£2886

Mojo_666
Mojo_666 Posts: 860
edited January 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Savings during 1 year not smoking based on the cost of Marlboro Lights when I quit.

That is a new bike for me :D

Oh and I feel better for not smoking of course. :lol:

Comments

• Cool. I'm only just entering week 2.
  • Good stuff :)

Wait until you've been stopped for a couple of years and you see the price of cigarettes in the shop, you'll end up wondering how you ever afforded it in the first place!
  • Mojo_666
    Congratulations fella :D

Money well saved and money well spent!
  • Mojo_666
    Cool. I'm only just entering week 2.

Hard bits done then. :D
  • Mojo_666
    Good stuff :)

Wait until you've been stopped for a couple of years and you see the price of cigarettes in the shop, you'll end up wondering how you ever afforded it in the first place!

They have gone up close to 50p since I quit so my savings should be more really.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666

Waiting for the Canyon 2012's for the spend dude. :wink:
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    awesome!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Nice one - well done! £3K - that's amazing!

Good on ya
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Savings during 1 year not smoking based on the cost of Marlboro Lights when I quit.

That is a new bike for me :D

Oh and I feel better for not smoking of course. :lol:

Well done, keep it up
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Mojo_666 wrote:
    Mojo_666

Sweet, what sorta thing you going for?

Something in the middle like Tom's or a bit bigger like mine?
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Mojo_666

Sweet, what sorta thing you going for?

Something in the middle like Tom's or a bit bigger like mine?

Probably the Nerve AM, I was looking at the 2011 AM 8.0 so whatever spec is closest to that a dropper seat post is a must have item for me. :)
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    That's incredible! I'm going to give up buying shoes and hand bags for the missus. I might get the new £8k Willier this time next year!
  • Very happy to hear! I really need to quite smoking sometime, but it's so bloody hard. I got myself off them for about 6 months a year ago, but somehow managed to get back on.

I am praying I get the will power to do it. Any tricks that worked for you?
  • Mojo_666
    Very happy to hear! I really need to quite smoking sometime, but it's so bloody hard. I got myself off them for about 6 months a year ago, but somehow managed to get back on.

I am praying I get the will power to do it. Any tricks that worked for you?

No tricks just will power and maybe the trick of reminding yourself that you are going to get something very nice, very shiny and pretty expensive after 12 months, 6 months is really good, that's all the blood sweat and tears done really. It's just keeping it up, probably what helped me the most was everyone else I knew well quitting before me so at the time I quit I had no bad influences left.

I also track my progress with an app call MLC "My Last Cigarette" which did help tbh as I could see figures etc.
  • Mojo_666
    Keith1983 wrote:
    That's incredible! I'm going to give up buying shoes and hand bags for the missus. I might get the new £8k Willier this time next year!

Imagine how flush I would be if I had of done that too!!

not worth thinking about now though. :cry:
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Well done mate!! Almost £3k is an amazing amount to spend on killing yourself. I stopped five years ago and have only just now realized where my house deposit came from. Given the inflation etc I reckon around £13k.

For those of you just starting out quitting (I know it sounds odd) stick with it my friends. Well worth it in the long run. Good luck and think about that new bike. The ironic thing is that when you've stopped smoking you can afford a £3k ride as well as do it justice.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Well done on quitting the smokes. Been off them myself for just under 18 months. To anyone wanting to give them up read Allen Carr's Easyway book. Has worked for me, my other half and a few friends. You can pick it up online for less than a packet of fags.
  • Mojo_666
    This saving just got me a Nerve AM8.0X..and a very healthy dose of change.

Now that's got to be motivation for someone else to quit.
  • nice work keep it up...

though i wouldnt tell the wife/GF, otherwise it will be spent before you can say "steel or carbon?"
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • gixernick
    gixernick Posts: 180
    I've been given up 6 1/2 years and the price of them has rocketed.
    I went from a £68 VW Golf off eBay to a Seat Leon Cupra 20v turbo with the money I saved and decided if I started again the car would have to go and back to a shed!!
  • well done. ive been stopped 2 years now and i know how agonisingly hard it is to stop (i went cold turkey). i just kept saying to my self youve gone one day you can do two, three, a week, two weeks then the pain eases up. I still get the odd urge even now but i feel so much better for it.
  • Well, I have finally gotten on the boat and stopped smoking as well. On day 4 now, craving a cigg harder than ever but I refuse to go to a Tabak and buy a pack, or even ask someone for one. Got an app on my phone, and saved almost 15 quid already!
  • Mojo_666
    What app? I use "My Last Cigarette" saved £3155 now. :|

Well done, it gets easier just focus on what you can do with all that spare cash. ;)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I've never smoked, so I must have saved nearly £100k by not smoking from the age of 15 onwards. <Heads over to Merlin>
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Not much of an achievement having not smoked in the first place if you ask me. Of course it is great, but it doesn't deserve a reward. For the smokers who are stopping good luck.

The App I used is called Quit. It has a nice widget that goes on the home screen that shows ciggs not smoked, time not smoked, money save and also what percent of damage your lungs should have. Of course take that last part with a grain of salt.
  • For the smokers who are stopping good luck

Those who try always fail.
    " I'm trying to give up the smokes" = fail
    Those who give up ... give up.
    "Na, I gave up mate." = how life should be, tobacco-free.

Stopping = trying = failure.
  • Mojo_666
    Got my new bike and that figure is now £3713.

Mmm what to buy next? ;)
  • Mojo_666 wrote:

Mmm what to buy next? ;)

Well done!

I suppose you're now definitely a non-smoker rather than an ex-smoker! It's great when you get to the point that you realise that you'll never smoke again.
    As fir the price of a packet, I noticed in Heathrow a couple of days go that they're £9 a pack in some of the shops. Not long any everywhere will be the same I guess!
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 wrote:

Mmm what to buy next? ;)

Well done!

I suppose you're now definitely a non-smoker rather than an ex-smoker! It's great when you get to the point that you realise that you'll never smoke again.
    As fir the price of a packet, I noticed in Heathrow a couple of days go that they're £9 a pack in some of the shops. Not long any everywhere will be the same I guess!

Yeah 16 months now so definitely non smoker, I wish I could easily adjust that figure to take into account the higher price, the application I use to track my progress is basing the savings on £6:30 a packet.............£9 is just shocking.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Halfway through my third week.. Going cold turkey, finding it quite easy actually. Just keep telling yourself. "I'm a non smoker" get on the bike more and just see how well you improve in such a short time.. I'm not going to be breathless within 5 mins of riding anymore! Drop all my mates on rides and smash em on the inclines... Sweet!
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838