Epping new road, main route resurfacing JOKE......

triniriderz
triniriderz Posts: 5
Bit of a weird one this and not sure what section to put it under but here goes......

Im sure this will affect a few of you, esp if you head over to epping on the well versed routes that run in and around the area... The main route running through the forest is the A104 or better known as the epping new road.. This has been my training and Sunday ride route for well over 10 years as it has been for scores of riders.. Well over the last few weeks resurfacing work has been going on and if im honest I thought awesome a nice new surface to replace the crumbling old one that had been dug up and patched over since turpin was riding this road.....

Well just come through there this evening and I have no idea what the fcuk they have used but it looks like rather than using tarmac they have laid down a surface of small stones that has been compressed.. I thought like many that it was going to be a "mid layer" before the main surface was laid but after chatting with a contractor at the side of the road it seems this is the surface that will stay :? :? :? White lining was also being done so seems true.... Worst still many of the routes running off the main road have also been done , what the hell are they thinking?? this surface is about as horrible to ride on as you can get think need cyclocross bike... Are they trying to stop people riding up there or something?????

Anyone else have any input???

Comments

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    This has also been my main route out of London for training for many years (there aren't any alternatives actually). I rode up it last Friday and noticed there's a raised ridge of tar that runs along about 2 feet from the edge, which goes on for long stretches. Presumably that's where two layers have overlapped, or the machine was leaking!

In any case, it's exactly where you want to be riding. In fact it's where the old cat-eyes were (bloody PITA they were, too). Otherwise I thought the surface was slightly improved overall, but the old chip 'n tar method sure ain't bike friendly.

a serious case of small cogs
  • yep noticed that... Also the cycle lane is marked out now and the ridge is dangerous as hell!!! I cannot believe they have resurfaced a known cycle route like this!!!!! Worst bit all the other routes leading off think "high beech to sewardstone road" and a section to abridge are the same :cry:

What the hell where they thinking????
  • My only thought was that maybe it's a cheaper option? That section of road has been horrible for ages tbh, if you want a change of route out, you could try the (north-east) corner of this training commuteI do sometimes - hopefully that displays properly, wasn't coming up on my work pc!

Oh, btw, isn't that ridge you refer to where the white marks used to be for the cycle lane?
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It's pretty common these days unfortunately. Makes a road look good and its fine for cars, but for cyclists it hides all the bumps in the road and makes for a really slow and uncomfortable surface. The good news is that after a year or two it'll be quite smooth again.
    More problems but still living....
  • They resurface all the roads around here like that. It usually settles down after a few days if it's a busy road. It doesn't make the road any nicer to ride on though, just hides the potholes rather than fixing them.
  • It's everywhere - from Toot Hill to Cuffley!!! Grrrr!
    Still breathing.....
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    If they've put down chippings and actually compressed them then that's better than usual round here, it's the norm to leave them inches deep in loose stuff - a few corners on one they did last year are still vicious gravel traps over a year on.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    thanks for this thread-have to go on a different route for a while.
    toot hlll mentioned-has that been ballsed up wth this gravel surface aswell?
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,847
    I think its an improvement in some places...the gutter between robin hood roundabout and the garage used to be terrible

the ridge is not that bad
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,847
    dave35 wrote:

nah its still fine...the big roller is still super smooth and the berwick lane mega potholes have been filled (finally)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I think its an improvement in some places...the gutter between robin hood roundabout and the garage used to be terrible

I agree, but it's still bad enough that I avoid riding in it - even though it puts me in the traffic.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Cycled it again this evening, total sh1t, could be the slowest surface ive ever ridden and yes I do ride Epping off road in the winter lol!!!!

So now need to plan a new training route.....