Anyone doing the Blackfriars LCC ride on the 12th?

georgee
georgee Posts: 537
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
If work allows I may head along

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm popping along.
  • New job finishes at 17:30 so I plan on attending.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'll get out early to attend
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I'm definitely there. I've explained my thinking here http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/201 ... ndons.html

I think if you believe cycling ought be something normal people can do and that cramming London with yet more cars and faster cars isn't a long term plan, do pitch up. I think I'll even cycle in my suit, just to make the point....
  • notsoblue
    EC2boy wrote:
    I'm definitely there. I've explained my thinking here http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/201 ... ndons.html

I think if you believe cycling ought be something normal people can do and that cramming London with yet more cars and faster cars isn't a long term plan, do pitch up. I think I'll even cycle in my suit, just to make the point....

Well put.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Damn, I'll be in Yorkshire!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'll be there, have been spreading the message around my office and a few people are going to come along. Hopefully be thousands this time.
  • georgee
    Bump...

I have seen articles about this on Road.cc but not bike radar, you'd have thought all cycling press would have taken note.
  • EC2boy
    EC2boy Posts: 37
    I don't know why the folks at bikeradar aren't picking up on this. There's an excellent piece here http://ibikelondon.blogspot.com/2011/10 ... riars.html

I've pasted a bit below. The Blackfriars demo next week is about raising cycling issues across all of London. Boris Johnson keeps banging on about 'putting the village back in London'. Feels to me like he's letting TfL get away with doing the exact opposite.

I'll be there. I hope hundreds of other people will too....

What happens at Blackfriars is important to London, and to all Londoners. It is the pursuit here of "smoothing the traffic flow" by TfL which is bringing about these terrible changes. It is the pursuit of the same agenda elsewhere in London which proposes running the new cycle superhighway down the middle of two lanes of fast moving traffic on Vauxhall Bridge, to rip out cycle lanes at London Bridge, it is why the good people of Elephant and Castle are being denied escalators and a new pedestrian plaza outside their train station, why a cyclist-killing junction in Camden hasn't been re-designed, it's why Oxford Street, and Parliament Square, aren't the pedestrian paradises they should be, it's why cycle "superhighways" disappear beneath parked cars, and why children don't dare cross the road at Henly Corner for fear of being mown down by lanes and lanes of traffic.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Some (rare) good use of helmet cam here - look at the current state of Blackfriars, absolute joke. Someone's bound to get hurt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaz1CmoLFkg
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I'll be there.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • notsoblue
    Some (rare) good use of helmet cam here - look at the current state of Blackfriars, absolute joke. Someone's bound to get hurt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaz1CmoLFkg

Its pretty ridiculous. I know it'll get better once the work to the left has finished, but not by much. Its shocking how they're getting away with this design.
  • EC2boy
    EC2boy Posts: 37
    Blackfriars - London Cycling Campaign released whole series of images and videos of what the bridge could look like http://lcc.org.uk/articles/london-cycli ... nd-walking

I've commented here http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/201 ... l#comments

One day....
  • iPete
    I'll be coming down with 5-6 colleagues now.
  • iPete
    Bump! I'm sure the re-design was on the bikerader homepage yesterday?!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Will try to get along, may arrive a bit early depending on what time I leave the office as working over in Docklands so should be a fun ride over :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Koncordski
    Will try to get along, may arrive a bit early depending on what time I leave the office as working over in Docklands so should be a fun ride over :-)

Fancy a mini convoy (2 bikes count?) from docklands mate? Meet at westferry circus top deck at 5:20 ish?

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • I am hoping I can be there if I can get away from work in time. It shouldn't take me long to get there- am only coming from Temple.
  • have a good ride today all. wont be able to make it unfortunately.... :(
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Koncordski wrote:

Fancy a mini convoy (2 bikes count?) from docklands mate? Meet at westferry circus top deck at 5:20 ish?

As appealing as that sounds I'm affraid I won't be able to attend. Shame as it was a really good little protest ride last time and I have a feeling this one is going to be even bigger. Now we just have to hope that blonde haired muppet and his band of croonies at TFL don't ignore us again!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Koncordski
    Not sure what the turnout was but it was mahoosive! 8)

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Ended up going in the end after a call just before I left work!
    Excellent turnout :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    Loads of bikes there tonight.

I was a bit dissappointed that we only went over and back once though.
  • iPete
    Gave Notsoblue a nod whilst I cued with my work mates, was blown away by the numbers. As we all crossed the bridge I was asked where everybody was and I got really worried till we went around the corner!

p.s. wish I had a bell or comedy horn :lol:

6239024488_be886beb77.jpg

6239089358_85fa06fbb3.jpg

6238503741_de945a359f.jpg

6238503987_ee03f65627.jpg

6238503447_b6a7db1256.jpg
  • georgee
    Lots of people out which was good and a great atmosphere, it really did jam traffic up. We joined as it headed back south and then that was it!.

Why on earth we couldn't just kept looping to block things completely is beyond me. Maybe it's the more militant side of me talking but a bit of a missed chance to really block things up and make a point.

On the way down we passed a load of motorcyclist out on a protest and it just made us look like another regular minor protest.
  • iPete
    I'd like to see a protest roll over Blackfriars and onto other various bad spots for people, places like Parliament square, Trafalgar square, Rice Crispy square etc.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    georgee wrote:
    Lots of people out which was good and a great atmosphere, it really did jam traffic up. We joined as it headed back south and then that was it!.

Why on earth we couldn't just kept looping to block things completely is beyond me. Maybe it's the more militant side of me talking but a bit of a missed chance to really block things up and make a point.

I cannot understand the mentality of "protests" which cause massive congestion and inconvenience to ordinary people. It does nothing positive for the cause.

Do you think people saw the "protest" last night and thought (a) well done cyclists, I fully support your views, the plans for Blackfriars is dangerous or (b) what a bunch of arrogant, selfish n*bs, screw them.

The people making the decisions need to be targetted. Creating negative feeling amongst people going about their daily business is utterly, 100% counterproductive.

The only "point" made last night, as I was stuck in traffic (on my bike), was to cause vast numbers of people to think (b).

Utterly shameful, and not in my name. Sorry LCC, I'm out.
  • iPete
    W1 wrote:
    I cannot understand

You should have stopped there.

The GLA have voted against, the mayor also (apparently), there was political support at the front of the ride from all major political parties. So please do enlighten us on how you would go about making the point to these targeted people, oh wait, that's already been done. :roll:

Why are the English so bad at making their voices heard?

Going from the last protest it was about 50/50 (a) and (b) but your never going to win over many white van men or taxi drivers. All the pedestrians I spoke to last night were very positive about it.

Whats your stance on flash rides without a cause, the friday night roller bladers or CM, must foam at the mouth :wink: