Zebra, Pelican, Toucan, Puffin.

2»

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on our respective interpretation of the words.

The pedestrian bit is totally contradictory to the road user bit. You also get the road user prohibited from overtaking stopped vehicles vs the pedestrian instructed to be wary for vehicles doing just that. Go figure?

I think you'd be more likely to fail a driving test or see flashy blue lights if you merrily sailed through a zebra crossing with people waiting than if you stopped.

Fair enough, though what it tells about looking for cars doing that happens all the time. As for sailing through the crossing - not been stopped yet.[/i]
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Whiskey, Tango, Walnut Whip.

John LeCarre's unpopular sequels to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    edited October 2011
    have to say, from reading the various links, it seems clear that Mouth's interpretation is right and ties in with what my driving instructor told me, also from :

The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossings Regulations and General Directions 1997

Precedence of pedestrians over vehicles at Zebra crossings

25.—(1) Every pedestrian, if he is on the carriageway within the limits of a Zebra crossing, which is not for the time being controlled by a constable in uniform or traffic warden, before any part of a vehicle has entered those limits, shall have precedence within those limits over that vehicle and the driver of the vehicle shall accord such precedence to any such pedestrian.

This would seem to indicate that only when the person is on the road do drivers have to stop, it may be good manners and good practice to slow down and stop if people are waiting at a crossing but it doesn't seem illegal. Some times people at crossing are just chatting or waiting for others to catch up.

At crossings I always stick my foot just out onto the road.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    oh, the OP implies that it was a controlled crossing (as the pensioner pressed the button) so if the light was red then of course he should and did stop.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    RichN95 wrote:

Whiskey, Tango, Walnut Whip.

John LeCarre's unpopular sequels to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Or "Tim Brooke-Taylor, Soldier, Spy" as my dad always insists on calling it :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Slightly OT, but how many of us indicate that they're slowing at a crossing using a hand signal to stop other road users overtaking?

Bob
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    beverick wrote:
    Slightly OT, but how many of us indicate that they're slowing at a crossing using a hand signal to stop other road users overtaking?

Bob

I was certainly taught it on my Cycling Proficiency course years ago but am ashamed to say I don't use it. Being a semi-obscure bit of the Highway Code, would other road users these days know in a flash what it meant?

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • mouth
    beverick wrote:

Bob

A bit of something else:

We all know that a person holding a white cane means they are visually impaired, but who can define what a white cane with the addition of red rings around it means?
  • Mouth wrote:
    beverick wrote:

Bob

A bit of something else:

We all know that a person holding a white cane means they are visually impaired, but who can define what a white cane with the addition of red rings around it means?

deaf or hearing impaired.

next. thats too easy. and for reference if the ped is NOT on the crossing it is NOT illegal to NOT stop. it is also not illegal to stop as courtesy to other road users and give way to those more vulnerable than you.
    anticipation is the key and somebody walking towards the crossing and only a few feet awy may well be about to cross , good roadcraft ( be it in a car OR on a bike) will mean you start to slow down ready for the light change or them to step on the crossing.

anything else is just bad form and lycra loutishness at its worst.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • mouth
    Mouth wrote:
    beverick wrote:

Bob

A bit of something else:

deaf or hearing impaired.

next. thats too easy.

it may be too easy, yet it took three days for an answer.

next question:

A bicycle manufactured after what date (date not year) is required to display amber pedal reflectors?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Mouth wrote:
    looked at both links and all it says is "you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto the crossing". says nothing about when they're waiting to cross.

It doesn't say nothing about when they are waiting to cross - it says quite clearly that the motorist has to slow down and be ready to stop. In other words you have to be ready for them just to step out - to do that you'd have to have slowed right down almost to a stop.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Regarding the use of handsignals, as their use is part of the DSA theory test I'd expect most drivers to understand their use and meaning.

I appreciate that there may be benefit in giving a hand signal to people on the crossing but I tend to give a 'slowing' signal to make traffic behind me aware that I'm slowing for the crossing. It still doesn't stop the odd 'numpty' from overtaking.
    Speaking as a qualified driving instructor which includes being an advanced driver, the pedestrian ALWAYS has priority, if you think i'm mistaken i suggest you blow the dust off the highway code and have a look.

You have to admire someone who sticks their neck out without first checking that they are correct.

Bob
  • mouth
    beverick wrote:
    Speaking as a qualified driving instructor which includes being an advanced driver, the pedestrian ALWAYS has priority, if you think i'm mistaken i suggest you blow the dust off the highway code and have a look.

You have to admire someone who sticks their neck out without first checking that they are correct.

Bob

Glad he didn't teach me to drive. Driving instructors are heavily assessed and regulated. Surprised this one slipped through the net. The instructors at my work are assessed every six weeks or so (or more commonly whenever he feels like it, more often than that.) by the delegated examiner and every now and then by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA).
  • Tom Butcher
    I think you are being a pedant. You have to give way to a pedestrian if they are so much as an inch on the crossing before your vehicle - you should also be slowing down and be ready to stop if a pedestrian looks like they may be about to cross (it says so in the Highway Code despite what you posted above).

I don't think anyone is arguing that a pedestrian can sprint onto a crossing, get run down, and claim it's the driver's fault but to all intents and purposes the pedestrian does have right of way.

I find the fact you are a bus driver somewhat worrying - but given the attitude of many bus drivers perhaps not surprising.

• mouth
    I think you are being a pedant. You have to give way to a pedestrian if they are so much as an inch on the crossing before your vehicle - you should also be slowing down and be ready to stop if a pedestrian looks like they may be about to cross (it says so in the Highway Code despite what you posted above).

I don't think anyone is arguing that a pedestrian can sprint onto a crossing, get run down, and claim it's the driver's fault but to all intents and purposes the pedestrian does have right of way.

I find the fact you are a bus driver somewhat worrying - but given the attitude of many bus drivers perhaps not surprising.

Of course we all slow down and let pedestrians cross. Perfectly fair and simple. The whole point I've been trying to make is that pedestrians seem to think they own the crossing, much the same way in that motorists want to own the road.

On what basis do you find it worrying that I'm a bus driver? You've already admitted in your post that what I've been trying to say all along is the correct method of dealing with zebra crossings. I never said it doesn;'t say slow down and BE READY TO STOP key words being "be" and "ready".
  • Tom Butcher
    You aren't ready to stop if you just carry on through which is what you've posted elsewhere.

If someone is waiting at a zebra and you can clearly see that you should stop - not expect them to stick their foot on the road - that is just pedantry and anyone that teaches kids that is the right thing to do as some of you suggest elsewhere needs their head examined. If you want to follow the rules literally then I expect you to be doing about 0.5mph when you pass through a crossing so you are ready to stop if someone steps out.