Short sessions

Ringo 68
Ringo 68 Posts: 441
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
At the moment during the week, due to work, I can literally get in half an hour of riding before it gets too dark.
I am just going out and doing an 8 mile circuit at an average of just over 18mph, which for me in my unfit state feels like a pretty good workout.

Is there anything I should be doing to maximise such a short session time?

My theory that some exercise is better than nothing.
Cube Agree GTC Pro
Boardman Comp
Carrera Subway Hybrid

Comments

• Do you have a turbo? If not, better get one. Otherwise that half hour is going to disappear pretty quickly.

Or get some lights for your bike. That usually solves the "it's too dark to ride" problem.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    At the moment during the week, due to work, I can literally get in half an hour of riding before it gets too dark.
    I am just going out and doing an 8 mile circuit at an average of just over 18mph, which for me in my unfit state feels like a pretty good workout.

why are you training / what are you training for..??
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Turbos suck. Get something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/800-Lumens-T6 ... 0668557302 and go out at night. Get a good tail light (Smart for example) and a small head torch too. The days are only going to get shorter.

I'm only managing 20 mile rides these days but I'm giving it maximum effort when I'm out.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    edited September 2011
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:

why are you training / what are you training for..??

To get fitter/lose weight.

I am normally home from work pretty early, 3.45pm, but occasional busy weeks mean that it can be a lot later but I still want to get out, even if it is only for a short while.

A turbo is in the pipe line but will probably have to wait until Xmas.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • If you can have the turbo ready & waiting - do both! Go out and ride , then come home and ride some more on your turbo!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    weight until Xmas.
    Bit of a Freudian slip in a training thread?
  • Ringo 68 wrote:

Your theory is right. My advice with such a short session time would simply be to ride as hard as you can for the time you have available. It would be too easy to over complicate things by trying to do structured intervals. Just get out on your bike and ride hard. You should see your times for your training loop fall considerably as you progress.

Good luck.
  • bompington wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    weight until Xmas.
    Bit of a Freudian slip in a training thread?

LOL
    I have been trying to edit that since I posted but for some reason my phone won't let me.

I will have to weight until I get home.

Damn, I have done it again. :?
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid