the crudcatcher, you'll get really good answers there!
  • sanchez89 wrote:

Put this in the crudcatcher, you'll get really good answers there!

yeah thanks for that........

anyway, i weighed it yesterday and as it stands 13kg exactly. not bad at all i dont think.
    Clank wrote:
  • Sweet bike.

I have some Advantage 2.1's on mine. They handle everything really well. seeing as you've got quite a lot of travel on the KHS you'd probably be best with something like an Advantage on the rear and something a little more aggresive on the front.

(I know this reply is a little behind but i missed the other 2 pages :3)
  • Bikerguy15 wrote:
    Sweet bike.

I have some Advantage 2.1's on mine. They handle everything really well. seeing as you've got quite a lot of travel on the KHS you'd probably be best with something like an Advantage on the rear and something a little more aggresive on the front.

(I know this reply is a little behind but i missed the other 2 pages :3)

ah dont worry about it, just glad someone's reading it!!

yeah the tyre situation has been bugging me a bit, went out for a ride today over cannock on the natural off-piste trails and conditions were bad. i was expecting to be on my arse do to the cacky WTB's but they performed remarkably well. they cleared very quickly for non mud specific and i was getting a controllable amount of drift when pushing them.

so to be honest i think they will stay on till i either rip the wall or they run out of tread. then maybe swap to 2.25 Advantages/ 2.35 High Rollers all round.

just had a look in your spesh thread, needs updating but a nice looking bike, heard many many good things about them!

EDIT: was looking at your hardtail, hadn't noticed the bouncer, now that is a nice looking beast!
    Clank wrote:
  • Aye, sounds like a good idea. No point spending the money unless you are having a real battle with your current tires.

Thanks. I swapped the bits round from the hardrock. Rides really well.
  • DomN86
    DomN86 Posts: 112
    Hi sanchez89,

Very nice bike, love the colours; red, black, gold and anodized blue, great combo, looks good.
    sanchez89 wrote:
    bit of a downer though is that during my trip to Sherwood Forest i managed to lose the little silver cover/plug for the floodgate adjuster screw.

P1000548.jpg

i spoke to my LBS (Daves Cycles) about ordering a replacement, they contacted SRAM and were told you have to order the whole cap assembly and its £30!

Is this it? = RockShox Dust Cap Bike Spare : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockShox-Dust-Cap-Bike-Spare-/160549619480?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item256180c718
    GIANT YUKON FX2 - http://goo.gl/xtIfv.
  • sanchez89
    DomN86 wrote:
    Hi sanchez89,

Very nice bike, love the colours; red, black, gold and anodized blue, great combo, looks good.
    sanchez89 wrote:

P1000548.jpg

Is this it? = RockShox Dust Cap Bike Spare : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockShox-Dust-Cap-Bike-Spare-/160549619480?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item256180c718

no mate, its a metal tapered plug with a little rubber o-ring about half way down. it fell out when i was assembling the bike. should have wrapped some tape round it and made it tight fit. bit late now.

Here's what it is, its on an Argyle fork so compression cap is different but its the little silver plug on top. 2.5 gate stamped on it:

rockshox-argyle-rct-slopestyle-suspension-fork06.jpg
    Clank wrote:
  • sanchez89
    Just quick update. Bought a Muckynutz Benderfender to stick on, see if it helps prevent bit of mud spraying from front wheel.

P1000550.jpg

read some reviews and all seem positive, so just have to try it and see. Also bought a Blackspire bash ring to replace big chainring, but had to order new bolts as neither the originals nor the 1's included would fit.
    Clank wrote:
  • Ashweee
    Ashweee Posts: 48
    I bought a bender fender recently and have to say I think its really good and looks much better than a neoguard too. You still get a little bit of spray when its really wet but its definitely reduced. Nice bike btw, i like all the mods you've done so far :)

Ash.
  • sanchez89
    Ashweee wrote:
    I bought a bender fender recently and have to say I think its really good and looks much better than a neoguard too. You still get a little bit of spray when its really wet but its definitely reduced. Nice bike btw, i like all the mods you've done so far :)

Ash.

Clank wrote:
  • sanchez89
    New bolts arrived today from CRC, so bash ring has been fitting, outside in the cold aswell. i no bolts are silver but i dont think they look too bad at all.

P1000554.jpg

i think it looks very nice indeed, iv wound in high limit screw to remove the 3rd gear on mech.

bike as it now looks.

P1000555.jpg

comments always welcome, ideas for improvements also.
    Clank wrote:
  • So much more practical than triple rings.

I'm going to do the same. Did you change the size of the middle ring or keep it the same? I'm was going to go up 2 teeth from 32 to 34 as i only have a 8 speed cassette out back, should just give me a little bit more range.
  • HarryK
    HarryK Posts: 84
    Looking good! May I suggest a shorter stem? Your's looks to be pretty lengthy.
  • sanchez89
    Bikerguy15 wrote:
    So much more practical than triple rings.

I'm going to do the same. Did you change the size of the middle ring or keep it the same? I'm was going to go up 2 teeth from 32 to 34 as i only have a 8 speed cassette out back, should just give me a little bit more range.

Thanks, the current middle ring is 33 and im happy with that so no. Iv got more gears than i use so dont feel the need to change any of them really.

i was tempted to get a 2x10 specific x9 chainset but i couldnt justify the cost.
    Clank wrote:
  • sanchez89
    HarryK wrote:
    Looking good! May I suggest a shorter stem? Your's looks to be pretty lengthy.

Thanks, the stem is 80mm long and to be honest i wouldnt fancy going any shorter. the setup is perfect for me.

i am tempted by some 710mm wide bars though! :D
    Clank wrote:
  • sanchez89
    Got yet another new part, this time something new and unsual to me. a pair of these:

P1000557.jpg

with new compatible shoes of course, after alot of messing about i think iv got the cleat pretty much sorted. left 1 is sound, my right foot at the top of the pedal stroke feels, well a bit odd. it doesnt hurt, it just feels strange.

with the pedals set on their weakest tension its very easy to clip in and out, i ordered some of the multi release cleats but i may not need them.

and yes before anyone asks i have already tipped over still attached. luckily it was in the garden and nobody saw.
    Clank wrote: