Do i really only have 2 choices for cx bike with disc brakes

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

They aren't a must. I ride normally 6 days a week in all weathers in very hilly West Yorkshire. I've never missed the MTBs discs on the road.

Do you spend a lot of time keeping them clean? That's the two sides of discs for me in the winter - having them work when at 35mph you meet a tractor coming the other way - and not having the carborundum paste the road is covered with machine away the rims. If you're buying CX bike, not getting discs would be a false economy.

I think I'd agree on the CX bike (though I'd only buy a CX bike if I was going to use it off road at least some of the time). But yes, I do make sure the rims stay clean (doesn't take long) which is a bit of effort (though much less effort since fitting the Crud Racers) - but aside from that, the calipers are fit and forget whereas the calipers seem to need regular fettling/tweaking/new pads every five minutes etc.

A lot probably depends on climate - the East side of England has fairly low rainfall so the rims don't get too dirty as long as you do clean them after each wet ride.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've found the mechanical discs surprisingly easy compared to what I was expecting based upon comments on here. Perhaps it's because I have a lot of experience on classic car braking systems - especially handbrakes.

If you don't see a lot of wet weather and your roads are relatively clean without much salt/grit used, discs have less appeal. I think CX bikes are becoming far more popular because they are so practical as commuters. Mine will rarely if ever see a muddy field but it will spend about 4 months with ice tyres and the full guards are good for the really crappy days. Equally, the discs will give me far more confidence that I'll pull up 100kg of bike & rider in the lashing rain.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've never had any problem with hydro disc brakes on the MTB. Avid Juicys and Formula Oros have both been boringly reliable. Just change the pads when they wear, that's it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    bails87 wrote:
    I've never had any problem with hydro disc brakes on the MTB. Avid Juicys and Formula Oros have both been boringly reliable. Just change the pads when they wear, that's it.

It is amazing how variable people's experiences can be. I hate Juicy Fives with a passion normally reserved for tube drivers and lawyers.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    clanton wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

It is amazing how variable people's experiences can be. I hate Juicy Fives with a passion normally reserved for tube drivers and lawyers.

I had 7s, the feel wasn't great and I prefer the Formula Oro k18s I've got now, but I couldn't fault them for reliability.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    They aren't a must. I ride normally 6 days a week in all weathers in very hilly West Yorkshire. I've never missed the MTBs discs on the road.

A lot of it isn't for braking power - I don't want to have to rebuild my wheels every year when I wear through the braking surface.
  • mozami
    mozami Posts: 25
    go for the boardman CX disc, very light and racy... or IMO save some money and buy theyre flat bar hybrid version,which is just as good if not better in the rough, fractionally lighter, hydro brakes over bb7s and includes bar ends too
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Aidy wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

A lot of it isn't for braking power - I don't want to have to rebuild my wheels every year when I wear through the braking surface.

Just depends on approach. If you keep the bike clean, you won't need to rebuild your wheels every year. If you don't keep the bike clean, even if you have discs there's plenty of other things you'll be replacing prematurely.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kinesis Decade tripster - best cx/commuter bike on the market - ride it everyday with avid 7s
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    ridin8ude wrote:
    Kinesis Decade tripster - best cx/commuter bike on the market - ride it everyday with avid 7s

I've just buckled. The components on the CdF will shortly be living on a Tripster.

The Cotic X was remarkably tempting though, largely due to the fact that they come in orange...
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    How easy is it to release the wheel from the disc brake when having to fix a puncture??
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    NWLondoner wrote:
    How easy is it to release the wheel from the disc brake when having to fix a puncture??

Easier than with a conventional caliper. There's absolutely nothing you need to do except line up the disc with the caliper when refitting the wheel. Personally I'm yet to see a downside to discs.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    NWLondoner wrote:

Easier than with a conventional caliper. There's absolutely nothing you need to do except line up the disc with the caliper when refitting the wheel. Personally I'm yet to see a downside to discs.

Thats good to know.

Much better then caliper/dual pivot in snow as well :D