How much do you drink?

Vesterberg
Vesterberg Posts: 330
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
I have a drink problem. Not an alcoholic as such, but wonder where I stand amongst my fellow cyclists? I can't be doing with 'units' so have done the poll in 'pints'. Not very scientific but hey.

Comments

• woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Only 5 to 7 but I have em all at once, mind
  • Last drink was 31st December 2010
  • Not a lot generally. Just doesn't really feature in my day to day.
  • When I told the hospital doctor how much I drank, they postponed the operation and put me on a crash course of vitamins for 2 days. So I'm up at the top of your scale (on a good week). On a bad week I'm way off your scale. I'm a man of good habits and bad habits. Cycling is one of the good ones.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    None since August not missed it, lost some weight saved some money. Joy.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Vesterberg please do not kid yourself that the majority of replies to this type of thread are in any way honest. The whole thing reeks of individuals scouring their home drinks cabinet in order to pick the wine/beer/cider that reveals themselves in what they hope is their best and most enigmatic light, and not necessarily the brew they have been drinking to for ninety-nine percent of their time.

I'm quite sure individuals (the usual suspects) will now indignantly argue that they are, in fact being honest about their tastes and that they never ever partake of a Fosters in the car.

I'll have a 'alf.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Arf! I get your drift Mr Eastwood.

I do like a drink though. By god I like a drink. But, conversely, it's also why i love cycling - the fitter I get, the less I want to drink because it will jeopardise my fitness. So, when in a lull from cycling, I tend to binge. Simple answer is to cycle more. I guess. Easier said than done!
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Vesterberg please do not kid yourself that the majority of replies to this type of thread are in any way honest. The whole thing reeks of individuals scouring their home drinks cabinet in order to pick the wine/beer/cider that reveals themselves in what they hope is their best and most enigmatic light, and not necessarily the brew they have been drinking to for ninety-nine percent of their time.

I'm quite sure individuals (the usual suspects) will now indignantly argue that they are, in fact being honest about their tastes and that they never ever partake of a Fosters in the car.

I'll have a 'alf.

:lol:
    (scours drinks cabinet, desperately looking for a rare vintage red, but can only find Clan Dew)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Vesterberg wrote:
    I have a drink problem. Not an alcoholic as such, but wonder where I stand amongst my fellow cyclists? I can't be doing with 'units' so have done the poll in 'pints'. Not very scientific but hey.
    Not if you count in pints per week, you don't. Gallons per day, yes.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Vesterberg please do not kid yourself that the majority of replies to this type of thread are in any way honest. The whole thing reeks of individuals scouring their home drinks cabinet in order to pick the wine/beer/cider that reveals themselves in what they hope is their best and most enigmatic light, and not necessarily the brew they have been drinking to for ninety-nine percent of their time.

I'll have a 'alf.

:lol::lol: I like Carling... but don't suppose you've ever heard of it.. :lol:
  • for years I averaged 17 pints a week. I know cos I write it down

in the last 6 months average is 12

aiming for single figures

think I've only taken one day off work this year through drink

can't imagine not drinking at all, it's just so nice
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I voted 0-1 pints a week, and to be fair even that's an average. In the last month I've drank once, four cans of Red Stripe the other day after a particularly bad day at work.

For the nature of my job, I find it difficult to drink more than 1-2 pints on a 'school night'. Don't miss the 20-pint binges and 2 day sessions form my youth though so it's not all bad.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Last drink was Valentine's Day when I shared a bottle of bubbly with Mrs. The Builder. Next drink will probably be on her Birthday on 10th December.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Not touched a drop of alcohol since 18:30hrs 12th May, 2007. Do not miss it one bit.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ther's no selection for 'Don't drink', or just 0...

i don't drink :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not much, I am a massive lightweight, 2 bottles of brothers and I'm smashed.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    Classic binge drinking. Don't normally drink Sunday to Thursday, then too much on a Friday and Saturday
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I love a beer, but rarely drink pints. Mostly it's 1 or 2 bottles of Duvel at home. Anymore than 3 and I feel it next morning. It's a sign of age!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I was a regular elbow bender years ago then just gave it up. My last drink was on New Years Eve 1988 (and, boy, was I smashed).

Don't miss it but I still smoke.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I only go to the local or the big city twice a week and probably drink about 12 pints and 8 doubles over the week, i do drink wine at home with the wife but i don't count that.
    I use the cycling to burn it off, it all seems ok and doesn't effect my AF if i keep well hydrated during the day.
    I've just been out and done a quick 45 because i'm off out for a session tonight, i'll drive and leave the motor there tonight so i have to go out for a ride to pick it up in the morning.
  • Guilty complex I think.

Couple of points to make on this. The Royal College of Psychiatrists made up the number of "safe units" per week. They had no evidence to back it up. Problem drinking is not necessarily how much you take before it damages you, rather how much you drink before it damages others.

Probably 40% of all patients I see in the West of Scotland in ITU have a serious drink problem - much more than smoking-related issues. Those patients and their families usually underestimate the quantities involved.

As for me, I drink much less than I used to, and I am possibly a better person for it.
  • I only drink twice a year - January to June and July to December.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I only drink wine, but I binge when I do. Just used a booze unit calculator and 2 litre bottles = 25 units! (The recommended is 3 to 4 units a day). Scary. I can't do this too often as I feel rotten the next day (old age setting in), but still manage to do it a couple of times a week. Certainly affects my riding (ie the hangover stops me from doing anything much at all).

Long gone are the days when I could (or wanted to) do that every night. Probably not a bad thing :-)
  • I used to drink at least 20 cans of beer a week i gave up in august this year now drink two bottles of wine a week insread and lost 4" from my waist so far ;-)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I'll have maybe 1 bottle of Leffe Blonde per week and maybe a bottle of wine once a month.

Me and booze don't mix well. I soak alcohol like a sponge and fall asleep at just the sniff of it.

I did try going Tee total but that only lasted about 6 months :roll:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I like a drink, not for the effect of the drug but because I like the taste of alcohol. Wine, lager, ales..all offer great pleasures but for me especially bourbon whiskey, thank god for the internet which makes buying less well known varieties fairly easy. I wouldn't say anything stupid like I couldn't live without it but I'd sure as hell miss it if it wasn't available.
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    I go through about 1 and a half bottle of whisky a year.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Vesterberg please do not kid yourself that the majority of replies to this type of thread are in any way honest. The whole thing reeks of individuals scouring their home drinks cabinet in order to pick the wine/beer/cider that reveals themselves in what they hope is their best and most enigmatic light, and not necessarily the brew they have been drinking to for ninety-nine percent of their time.

I'll have a 'alf.

Loving your work...
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Nuggs wrote:

I'll have a 'alf.

Loving your work...

Hate to interrupt the cosy flirting but I rather think you'll find that was my work.

Don't drink much myself, I think you kind of grow out of it. I did anyway.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    I can't afford it :D