OT - 5h1t chocolate bars

fenboy369
fenboy369 Posts: 425
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I've just had a 'new' Twix Fino. What a waste of 40p that was. You cant even use it as a straw like a proper twix. Dont even bother. :evil:

Whats the most unsatisfing chocolate bar you've ever had?
'11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
'11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
'09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
'07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep -it's basically chocolate coated plywood that's been heavily attacked by woodworm. Kind of a stick shaped Ferrero Roche.

The only way to make a Twix Fino worse would be to put it in Hershey 'chocolate'.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Hershey's Kisses, or in fact just about any US chocolate. Tastes of sick.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Double Decker.... no competition.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    +1 for hersheys and anything american. Horrible stuff.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

It tastes like ashes. I was so disappointed when I first tasted american chocolate. TV lies to you, people...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    rebs wrote:
    Double Decker.... no competition.

I disagree - Double Deckers are imense.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Whatever happened to Texan bars? ..... and why didn't it happen sooner? Lost a tooth to a texan bar I did but as the slogan went "a man's gotta chew, what a mans gotta chew....":(
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Whatever happened to Texan bars? ..... and why didn't it happen sooner? Lost a tooth to a texan bar I did but as the slogan went "a man's gotta chew, what a mans gotta chew....":(

I liked Texan bars as a kid - there was something industrial about them - they weren't gone in a flash like, say, a Flake.

I like Double Deckers too.

I agree about American chocolate too - foul stuff.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I smelt a bag of kisses and it smelt like someone had thrown up in the bag, foul as feck
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lion Bars, Toffee Crisp, Wispa.

Holy Grail of chocolate has to be a Drifter, but I would want a massive bar of it over 2 small fingers
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oh dear - already gone OT into the usual chocolate nostalgia thread........ :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452

Those Reese's peanut butter cups are rather more-ish....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    You can now buy a proper Twix in the USA, for years I had to take a suitcase full of them (along with Marmite and M&S nylons) with me whenever I flew over to see the family.

But you're correct, low-end American chocolate is foul stuff. High end though, that's a whole different cup of cocoa. Had some amazing chocolates from Chicago recently, made with pepper and sea salt - fabulous!

But worst chocolate in the UK? I vote for those foul processed-coconut bounty things - yurrggg.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Picnics are also immense. (one M or two?)

always disapointed by Kinder eggs - i dont give a feck about the toy - just want more of that delicious Kinder chocolate
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    rubertoe wrote:

always disapointed by Kinder eggs - i dont give a feck about the toy - just want more of that delicious Kinder chocolate

you can buy Kinder bars, they are only about £1 from Tesco an you get about 10 bars no toy though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    anyone remember Jolly Ranchers?

oh an Big Red chewing gum mmmmm cinnamon
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    rubertoe wrote:

In which case you shoudl try the Kinder Snack bars, I always had them on hols in France where they came 10 to a small box. They now sell them here in packs of 5.

Does anyone remember MB bars they were shit.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    coriordan wrote:
    Holy Grail of chocolate has to be a Drifter, but I would want a massive bar of it over 2 small fingers

I've just had a Drifter. And a Twirl.

Both excellent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    creme eggs

The trouble with chocolate bars is that good dark chocolate is best eaten as chocolate IMO.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    mudcow007 wrote:

Both still exist in the US. Last time I bought a pack of Jolly Ranchers was at a US PX in Baghdad.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    mudcow007 wrote:

Don't google "Jolly Rancher Story".
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,376
    Gussio wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Both still exist in the US. Last time I bought a pack of Jolly Ranchers was at a US PX in Baghdad.

The what now?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • donncha
    donncha Posts: 31
    Terry’s Secret - one of best chocolate bars of all time.
  • Ok it's a negative thread but on this one I'll join all who have nominated Hershey. At a push it might be suitable as a soap substitute for washing down a scabby dog.
    For consumption - NF way.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    edited October 2011
    Charlie Brooker on Hershey's..
    "A bloated, over-ripe corpse dredged from a polluted canal would taste nice if it was ­encased in a Dairy Milk shell. If it was coated in Hershey's, you'd find yourself glumly picking the chocolate off to get at the sludgey grey flesh ­beneath. And that's a FACT."

Can't argue with that.
  • Totally agree on Hersheys but the worst American chocolate I've ever had was at Universal Studios where I went to Harry Potter land and picked up some chocolate frogs for various friends back home. I was so careful about keeping it relatively cool (despite 100F heat in Miami) so that it didn't end up misshapen. When we went to eat it at the next movie (a month later), I realised that I shouldn't have worried. We were bashing it off the seat arms to try to crack it into bits... and when we did get a sliver off... eurgh... worse than Hersheys.

British chocolate that I don't like - probably mint aeros. I find the texture kinda waxy and the mint just strange in them.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    rubertoe wrote:

Kinder bons bons.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    rubertoe wrote:

Kinder bons bons.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I liked Texan bars as a kid - there was something industrial about them - they weren't gone in a flash like, say, a Flake.

Aye, they weren't called "the long chew" for nothing. I always keep a bar handy in case I get tied up by injuns.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • If you crossed a Twix with a Kit Kat, would you get s Kit Kix, or something else? :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem