Post your bar tape!

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Tragic Monday night thread! - post your bar tape (and mileage).

Partly down to someone on the Road forums saying that only people who ride on sportives have non-white bar tape. So, when I was on a sportive recently, I checked out the bikes at a feedstop; there were about 10 in a row of which roughly half and half where white and black. With one exception, the white taped bikes looked scruffy because of the manky bar tape. All the black taped bikes looked smart.

Now since some people seem to get through bar tape quicker than tyres (for me tape lasts at least as long as chain rings), I thought I'd post my tape.

So here it is - black cork ITM bar tape after 3000 miles. Not cleaned for the thread! Flash makes it look a bit grey but it isn't.

P1100110.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    That's the sort of arbitrary guff you'd expect from the road forum. Black tape here, but currently very scruffy due to a couple of minor offs last year.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Black for commuting, white for racing - matches my shoes.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Red tape for me on both road bikes.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Black on the CX, rather smart cos the bike is pretty new.

Tarty brown leather tape on the singlecog.

Red on the scruffy road bike (and it's scruffy, loaned the bike to a prat once who ditched the chain, got coated in grease up to his eyebrows getting it back on the rings and then didn't even bother to make an attempt at wiping his hands before jumping back on the bike).

Air tape on the unicycle.

Never had white.....sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Red tape on the Pompino, white on the Roubaix. Both Fizik MicroTex which cleans up really nicely through the magic of babywipes. Seems to last longer than cork, and I like the lack of padding.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    419rnQs20cL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Duct tape, in black.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Have Yellow & Black leoeoeoeoeoepard type design bartape.... didnt like boring black and the black and yellow matches the bike!
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Black Cinelli ALWAYS

Anything else should be illegal with on the spot fines. White tape; I ask you, who are these people! :roll:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • I'm not saying I'm hard, but I've got Nuclear Grade Gaffer Tape on my pub bike. :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Had white, didn't like it just got dirsty too quick and made the bike look all Euro and girly.

Black Cinelli gel/cork tape now looks a lot better and surprisingly good with the white hoods.

(see link in sig for pic).
  • White on the Equilibrium, black on the other two. Deda bar tape for preference in white, stays clean really quite well. Last winter I had some excellent Cinelli cork bar-tape which had a stripe of 3M reflective down the middle. Was excellent when a headlight hit it, I bought it off eBay as new old-stock, wish I could find some more.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Black tape... but its about to fall off. Will be getting my LBS to replace it this week before a sportive :oops:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ITM white on the Ribble.

It's stayed very clean.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    notsoblue wrote:
    Black tape... but its about to fall off. Will be getting my LBS to replace it this week before a sportive :oops:
    What? That's just an excuse to go to the new Pearson shop isn't it?

Back on topic: black on the commuter bikes (they came with black tape and haven't needed new yet.). White on the climbing bike coz it's purty
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Black Deda carbon tape on both bikes.

White looks shite very quickly.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Last winter I had some excellent Cinelli cork bar-tape which had a stripe of 3M reflective down the middle. Was excellent when a headlight hit it, I bought it off eBay as new old-stock, wish I could find some more.

This is half the point of the thread - did the tape only last one winter? That's nothing. As per my pic, my ITM tape looks pretty much brand new after 3000 miles.

Incidentally, my tourer has white Fizik Microtex. I made the mistake of wrapping it old style (from the middle to the end) but it soon started folding over just above the hoods being more flexy than the old stuff. So, this weekend I unravelled it and re-wrapped it from the ends. The tape now had a nice stripe of clean white from under the overlap next to the exposed grimy bit) but it all came up clean with some cream cleaner and looks like new.

However, for the most part (eg normal, non retro bikes) I can't quite see any reason not to go for cheap black cork. It seems to last forever and looks like new forever.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cheap black tape on the SS speed has a few holes where I got knocked off (at close to zero MPH) but fairly clean etc. and does the job.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Black Fizik soft touch gel stuff with a red band in it that is covered when it's wrapped, seems grippy comfortable and still looks good.

Did have some white spesh roubaix stuff but was a pain to keep clean even with clean gloves
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    White on the Focus Variado - cos that's what it came with
    Red on the Focus Cayo - ditto
    Black on the Boardman - ditto
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    White bontrager cork on the best bike and Blue bontrager cork on the commuter both about 2 years old and both could do with changing, after the winter, but they should make it though one more season.

The white tape comes up nice and white with a bit of cif on it.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • notsoblue
    JonGinge wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    What? That's just an excuse to go to the new Pearson shop isn't it?

Actually, I went in there at the weekend to ask about a BB service, and its a bit steeper than my usual LBS. They quoted £45. Nice shop and friendly staff, but I'd probably only use them in an emergency or if I needed something like a bike-fit. I'm a cheapskate like that.
  • bails87
    £45?! What does a 'BB service' involve?
    MTB/CX

• notsoblue
    bails87 wrote:

Apparently not a new BB...
  • bails87
    notsoblue wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

:shock:
    Shimano Ultegra BB: £15.99

BB tool £12.99

Job done in 15 minutes.
    MTB/CX

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The new Pearson shop is friendly and they have some interesting stock. Nice coffee too. £45 is a bit of a shocker though....
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Last winter I had some excellent Cinelli cork bar-tape which had a stripe of 3M reflective down the middle. Was excellent when a headlight hit it, I bought it off eBay as new old-stock, wish I could find some more.

This is half the point of the thread - did the tape only last one winter? That's nothing. As per my pic, my ITM tape looks pretty much brand new after 3000 miles.

Incidentally, my tourer has white Fizik Microtex. I made the mistake of wrapping it old style (from the middle to the end) but it soon started folding over just above the hoods being more flexy than the old stuff. So, this weekend I unravelled it and re-wrapped it from the ends. The tape now had a nice stripe of clean white from under the overlap next to the exposed grimy bit) but it all came up clean with some cream cleaner and looks like new.

However, for the most part (eg normal, non retro bikes) I can't quite see any reason not to go for cheap black cork. It seems to last forever and looks like new forever.

The tape would have lasted much longer, except I needed to change the shifters on that bike as they had broken completely. I do change the bar tape quite often, due to an insatiable urge to upgrade or fix bits.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

How does that compare with their Sutton store?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

How does that compare with their Sutton store?

Actually, looking at their Workshop price list I may have been wrong and they were quoting me parts + labour for a replacement.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    On the District Fizik Microtex in black. On the Kona Fizik Microtex soft touch stuff, in black. Prefer the suede feel of the soft touch tape but the District spends the day outside (in the rain) at work five days a week and wasn't sure the st tape could handle that.

@Notsoblue: Cheapskate, but you pay for someone to wrap your bars? :?: It's easy, you can even 'practise' with the backing tape stil on there. Do remember that Fizik includes a piece to cover the STI bracket thingy so you don't have to cut a piece from the roll. It's inside the roll of tape. Forget this and you come up short :oops:
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    On the white sl pro i have pink Fizik and on the pompetine Versa Alfine a nice world cup red.
    Though I should have gone with the pink on that too :)