Anyone doing the Blackfriars LCC ride on the 12th?

2»

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    iPete wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I cannot understand

You should have stopped there.

The GLA have voted against, the mayor also (apparently), there was political support at the front of the ride from all major political parties. So please do enlighten us on how you would go about making the point to these targeted people, oh wait, that's already been done. :roll:

Why are the English so bad at making their voices heard?

Going from the last protest it was about 50/50 (a) and (b) but your never going to win over many white van men or taxi drivers. All the pedestrians I spoke to last night were very positive about it.

Whats your stance on flash rides without a cause, the friday night roller bladers or CM, must foam at the mouth :wink:

Flash rides are even worse than the mob last night. But do you think anyone distinguishes between the "protest" last night and CM? Of course not, they see a bunch of cyclists taking over the place and causing a nuisance and they conclude that cyclists are arrogant, inconsiderate, selfish idiots who don't seserve anything. How is that a good thing? As for the gleeful exclamations on here as to how much congestion and chaos was caused - pathetic.

By all means protest at the GLA and seek to overturn their decision using positive and pro-active means. But last night's action was, as I said, 100% counterproductive and idiotic. I note that you fail to argue what positive impact it brought apart from (negative) attention.

You know when youre onto a losing plan of action when even cyclists, such as myself, don't support the way that this issue is being handled because in my view all it does is add fuel to the fire against cyclists being considered positively. How the LCC think that is a good thing is beyond me, hence why I won't continue to support them.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    spursn17 wrote:
    Loads of bikes there tonight.

I was a bit dissappointed that we only went over and back once though.

Moi aussi.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    W1 this is pointless, you don't actually know what has happened, the GLA vote backed cyclists and pedestrians following the last two flashrides (100% counter productive, erm). The issue now lies with TFL and Boris, guess what? The protest was at TFL HQ.

Like I said, the people on the ground [not attending] I spoke to were very positive about it, did you not read that? I'm not going to bother arguing about why this was a positive event, if you're that bothered about London being a nice place to live, walk, cycle, commute etc. go and read for yourself.

Otherwise, please continue to sticking in the gutter, unheard. I used to be the same.

I sense a pedant argument coming and for that reason, I'm out.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    It was positive action with complete political support, was notified well in advance and was properly marshalled including police. Furthermore it was only taking place because every other means of reviewing this decision by TFL has been ignored. When you have the entire london assembly voting for the rethink and this is still ignored then I think the protest was justified. If it prevents more people being killed by poorly thought out cycling 'infrastructure' then it's worth a bit of disruption IMHO. 6 Cyclists have been killed in london already this year, there's more bikes than cars using that bridge in peak hours and they want to redesign it to speed motor traffic flow? It's central london for crying out loud, if you expect to drive quickly through it then you're already screwed. And yes I have a car as well, but i don't expect to commute across london in it.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    iPete wrote:
    W1 this is pointless, you don't actually know what has happened, the GLA vote backed cyclists and pedestrians following the last two flashrides (100% counter productive, erm). The issue now lies with TFL and Boris, guess what? The protest was at TFL HQ.

Like I said, the people on the ground [not attending] I spoke to were very positive about it, did you not read that? I'm not going to bother arguing about why this was a positive event, if you're that bothered about London being a nice place to live, walk, cycle, commute etc. go and read for yourself.

Otherwise, please continue to sticking in the gutter, unheard. I used to be the same.

You're confusing my disagreement with how to protest with what you appear to assume is disagreement with the reason for the protest.

I support the consideration of cyclists' safety, but not by the direct means which I saw last night which, as I said, are counterproductive. No-one held up in that deliberate chaos last night - about which you and others appear so gleeful - would have thought anything positive of either this particular cause, or cyclists in general. That is not a good thing and should not be supported by the LCC.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    W1 wrote:
    iPete wrote:

You're confusing my disagreement with how to protest with what you appear to assume is disagreement with the reason for the protest.

I support the consideration of cyclists' safety, but not by the direct means which I saw last night which, as I said, are counterproductive. No-one held up in that deliberate chaos last night - about which you and others appear so gleeful - would have thought anything positive of either this particular cause, or cyclists in general. That is not a good thing and should not be supported by the LCC.

Really? A couple of motorcyclists I talked to were supportive and the third I chatted to was grumpy at first and then phlegmatic when I explained the purpose of the event.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Dear W1, how else would you suggest we get TFL to listen? They've ignored everything else that has been tried. The Flashrides were a last ditch attempt...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I have no clue why W1 is bashing this action... As others in this thread have explained the protest was perfectly justified. There was support from the GLA, and it was properly marshalled by the police. The hold up lasted about 20 mins, and the point was made.

W1 is a lost cause...