• woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Salt Tank - ST7 Science & Nature
    2 Olympic 638
    3 Eugina (Pacific Diva)
    4 Taj
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Any consecutive three from my previously mentioned favourite album 'I'm not pretentious' by the desperate to be cool five.

for example

1 totally obscure, possibly German (great track that)
    2 No one's ever heard of this (or want's to).
    3 I am gonad achingly cool, aren't I? (recorded live in a pub in Camden, the gig was so exclusive only I was there etc etc etc.)

Threads like this are so funny/tragic it's brilliant.
  • Id like to think most people have heard of U2..

But do tend to agree with the above..
  • jim453 wrote:
    Any consecutive three from my previously mentioned favourite album 'I'm not pretentious' by the desperate to be cool five.

for example

3 I am gonad achingly cool, aren't I? (recorded live in a pub in Camden, the gig was so exclusive only I was there etc etc etc.)

:lol: mate, there's not much here that is obscure/pretentious. Bowie, Ozzy, Metallica, Belle and Sebastian, Leftfield, The Clash, U2, The Pixies, Julian Cope, Tracy Chapman etc. Hardly white label releases. If you've never heard of them you've never listened to that pretentious fortress of rare grooves, Radio 2.
  • jim453 wrote:

for example

that's tragic
  • woodnut
    jim453 wrote:

for example

:roll:
    Of course the very coolest people read threads that don't interest them, pop out from under their bridge in Fairyland and then have a bit of a sneer. I wish I was so cool.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    jim453 wrote:

for example

Have you been living in a cave for the last 30 years?
  • jim453
    No, I haven't.

To be honest, I hardly even read the replies because I already knew the type of garbage people would be desperately trying to post. As it happens, on this thread there are fewer laughable posts than usual.

But please do not kid yourself that the majority of replies to this type of thread are in any way honest. The whole thing reeks of individuals scouring their home media device/google in order to pick the music/artist/track that reveals themselves in what they hope is their best and most enigmatic light, and not necessarily the music they have been listening to for ninety-nine percent of their time.

I'm quite sure individuals (the usual suspects) will now indignantly argue that they are, in fact being honest about their tastes and that they never ever sing along to coldplay in the car.

But they would wouldn't they.
  • jim453 wrote:
    No, I haven't.

To be honest, I hardly even read the replies because I already knew the type of garbage people would be desperately trying to post. As it happens, on this thread there are fewer laughable posts than usual.

But please do not kid yourself that the majority of replies to this type of thread are in any way honest. The whole thing reeks of individuals scouring their home media device/google in order to pick the music/artist/track that reveals themselves in what they hope is their best and most enigmatic light, and not necessarily the music they have been listening to for ninety-nine percent of their time.

I'm quite sure individuals (the usual suspects) will now indignantly argue that they are, in fact being honest about their tastes and that they never ever sing along to coldplay in the car.

Enough cynicism to pickle a jar of onions here. Don't be so hasty to call 'pseud' - we all like to think we're the pretentious police - but go too far around the circle and you get to your current position, where you're not even allowed to pick 3 greats songs in a row. The fact that no-one has picked Coldplay is to be celebrated. Stop trying so hard to be controversial.
  • jim453 wrote:
    No, I haven't.

Lol, I'm desperate to present myself as a Tracy Chapman fan to as many people as possible on the internet. Makes me look... hell, I dunno, how does being a Tracy Chapman fan make me look!? :roll:

I sing along to Coldplay. Purveyers of fine melodies even if they are overplayed and lightweight.

Here you go fella, 3 in a row from the kings of 'Dad Rock'.

3 - God Put a Smile Upon Your Face
    4 - The Scientist
    5 - Clocks
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    I don't get the negativity surrounding this thread at all.

Because of it I have discovered two new great bands, U2 and Coldplay. I am desperately searching through the vinyl in a couple of local record shops to see if they have any more of these artists' works. Why have I not heard of them before?!
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • GMB wrote:

Because of it I have discovered two new great bands, U2 and Coldplay. I am desperately searching through the vinyl in a couple of local record shops to see if they have any more of these artists' works. Why have I not heard of them before?!

Lol, yeh check out their early stuff, man! U2 did a secret gig called Live Aid in 1995. Not many people were there.
  • jim453 wrote:
    No, I haven't.

I think its more about people who got into music before cycling.

I've never heard any oz osbourne or metallica but I've got every wedding present/cinerama lp, every clash lp every pixies lp, every belle and sebastian lp, 1 salt tank lp and FWIW I class them as mainstream (compared to the bands i tend to like), and i'm surprised you've not heard of them. Also I know there are a few music geeks on here who probably own the same. So don't knacker an interesting thread cos you're a musicless tit.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • woodnut
    GMB wrote:

Lol, yeh check out their early stuff, man! U2 did a secret gig called Live Aid in 1995. Not many people were there.

Was it above a pub, in Camden?
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Unpretentious:
    Prodigy - Music for a Jilted Generation
    Poison, No Good (Start the dance), One Love

Pretentious
    Helium - the DIrt Of Luck
    Pat's Trick, Trixie's Star, Silver Angel

Happy now?
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • jim453
    Keep enjoying the music fellas.

Cynical or not, I still stand by what I said.

Whatever.

Still reeling from Westerberg accusing me of trying to be deliberately controversial.
  • woodnut
    The more I think about this, the more difficult it is....
    There's lots of Best of albums where I could find 3 in a row, & lots of mix albums but I suppose they could be classed as cheating?

You so often get 2 great tracks then one merely good one.

However, howsabout..

Starlight, Supermassive Black Hole, Map of the Problematique..Muse - Black holes & revelations (surely very mainstream :wink: )
    and
    Frank Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti for,
    1. I Have Been in You
    2. Flakes
    3. Broken Hearts Are for Assholes
    or...
    14. City of Tiny Lites
    15. Dancin' Fool
    16. Jewish Princess :P
  • woodnut wrote:
    Was it above a pub, in Camden?

You were there too? I was the guy in the long black coat and the wild hair. Great days especially as there were only 5 of us there! :lol:
    woodnut wrote:
    The more I think about this, the more difficult it is....
    There's lots of Best of albums where I could find 3 in a row, & lots of mix albums but I suppose they could be classed as cheating?

Yeh it is difficult I think. I know there's lots of albums where every tune really is a winner but it's still fun to pick out a great trio from it. When I was listening to that Tracy Chapman album the thought struck me how its pretty special when you hit on three such good songs. Each as good as the last. The funny thing about that example is how they're towards the end of the album too. I'd say most great runs are usually going to be in the first 6 tunes? Definately a quality album where the last few tracks are gems. Yeh, mixes or compilations are cheating really.

Dylan nearly makes it here but track 8 isn't quite the same standard as the last 2 tracks.

8 - If You See Her Say Hello
    9 - Shelter From the Storm
    10 - Buckets of Rain

Apetite for Destruction is start to finish a great album but I'd go for the first 3...

1 Welcome to the Jungle
    2 Its so Easy
    3 Nightrain
  • woodnut
    I'd say most great runs are usually going to be in the first 6 tunes? definitely a quality album where the last few tracks are gems.

Yep that's definitely true, I'm struggling to find any with three stand out tracks towards the end....ain't given up yet though :D

Edit...what about live albums, is that cheating?
  • Guess live albums are ok. As long as the performances are good and not just the track they're playing!
  • jim453 wrote:
    Keep enjoying the music fellas.

Cynical or not, I still stand by what I said.

Whatever.

Still reeling from Westerberg accusing me of trying to be deliberately controversial.

you're not cynical or controversial

just daft

why not redeem yourself and post your three songs ?
  • woodnut
    Guess live albums are ok. As long as the performances are good and not just the track they're playing!

In that case...Jethro Tull, from Live (Bursting out)
    Aqualung
    Locomotive Breath
    The Dambusters March (medley)

The perfomance is awesome!....exuberant is the best word I can think off, they were still young men then you see!

• Yeh it is difficult I think. I know there's lots of albums where every tune really is a winner but it's still fun to pick out a great trio from it.

off the top of my head the lp's I can think off that are faultless (ie ave more than 3 great songs together) are

Rattus - the stranglers
    clash 1st lp
    bizarro (as mentioned) - the weddoes
    seamonsters- the weddoes
    torino - cinerama
    boy with the arab strap - B&S
    casiotone for the painfully alone - Vs Children.

It's still a challenge though thinking of 3 songs in a row. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • boy with the arab strap - B&S

Love that album. Definately in my top 20... which is a different question entirely! :?
  • Thought 'Weddoes' was some obscure band I'd not heard of! Know the name 'the wedding present' but just looked them up on youtube and don't think I ever actually heard their stuff. Definitive album?