Did anyones carbon frame not break today?

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Mine didn't - 103 hilly miles. Can only be a matter of time though.......

Anyone elses carbon frame not break today?
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    eh what? Its is carbon fork breaking day or something??
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I've not been home yet to check, but hopefully the top tube will not have succumbed to the weight of the thing and buckled whilst in its stand, with tiny pieces of carbon shattering across the carpet causing all sorts of mess and woe...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • No. Mine didn't. I was thinking of writing to The Times about it,
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Someone tell me the in joke here :(
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Hmmm. I managed a blissful 17 miles or so. I'm not picking shards of carbon out of my leg either.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mine didn't break whils not being ridden. I can only assume that means it will break when I ride it tomorrow.

rebs: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12803787, perhaps, i dunno!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Haven't ridden my bike today, but it was left in the hallway. Almost in direct sunlight, as it was pretty warm today I'll check it over carefully for signs of melting damage before bed.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Mine didn't break but the delivery process did, so still no shiny new bike for me :cry:
    Blaming wiggle as we speak, they'll have to send a crate of haribo to make up for this.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    No, neither the Viner (full carbon) nor the Condor (carbon rear triangle & fork) have broken. I clearly haven't dropped them enough :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Mine still seems ok, but then I only have a short commute.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    only have a carbon seatpost, :cry: so that doesn't really count
  • I know it's another day, but mine didn't break today either. Two days in a row, somethings bound to give, particularly since most of bike is carbon - frame, seatpost, handlebar/stem, wheels.
  • Friend managed to break his Madone 5.? then got an SSL frame (£6k?) and managed to get a metal sign post (he was carrying :roll: ) caught in the rear wheel and broke both chainstays! They did actually repair it for him though.

My Cayo didn't break yesterday or today (but it's only Wednesday)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I just checked the Met office website and there is no rain forecast, so with a bit of luck my frame will last at least until the weekend.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i snapped my carbon bottle cage if that counts?!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    StuAff wrote:
    No, neither the Viner (full carbon) nor the Condor (carbon rear triangle & fork) have broken. I clearly haven't dropped them enough :)

Was going to ask if you've ridden them recently :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

I REALLY like that site.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Yeah, but then you do have a bit of a thing about carbon fibre being wildly unrelaible don't you? (not that you haven't broken a few metal frames :P )
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    My forks and seat stays are still intact but it can only be a matter of time
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Clever Pun wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

Was going to ask if you've ridden them recently :wink:
    :D

Well, the Condor's just survived 15 miles this morning, did 38 on the Viner on Sunday (and it seemed to be OK in the garage). About 2.6k miles on each so far this year.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rjsterry wrote:
    Yeah, but then you do have a bit of a thing about carbon fibre being wildly unrelaible don't you? (not that you haven't broken a few metal frames :P )

Guilty as charged.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I bunny hopped a pothole this morning and my SL Pro didn't catastrophically fail on me. Next time...
  • my seat and chain stays are fine and my fork seems to have survived too. Maybe the hyperbolic chamber I keep them in was worth it after all!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I can confirm that the integrity of my carbon bicycle remains uncompromised after my short commute this morning, despite riding to Screwfix yesterday afternoon and overloading my backpack with a weighty box of decking screws. It also hasn't melted despite being in sunlight all day (unlike me, I've been stuck in an air-conditioned office all day, bah).

It's like giving up ciggies, isn't it. Fracture Free after, er, <counts furiously> 150 days.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    notsoblue wrote:
    I bunny hopped a pothole this morning and my SL Pro didn't catastrophically fail on me. Next time...

No, but the bunny hop will have caused major internal structural damage which will almost certainly cause it to fail catastrophically this afternoon.

I'm off out on one of my plastic frames this afternoon - wish me luck. If it doesn't break, that'll be two days in succession!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I noticed my Carbon bike hung up in the garage this morning.

It survived another night

Some daylight does come through a side window so it's only a matter of time before UV makes it fall to bits
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I had a quick look at my carbon-framed bike this lunchtime and I can confirm that it's still intact, despite being exposed to air ALL DAY.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    I had a quick look at my carbon-framed bike this lunchtime and I can confirm that it's still intact, despite being exposed to air ALL DAY.

I shrink wrapped mine. I was too scared not to.

I used a natural nitrogen environment within the shrink wrap and included a desiccant to ensure no moisture was available to melt the CF.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DesWeller wrote:

I shrink wrapped mine. I was too scared not to.

I used a natural nitrogen environment within the shrink wrap and included a desiccant to ensure no moisture was available to melt the CF.

The dessicant is bound to have a chemical reaction with the frame and render it inherently unsafe! You're doomed!