Did anyones carbon frame not break today?

Comments

• Keith1983 wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    I had a quick look at my carbon-framed bike this lunchtime and I can confirm that it's still intact, despite being exposed to air ALL DAY.

I shrink wrapped mine. I was too scared not to.

I used a natural nitrogen environment within the shrink wrap and included a desiccant to ensure no moisture was available to melt the CF.

The dessicant is bound to have a chemical reaction with the frame and render it inherently unsafe! You're doomed!

FFFFFFFFFFEEEEEECCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK.....

(sound of running feet)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • my didn't
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Keith1983 wrote:
    The dessicant is bound to have a chemical reaction with the frame and render it inherently unsafe! You're doomed!

Forget the dessicant - surely you know carbon can't come into contact with most varieties of polythene etc. It will have bonded to the frame by now.

On a disappointing note, my Ribble survived 26 miles of hot September in Yorkshire today. I'm beginning to think it isn't carbon at all :shock:

Another warning - from Commuting General
    For commuters, the main dissadvantage is vulnerability to damage from the chain. Sooner or later, your chain will come off and jam between the cogs and chainstay. On steel bikes this is a trivial annoyance. On Alu bikes this may cause some gauging but is not datal. on carbon bikes, it is an expensive repair or a write off.

And don't think a dog fang or like will help as chains will always find a way to escape.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Nietzsche would ride carbon.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I've never broken a carbon bike, I've also never owned a carbon bike.
    There was a bike on Ebay listed for spares that had had a major front ender. The carbon forks looked alright in the picture (but I wouldn't use them again) but the ali top tube had snapped and the down tube was bent right back so the front wheel axle was approximately where the down tube should have been. Carbon is very strong in the right direction.
    But I still don't trust* it.

*should read "can't afford"
  • Rolf F
    No, but the bunny hop will have caused major internal structural damage which will almost certainly cause it to fail catastrophically this afternoon.
    notsoblue
    Nietzsche would ride carbon.

So would Schrodinger.

I wish I had a carbon bike so I could not have had it fail today. I've only got carbon forks and seatpost. They didn't fail today either.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Didn't use my bike again and it still hasn't failed.

It dose seem carbon frames last a little longer if you hang them up and don't actually ride them.

Mind you, I did *think* of going for a ride this evening so it may have failed just at the thought of being ridden, best double check.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    My carbon bike has survived the ENTIRE DAY!

I'm so excited I confidently predict it will survive for ALL OF TOMORROW too!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I have a propelling pencil and the lead snapped yesterday.

I didn't think it was safe to ride it home.
  • absolutely no sign of carbon breakages this morning...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Guys, I'm not sure what to do. It was really sunny this morning and because I was in a rush due to oversleeping I forgot to apply Factor 40 to my SL Pro. As soon as I got into the office I applied aftersun to the frame, but I think the damage may already be done. Should I chance riding it home tonight?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Guys, I'm not sure what to do. It was really sunny this morning and because I was in a rush due to oversleeping I forgot to apply Factor 40 to my SL Pro. As soon as I got into the office I applied aftersun to the frame, but I think the damage may already be done. Should I chance riding it home tonight?

hmmm, it's not looking good have to say. Perhaps a bath in extra virgin olive oil followed but a gentle massage might keep the frame together but i wouldn't hold out on it lasting much longer...
  • notsoblue wrote:

Sure... If you don't mind the fact that it may convert itself into a thousand tiny, carbon daggers all aimed upwards at your crotch. Kill you as soon as look at you, will carbon.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I checked this morning even though I wasn't able to use it today, it's all still in one peice, luckily in my hallway no sunlight reaches it if I keep one door closed so that was a lucky escape.

If I don't appear on here again after it crumbles to dust tomorrow please give a donation to the "carbon fibre frame failure beneolvent fund" (I know that's a lot of F's but it's a worthy cause)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    My carbon rims melted.

5000794128_e3fc2f4687.jpg
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    My carbon rims melted.

Dali's bike?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    My carbon rims melted.

Those rims are obviously aluminium, so that picture must be a fake as metal doesn't fail.

Anyway, what's wrong with you? 5 minutes with a spoke key and that'll straighten right out.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I checked my carbon MTB just now and although it has not left the garage since February, it is still not broken. It must be due to a lack of sunlight.

My carbon road bike appears also to be okay and that was used last Saturday!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mine's showing signs of distemper, or distress maybe. It can only be the heat and the UV rays so the solution has to be to give it the full beans for the whole commute to minimize the time that it spends being exposed to radiation. That has to be the solution. Go like the clappers, ignoring any sane & sage advice to 'be careful'. This is carbon we're dealing with - take care, don't let the rays get to it. Speed is literally of the essence.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I took mine out the other weekend in bright Aussie sunshine - I put her back in the cupboard afterwards, and have been too scared to check up on her since.

I hope she's ok, but am fully prepared for opening the door to a pile of dust and some wheels - no wait - they're carbon too - a pile of dust and some tyres and bar tape.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • rolf_f
    Another 107 miles yesterday and no major failures :( Mind you, that was an out and back which of course allowed the right side of the frame to cool down on the journey back. I believe this is important.

Infact, I've done about 3500 carbon based miles this year alone without a breakage. I'm beginning to think carbon is over-rated.
  • A moment of blind panic coming in this morning

On the last stretch, I could hear a click, click, click noise coming from in front and below.

"Oh noes! The frame is disintegrating around me!! I thought.

"It's all true. I'm about to find myself clutching a set of bars with one wheel up me bum and the other rolling down the road"

Turned out to be some tape stuck to the front wheel, but it was a scary moment there....

but wait....

It could be delaminating CF!!!!

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!........aaaaarrrggghhhh.........aarrrgghh....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Oh god oh god oh god.... the maxima is in a summerhouse with an eastern aspect, and I haven't rotated its outward-facing side for quite some time...

And it's leaning on bookshelves! What if the ink gets into the frame?

It's ruined, isn't it?

:cry:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Oh god oh god oh god.... the maxima is in a summerhouse with an eastern aspect, and I haven't rotated its outward-facing side for quite some time...

It's ruined, isn't it?

There is no hiding your poshness :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Oh god oh god oh god.... the maxima is in a summerhouse with an eastern aspect, and I haven't rotated its outward-facing side for quite some time...

It's ruined, isn't it?

Ask Jeeves to put it in the larder for 10 minutes every hour and you'll be fine :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    rjsterry wrote:

It's ruined, isn't it?

Ask Jeeves to put it in the larder for 10 minutes every hour and you'll be fine :D

Damn, beaten to it!

Is the summerhouse just for the bike?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • My carbon is fine but I think this I because I rlj and don't wear a helmet. Rlj'ing refreshes the carbon nanowebs bonding and the weight saving of wearing a helmet means less wear and tear. The rumour that rlj'ing is bad was put out by the big bike companies to make the bikes fail faster therefore increasing sales.
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • My carbon is fine but I think this I because I rlj and don't wear a helmet. Rlj'ing refreshes the carbon nanowebs bonding and the weight saving of wearing a helmet means less wear and tear. The rumour that rlj'ing is bad was put out by the big bike companies to make the bikes fail faster therefore increasing sales.

and he cycles down the A52.... :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

It's ruined, isn't it?

Damn, beaten to it!

Is the summerhouse just for the bike?

:lol::lol:

Jeeves is too busy catching my fresh mackerel...
  • rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:

It's ruined, isn't it?

Forget the summerhouse - she has books! :lol: