Heatwave

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Wow - temps back into the 20's again for the rest of this week - great news
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    :D

Or should that be 8)
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just in time for my Wednesday and Friday social rides 8)

Happy that I'll probably make it into October before putting the good bike away for winter.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I just want it to last until Saturday night as I'm on a bike ride that day.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Even in the 20s in the frozen wastelands of the north. Blimey. It's good isn't it. Glorious ride home tonight. Slow as every man, woman, child and their dogs were out. But glorious.
  • Me too - 40mile MTB around the New Forest 8) - where's KB and his geography student now ?
  • Midges out in swarms though close ya mouth time :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Too sticky for my tastes, but did enjoy the noticeable drop in temperature as I rode over Mitcham Common - very refreshing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Warm yes, windy oh hell yes 27mph this morning :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • If the predictions of ice and snow by the end of October are true then we could be looking at a 30C plus temperature swing. Three seasons in one month.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If the predictions of ice and snow by the end of October are true then we could be looking at a 30C plus temperature swing. Three seasons in one month.

But whose predictions are those? The vaguely useful Met Office ones or the pointless, quack forecasters that the poorer quality papers like quoting so much?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    27mph? You really are in Windshire- was it straight off the Plain?
    Still and misty in neighbouring Somerset; the main concern being low sun and unlit oncoming vehicles when you've a vehicle behind you, itching to overtake.
  • It was a bit chilly this morning first thing, but as the sun started to rise there was a noticable rise in temperature.

Really looking forward to riding home with sun on my skin.....although I didn't bring any dark lenses for my shades....balls!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    There was defo a slight sse headwind this morning but nothing like 27mph, it was chilly tho and v foggy still, hopefully it'll be the same tomorrow so I can take some snaps
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I'm really hoping my helmet cam caught the dawn this morning - that was just bloody marvellous - there were light wisps of cloud on the horizon that were lighting up all the colours of the rainbow as the Sun came up. It was like little tongues of fire rising up from the ground in front of me. Nature can really put on a beautiful show when she wants....

Setting off in the pitch black and getting to work in the blazing sunshine - God that made the 5am wake up worth it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notlongnow wrote:
    Midges out in swarms though close ya mouth time :wink:

God no - think of all that protein! :wink:

It's the big baggers you hear thwacking off your lid that worry me!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    itboffin wrote:
    There was defo a slight sse headwind this morning but nothing like 27mph, it was chilly tho and v foggy still, hopefully it'll be the same tomorrow so I can take some snaps

Ah; I had interpreted your post as a 27mph head wind rather than your speed over the ground.
    Looking forward to another ride home in the high twenties - Celsius rather than MpH.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just in time for going on holiday...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    notlongnow wrote:
    Midges out in swarms though close ya mouth time :wink:

God no - think of all that protein! :wink:

It's the big baggers you hear thwacking off your lid that worry me!

Have you factored these into your weight loss programme? This could be the unaccounted for factor that is screwing things up.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    it was bleeding freezing here this morning...i think its whats known as "brisk"

i was sweating like a snake caught in a wagon rut last night though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    . Nature can really put on a beautiful show when she wants....
    I wasn't up as early as you, but as you say, it was a beautiful morning. A light haze on the roads, the sun coming up through banks of mist across the fields. In places the mist was about 6 foot above the ground, perfectly clear underneath, like London air at head height :wink: And then the temperature changes, from dry, crisp, cool air I'd round a corner, come out into sunshine and mist and all of a sudden it was 10 degrees warmer and humid.

Gorgeous :D
    MTB/CX

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I'm hoping the weather stays good for this weekend, it may actually mean I won't get stageone hypothermia on this field weekend like the last one I went on :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Me too - 40mile MTB around the New Forest 8) - where's KB and his geography student now ?

Hey Jay, Im doing this too - akthough im only doing the 25 miles as I'm doing the 100 mile sportive on the Sunday too!
    '96 Kona U'hu
    '11 Specialized Camber Expert
    '11 Boardman Road Race
  • Woohoo - up to 22C and the Wunderground page no longer lists "Windchill" but "Heat Index" - which is at a stonking 25C! (sorry - it probably counts as one of the hottest days of the year up here! OK 27.4 was but you see my point)
  • Did anyone else go through any what I'm calling 'heat bubbles' this morning ? I went through a few where the temperature suddenly shot up for a about 100 feet and then dropped down again. At one point I went through one where it was misty and it was like cycling in the sub-tropical dome at centre parcs.
    I'm guessing that this week is what we used to call summer.
  • bails87
    Twostage wrote:
    Did anyone else go through any what I'm calling 'heat bubbles' this morning ? I went through a few where the temperature suddenly shot up for a about 100 feet and then dropped down again. At one point I went through one where it was misty and it was like cycling in the sub-tropical dome at centre parcs.
    I'm guessing that this week is what we used to call summer.
    bails87 wrote:
    And then the temperature changes, from dry, crisp, cool air I'd round a corner, come out into sunshine and mist and all of a sudden it was 10 degrees warmer and humid.

Yep. :lol: Strange wasn't it.
    MTB/CX

• Nearly 25C - just talking with colleagues to say that days like this should be holidays. Looking forward to the ride home - just wishing I was wearing my road lid.
  • 5tu-pid wrote:
    Me too - 40mile MTB around the New Forest 8) - where's KB and his geography student now ?

Hey Jay, Im doing this too - akthough im only doing the 25 miles as I'm doing the 100 mile sportive on the Sunday too!

Cool - watch out for the blue Charge Duster :)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited September 2011
    hot hot hot hot here

im pencilled in to do a 30 mile ride home (normally its only 6 miles)

but i dont have a bottle cage or my drink bottle :shock:

if im not on-line tomorrow i will be probably shrivelled up like a prune at the side of the road somewhere
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • cornetto duly dispatched to my belleh
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    My BMR is far too high to cope with hot weather. If I try to go out on the bike today, I'll collapse after about 30 metres and require a saline drip to rehydrate.

I'm one of those people you see in shorts and a tshirt while it's snowing, grinning like an idiot.