Garmin workouts

fish156
fish156 Posts: 496
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
I'd not used the "workouts" on my Garmin Edge 500 before today, but I'm very impressed so I thought I'd share.

I had planned to do a session on the road early this morning before work, but it was a real pea-souper, so I jumped on the rollers for the first time in ages.

Very easy to set up, I created a 1min on, 1min off workout.

Once riding, before each interval start/end the Garmin gives a set of 5 second countdown beeps, then the screen backlight comes on showing the interval name & target. Effectively it's automatically pressing the "lap" button so you can concentrate on riding those lovely short intervals.
I set the display to show
    Power (lap) - which now displays the average (target) power over the interval Heart Rate, and Interval time.

This morning's pyramid session:
    16idrg7.jpg

Now I've discovered how useful & easy it is to set up the "workouts", I intend using them a lot more. You can name each interval, so the Garmin tells you your goal for the interval e.g. 1min 300W, 20s Easy, etc. (I find it's easy to lose track of what the next interval is once you're grovelling.) I've yet to start using the target facility, where you can set a target power, for example.

Comments

• I've done the same on my forerunner 305. I've put in quite a few of the training plans from the Time Crunched cyclist, also put in a few runs from the Time Crunched Tri athlete.

As I do quite a lot of training on my own it really does help, especially when you are getting tired and thinking "Oh Arse I can't be bothered" then those little beeps and the display telling you to get your heart rate up to a mental level for the next 2 minutes!

I also love loading the date into Sporttracks and pretending I know what i'm looking at and what to do to improve it!