Do i really only have 2 choices for cx bike with disc brakes

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi have kinda made up my mind to get a new commuting bike and think a cyclocross bike would fit the bill only thing is like every one else i want good value for money!.
On that note and after many hours of looking online etc i can only see two bikes that fit the bill, Boardman cx which after looking on here i maybe able to get for approx £720 with two discount codes. (thanks bails).
Or the croix de fer which is £1100 so although i love the look of this the boardman kinda wins.
Anyone else have any suggestions?

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    tricross? you can get the 2011 model for £670
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Thanks for the quick answer but i really want disc brakes and dont think the model your talking about has them?
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Cotic X, Charge Filter Hi, Genesis Vapour to name just a few. All a lot more dough than the Boardman though.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Focus Mares comes in a disc version doesn't it?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Woolfie
    Woolfie Posts: 34
    Focus used to have a cx bike with discs and they have reintroduced the Mares AX 4.0 this year - about to hit the shops:

http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bikes ... ax-40.html
    Bakewell Toybox
    Bakewell
    Derbyshire

www.welovetoys.co.uk
  • Out of interest, why do you want disks for commuting? It's just more to lug around, more expense, and more to go wrong at a time when you just want to be somewhere else that's warm and dry.

Since I'm 99% committed to buying a On-One Pompetamine Alfine 11 I'm not against disks at all, but have you thought it through?
  • Thanks for all your quick replies plenty to go on :D .
    As for discs this is a must for me i commute all year round all weathers and 5 days a week, discs just give me more cofidence and with some off the descents i do are really a must :shock: .
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've experienced caliper brakes in the wet :shock:
    Apparently cantis are even worse......somehow. Decent disc brakes are reliable, both mechanically and in terms of performance in varying weather.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Discs are so much better in the wet and horrid winter - work much better and don't grind away your rims. I can't imagine that they are much heavier either
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    +1 on disks for commuting.
  • The more i look into this the more the boardman looks the best buy (dont like the paint though :oops: ).
    Just a pity my local stores are out of stock, only worry with this bike may be the bb30 bottom bracket and the faff to fit mudguards.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Boardman CX Alloy
    Charge Filter Hi/ Apex Steel
    Cotic >X< Steel
    Felt F65X Alloy
    Focus Mares AX 2.0 Disc/ AX 4.0 Alloy
    Genesis Croix de Fer Steel
    Genesis Vapour Disc Alloy
    Merida Cyclo Cross 3-D/ 4-D Alloy
    On One Pompetamine Steel
    Planet X Uncle John Alloy
    Specialized TrisCross Sport Disc Alloy

Small list of bikes, there are more availible if you search the interwebs.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    Here's my Cotic X, Very happy with it, and it's nice to have disc brakes. Might be a little bit more of an ordeal to fit a rack if necessary, but it's a great bike for my needs.

newBike.jpg
  • meanredspider
    SKS Cromoplastics couldn't be much easier to fit to the Boardman. Do get the BB grease checked from the outset though. After that, it shouldn't be an issue
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I've used a Spec. Tricross for commuting for several years, it's an ideal bike for it. Since there's now a disk version available and you want disk brakes . . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    What's the weight like on that Cotic X?

I've got a Croix De Fer, but still can't get over how heavy it is to lug around...
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Aidy wrote:
    I've got a Croix De Fer, but still can't get over how heavy it is to lug around...

Amen to that. Heavy, and the shimano brakes are useless. Unless you've got the Avid BB7s they started fitting this year. They are substantially better.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Cotic RoadRat is similar to a CX bike too (discs/chunky tires/mudguards etc) - probably not much different from the Cotic X for commuting purposes.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    lardboy wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Amen to that. Heavy, and the shimano brakes are useless. Unless you've got the Avid BB7s they started fitting this year. They are substantially better.

I upgraded mine (to BB7s), but I didn't have too many problems with the Shimanos. Didn't feel as nice, and were more fiddly to maintain and set up - but still were miles better than calliper brakes for commuting with.

Oh, right - and if I were buying again, I'd probably be pegging for a Kinesis Tripster.
    Or if money wasn't an issue, a Van Nicholas Amazon.
  • HI again went to see the criox de fer and your all right its heavy so thats out
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Also, be wary of some disc brakes.

The tektro ones that came on my RoadRat were rubbish. I've replaced the front with an Avid BB7 and it's miles better.

Both are cable mind, and neither any anything like the hydraulic ones I've got on my mtb's.
  • meanredspider
    nich wrote:
    Also, be wary of some disc brakes.

The tektro ones that came on my RoadRat were rubbish. I've replaced the front with an Avid BB7 and it's miles better.

Both are cable mind, and neither any anything like the hydraulic ones I've got on my mtb's.

Both the BB5 and BB7 are fine - the BB7 are slightly easier to adjust.

Frankly I think full-on MTB hydraulics would be a mistake - far too powerful. A smaller, lighter, system would be fine though
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    Aidy wrote:
    What's the weight like on that Cotic X?

It's not too bad, but like anything if you want light, it's gonna cost you :) I've got the carbon fork, and an Ultegra groupset on it so that helps.

Not sure on exact weights, but it's probably only a little heavier than my road bike (BeOne Storm). It's more about having a bike that has clearances for sensible tyres in the winter, and something a bit skinnier in the summer.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think Condor do a disc braked cyclo cross bike too - but again, likely to be more expensive than the boardman.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    No discs but I've fallen in love with this.

http://www.cube.eu/road/cross-race/cross-race/

What is it about the design of Cubes that they all look so good.

£999 cycle to work friendly :D
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Thanks for all your quick replies plenty to go on :D .
    As for discs this is a must for me i commute all year round all weathers and 5 days a week, discs just give me more cofidence and with some off the descents i do are really a must :shock: .

They aren't a must. I ride normally 6 days a week in all weathers in very hilly West Yorkshire. I've never missed the MTBs discs on the road.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    The thing I've found with discs on the MTB is that if you use the bike in the conditions for which it is designed, mud, filth, water, ice and snow the pistons always end up sticking no matter how well they are cleaned.

I'd prefer hydraulic rim brakes on a CX to be honest, just not sure any would be suitable.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:

They aren't a must. I ride normally 6 days a week in all weathers in very hilly West Yorkshire. I've never missed the MTBs discs on the road.

Do you spend a lot of time keeping them clean? That's the two sides of discs for me in the winter - having them work when at 35mph you meet a tractor coming the other way - and not having the carborundum paste the road is covered with machine away the rims. If you're buying CX bike, not getting discs would be a false economy.