Friday: What's the blinginest item you own

Comments

• My girlfriend. She's the only thing I cherish that isn't dog-eared, oil-stained, rusting, leaky, creased, torn or broken and isn't a kind of biscuit.
  • A Fluidesign.

It's rainbow tinted carbon. Even knowing what it is makes you cool.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    My hifi.

Valve CD player - Unison Research Unico CDE with upgraded DAC
    Amp - Leema Tucana 2
    Speakers - Kudos Cardea C2
    Cables - about a grand's worth of Nordost and Kimber
    2nd set of speakers in t'other room - ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures
    Bespoke oak rack - HiFi racks Podium
    BT mains conditioner
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My boots.

boots.jpg
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    my mitsubishi evo x

PA093663.jpg

and as for the little lady.....

230097_10150172161541606_729436605_7372373_3217994_n.jpg
  • Definitely the missus, people always tell me how she's waaaaaaay out of my league!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    my mission Wicked 1 inline skates.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... OPCYtXAJHy

might not look much, but I might sell them and use the money which will go a long way towards the Boardman I covet.[/img]
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Probably my canon 5D and the lenses I have
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    Williams f1 exhaust manifold?
  • CrackFox wrote:
    My girlfriend. She's the only thing I cherish that isn't dog-eared, oil-stained, rusting, leaky, creased, torn or broken and isn't a kind of biscuit.

I was really starting to worry that I was now completely bling free given that I no longer have a car, I sold my Omega watch, my bike's nothing to get excited about and an iMac on a bent glass desk is not really that big a deal and then I read the above...

My fiance is 27, hot, size 8 and her bra size is 30E (she's actually an amazing person too, but we are talking the shallowness of bling here). I'm 41 and nothing to write home about. :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No bling here really. My Look 585 is extravagent but less blingy than the Gran Fondo. And my Omega Constellation (same year as me!) is also too understated to count as bling.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Er these GFs that you seem to think you OWN how do they feel about that? :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Er these GFs that you seem to think you OWN how do they feel about that? :twisted:

They love it, the dirty, little... :twisted:
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    edited October 2011
    itboffin wrote:

Yes, I know. But given the origins of the word 'bling', boasting about owning a '50% stake in a loving relationship' just lacks a certain phallic resonance. Anyway, I've just remembered that my mandolin has shiny gold tuners that Poopdaddysnuffdog himself would be proud of, so g/f has been relegated.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    A colleague of mine (who doesn't cycle) owns an original London Route Master bus. That is surely considered pretty cool (I know this is probably a moot point on a cycling forum).

I view 'bling' as something you don't necessarily need and is completely over the top, kind of like a guilty pleasure. What I'm getting at is nobody 'needs' a Ferrari when a Ford Focus is essentially the same thing, but why not have one if you can?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • rolf_f
    Mouth wrote:
    What I'm getting at is nobody 'needs' a Ferrari when a Ford Focus is essentially the same thing, but why not have one if you can?

Because it's almost impossible not to look a bit of a tool when you are driving one?! :lol:

I think the only time you don't look a complete gloit if you are driving a Ferrari is if you happen to be on a Riviera coast road with a high maintenance blonde in the passenger seat.
  • joelsim
    Yes, the Margate Bypass with Kerry Katona. Then you wouldn't look a tool at all.

Ferrari and Rolex +1.
  • A friend of the family has a full sized steam railway in his garden, with a few trains and several carriages. We went on it on his birthday.

In the world of unnecessary stuff, that's pretty up there!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    A friend of the family has a full sized steam railway in his garden, with a few trains and several carriages. We went on it on his birthday.

You have posh friends. Was this 'garden' actually Kent?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    dhope wrote:
    A friend of the family has a full sized steam railway in his garden, with a few trains and several carriages. We went on it on his birthday.

Probably the Kent and East Sussex Railway :lol:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Probably the Kent and East Sussex Railway :lol:

Hahaha no, it wasn't kent :)

And yeah, while not a representative sample of our friends, he's pretty damn posh.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited October 2011
    If we are talking about friends bling then how about Mrs A's Godfather who has the acoutrements required of a hereditary peer. Now that's proper bling.

The CX thread has just reminded me of my bling thing; my humidor. 150 cigar capacity rosewood burl. Currently contains about 25 Partigas Series 4, 20 Ramon Allones Specially Selected and 40 Hoyo de Monteray Petit Robustos.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • A Ducati 916 Senna Series 1 with a Corse engine ... ummm ... "liberated" from the works team. It was a Foggy engine, tuned to this side of destruction.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    My stunning new camp bed (on which I had a great nights sleep last night on field assessment) and my Jetboil Flash, neither bike related, but so what.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    A Ducati 916 Senna Series 1 with a Corse engine ... ummm ... "liberated" from the works team. It was a Foggy engine, tuned to this side of destruction.

Nice.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Mah custom mo'sickle with the chromed tank. (heavily breathed upon shortened 750 Zephyr with personalised plate, custom LCD dash, dead straight bars, spotlights and fat rubber).

Apart from that all the nice things I own are pretty understated really - OK, perhaps the fixeh is a little um, loud (rather like the 'sickle really :D )
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • joelsim
    Asprilla wrote:
    If we are talking about friends bling then how about Mrs A's Godfather who has the acoutrements required of a hereditary peer. Now that's proper bling.

The CX thread has just reminded me of my bling thing; my humidor. 150 cigar capacity rosewood burl. Currently contains about 25 Partigas Series 4, 20 Ramon Allones Specially Selected and 40 Hoyo de Monteray Petit Robustos.

Where's my invitation? I'll bring a good bottle of port.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Joelsim wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Where's my invitation? I'll bring a good bottle of port.

If the address was anything like my spelling of Partagas or Monterray then it probably got lost in the post. However, a nice 30yo tawney and you are on.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Agent57 wrote:
    A Ducati 916 Senna Series 1 with a Corse engine ... ummm ... "liberated" from the works team. It was a Foggy engine, tuned to this side of destruction.

Nice.

Aie. For real.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • joelsim
    Can you also send some detailed directions to Planet Dust too. And can we share the girl?