Friday: What's the blinginest item you own

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    gtvlusso wrote:
    My humidor is quite crap in comparison - I feel less of a man. It is black.....

Also only has Monte Christo No 1, No2 and Cohiba Robustos in it.....simple pleasures.

They don't make mine any more, but go for your life, they are pretty cheap actually. Didn't get stung much on import duties either. Build quality is excellent; I probably top up the humidifier once a year, maybe longer.

http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2816
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'd mistaken this for a cycling thread :oops:

PROPER bling

6130563585_8462418de4.jpg

8) :D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    MRS, you probably already know. But, I REALLY like that.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Right so we are onto cars now, ok, well technically I do not think of this as blingy, or flash in anyway, for me that is something more of appearance than substance, such as an SLK, Boxster/Cayman, Audi TT etc etc All IMHO.
    I think of this as a nice little British sports car, that does what it says on the tin with little in the way of creature comforts.

But this is what my gf (Pigeon42) made me buy last spring after a trip to Hethel, and after wanting one since 2001, it was well worth the wait :D
    Actual pic:
    IMG_1276small.jpg
    Library pic:
    mwa_1114596727_lotus_elise_type_254.jpg

Additionally I am intrigued by the 'Senna' Ducati - did he have any involvement with it, or did he/his estate just agree to the use of his name?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'd mistaken this for a cycling thread :oops:

PROPER bling

6130563585_8462418de4.jpg

8) :D

I'm going to get myself an old Alfa one day. Definitely.
  • Daniel B wrote:

Additionally I am intrigued by the 'Senna' Ducati - did he have any involvement with it, or did he/his estate just agree to the use of his name?

Very off topic now, and be prepared to be bored with a little Ducati history.

The 916 was due to be released in early 1994 in the Biposto (2 seater) version. The Strada (single seat) was a few months away yet. It was rumoured that Ayrton Senna visited the Ducati factory, and immediately asked for a special version to be constructed for him, with carbon parts and upgraded suspension components. But we all know what happened on that unfortunate weekend on the 1st of May in Misano, before he could take delivery of his motorcycle.

The Senna Foundation, which helps under privileged children in Brazil, then commissioned a run of 300 "Senna"s , with proceeds from the sale going to the Foundation. The success of this limited edition prompted Ducati and the Senna Foundation to issue 2 more editions, in differing colours. The 1st edition was gunmetal, the second in champagne, the 3rd in charcoal black.

Mine happens to be silver because because the first owner was a Philistine who didn't like the "boring colour", in his words. I do have the original bodywork for it though. In 1997 the Ducati WSBK team was track testing locally, and I was given the opportunity to visit. After making friends with certain core team members, a used WSBK spec engine from the previous season was made available to me, along with the very intensive (and expensive) maintenance instructions.
  • Heehee! I like cars, though, if I see someone in a Stingray I'm inclined to compliment them on it, but not the same with bikes.

I wonder if it's the same with many of us girls - I do know lots who are into cars and none who are into motorbikes!

landsharkyh8.jpg

Currently gathering the funds to restore this. Will this do you?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lots of people confusing desirable, expensive, pretty, classy etc with bling. You know who you are. :lol:

There is nothing bling about Alfa GTAs, comics (or any literature unless maybe it is an original copy of the Magna Carta) and camp beds and a Ducati is bling because it's bling; not because it has a nerd engine :lol:

bling  /blɪŋ/ Show Spelled [bling] Show IPA Slang .
    noun
    1. expensive and flashy jewelry, clothing, or other possessions.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Rolf F wrote:
    Lots of people confusing desirable, expensive, pretty, classy etc with bling. You know who you are. :lol:

There is nothing bling about Alfa GTAs, comics (or any literature unless maybe it is an original copy of the Magna Carta) and camp beds and a Ducati is bling because it's bling; not because it has a nerd engine :lol:

noun

I have a gold chain about as heavy as a bag of sugar. That be bling in it's common sense.

However, consider the present clientel. The most common answer would be girlfriend's/wife's engagement ring.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2011
    Ok. Bling time.

IMG_6896-1.jpg

I think that fits Rolf F's definition. But it's kind of fun.

I like the Elise. I almost went for an Exige instead of the blingmobile.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Is that your front door?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok. Bling time.

IMG_6896.jpg

Duh - no carbon brakes = no bling.....

Although I am very jealous! It is lovely and I bet the soundtrack is immense.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Is that your front door?

Don't be silly.

Those are the servants' quarters.

gtvlusso wrote:

Brake recognition = über anorak. Excellent work.

Soundtrack is actually a bit agricultural when cold, and nothing that special when pottering around. Open it up though, and the banshees start screaming in your left ear...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Is that your front door?

Don't be silly.

Those are the servants' quarters.

gtvlusso wrote:

Brake recognition = über anorak. Excellent work.

Soundtrack is actually a bit agricultural when cold, and nothing that special when pottering around. Open it up though, and the banshees start screaming in your left ear...

Did you cut off your right ear? or is it only firing on 3 cyls?

It is very nice, but I think the guy who bought the carbon wheels and is overweight for them still wins - bling should be absolutely useless and pointless, your lovely Porsche is surely a winner with the laydees, therefore useful.......[/chauvenism]
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rolf F wrote:

noun

Rumbled :oops: :oops: :oops:

The Alfa is expensive and the lights flash (when they work - it IS an Alfa...) - does that count?

Actually, I was was probably right with the Mannaggia jacket - it probably is the Blingist thing I own - I don't normally do bling. My watch of choice is a plastic G-Shock. Even my house, which is very nice, is a Canadian Super-E - very environmental. As for jewelery, I don't even wear a wedding ring.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Did you cut off your right ear? or is it only firing on 3 cyls?

It is very nice, but I think the guy who bought the carbon wheels and is overweight for them still wins - bling should be absolutely useless and pointless, your lovely Porsche is surely a winner with the laydees, therefore useful.......[/chauvenism]

Nah, but the wind roar gets the right ear.

I agree that the buyer of the unusable deep carbon rims is the winner. I can only admire his superior skills!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rolf_f
    edited October 2011
    gtvlusso wrote:

I think you are on the right lines but Gregs Porsche fails not because of its usefulness but because it appears to be standard. It needs at least an inch larger wheels (not ones provided by Porsche) - and preferably chrome or gold chrome. Hence it would look flashier but at the same time perform less well than standard. Perfect!

As for the carbon wheels; that was a rookie error - low profile carbon is far too subtle for bling. Why buy what in reality is, for 90% of us, the functionally ideal wheel when you can buy a flashier deep section rim and get blown all over the place for the same money? And even 50mm wheels without stickers aren't really bling because we all know you got them from Carbonzone.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited October 2011
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok. Bling time.

IMG_6896-1.jpg

thats a 997 isnt it? Carerra 2?

ohh id love a thrash of the turbo flavoured one

id prefer it rear wheel drive though for some full on sideways action
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    My IWC watch.

Managed to get it half price through a friend of a friend who works for Richemont.

I've had it for a year and worn it about half a dozen times!! Go figure. :-/
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • mudcow007 wrote:

996 Turbo.

The air intakes are the big giveaway.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mudcow007
    Greg66 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

996 Turbo.

the 997 turbo had intakes didnt it??

http://www.dreamcarhire.com/cars/porsch ... white.html
  • Greg66 wrote:
    My transformation into a middle aged Mamil is finally complete, fear me!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

996 Turbo.

Yes, but they had a horizontal divider. The 996 intakes are wide open.

Greg66 wrote:
    My transformation into a middle aged Mamil is finally complete, fear me!

Silence, my masked simian friend!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mudcow007
    Greg66 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

996 Turbo.

Yes, but they had a horizontal divider. The 996 intakes are wide open.

now you see thats only a thing that a true Porsche anorak would know

I doth my cap to you......

lovely machines them, an the howl off them is awesome. there is a guy i work with who is a Porsche nerd (owners club an stuff) he has a mint 3.2 Boxster S but its nowt compared to a 911
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited October 2011
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok. Bling time.

I too switched from wanting an Elise to wanting an Exige, but after my GF hired me an Elise for my 30th i fell in love with open top motoring, and was converted from that point.
    *I know you can convert an S2 Exige to soft top openess should you desire, but I love the BRG with yellow stripes colour scheme too much :D

Always like real Porsches, not a fan of Cayennes or Panamera's though I have to say - always planned to get a nice 3.0 944 S2, but it never came to fruition.
    Always had a soft spot for the late 70's early 80's proper wide @rsed 911 turbo, now that is a serious bit of kit, and probably more than likely to put you backwards through a hedge forthwith!

928's are nice too, good luck with that restore chap on the last page, and thankyou for the Ducati explanation, very interesting, and had never come across that story at all, that is one rare motorcycle you have there, guess that will appreciate over time too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Bling? Pah! I`ve just got some red superstar grips for my new Cube LTD :D Ultimate blingness!!!! :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    True, the Alfa isn't bling. Far too tasteful. The Elise wouldn't be, but for the colour scheme. I like it, but it does make it a bit bling.
    I used to work for a large dealership the did Ferreri, Lambo, Maserati, Bentley, Rolls and Lotus.
    The Lotuses (Lotii?) were the only ones I'd call sports cars.
    There was a lot of bling in there. Lamborghini with chrome alloys and neon strip lights under it? Or the old fella that had his Bentley modified to fit huge wheels with spinners fitted. When asked why he said he could rent it to idiots for their music videos for extortionate sums. That place proved money didn't buy class.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok. Bling time.

IMG_6896-1.jpg

0. The Tories are back and Greg is determined to celebrate.

1. At the first X-mas party when I was talking to LiT about her (then) TVR and asked why she didn't consider a Porsche or Aston Martin you both simultaneously said in a hamonised symphony of middle class superiority "No" What changed your mine?

2. What happened to the Audi, t'was a year or two old?

3. Well done you!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

0. The Tories are back and Greg is determined to celebrate.

1. At the first X-mas party when I was talking to LiT about her (then) TVR and asked why she didn't consider a Porsche or Aston Martin you both simultaneously said in a hamonised symphony of middle class superiority "No" What changed your mine?

2. What happened to the Audi, t'was a year or two old?

3. Well done you!

0. <whistles innocently>

1. See the first four words of question 0.

2. Nothing. Just fancied a change.

3. Cheers! 8)

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rolf_f
    A mate of mine has just offered me his Elise at garage trade in price. A couple of years back I'd have snapped his hand off but I struggle to justify it now since the Saab is entertainingly silly enough and fits a bike in the back and I do few miles as it is.

Always hankered after the recent Europa as well.

Nothing else modern appeals to me!