S.P.O.T.Y

Comments

• iainf72 wrote:
    I remember when Greg Lemond won Sports Illustrated's sportsman of the year, there were a lot of complaints as cycling isn't a sport, because it doesn't involve hand / eye coordination.

Does that include technical 80kmph decents? :lol:
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    A sport is anything you have to change your shoes for... and anyway, we all know it as "the sport of professional bike racing"
  • Sport is a competative activity which requires energy expenditure levels above resting heart rate.

so there will be no sporting personality for:

Fishing
    darts
    bowling
    golf
    Dominoes.
  • the office dictionary says this: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

I disagree.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    the office dictionary says this: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

I disagree.
    Sport is all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants. Sport may be competitive, where a winner or winners can be identified by objective means, and may require a degree of skill, especially at higher levels. Hundreds of sports exist, including those for a single participant, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as Some non-physical activities, such as board games and card games are sometimes referred to as sports, but a sport is generally recognised as being based in physical athleticism.

Sports are usually governed by a set of rules or customs. Physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first often define the result of a sport. However, the degree of skill and performance in some sports such as diving, dressage and figure skating is judged according to well-defined criteria. This is in contrast with other judged activities such as beauty pageants and body building, where skill does not have to be shown and the criteria are not as well defined.

Records are kept and updated for most sports at the highest levels, while failures and accomplishments are widely announced in sport news. Sports are most often played just for fun or for the simple fact that people need exercise to stay in good physical condition. However, professional sport is a major source of entertainment.

While practices may vary, participants in many sports are expected to display good sportsmanship, and observe standards of conduct such as being respectful of opponents and officials, and congratulating the winner when losing.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    My personal opinion is that an activity is a sport rather than a game when physical fitness helps you gain a competitive advantage. I think golf just sneaks in under this definition. Buggies are expressly forbidden, and advantage can be gained by improving strength in order to hit the ball further.

Darts is out though - I remember reading about a darts player (Andy Fordham?) who actually played worse after losing significant weight because it changed his balance!
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    AidanR wrote:
    My personal opinion is that an activity is a sport rather than a game when physical fitness helps you gain a competitive advantage. I think golf just sneaks in under this definition. Buggies are expressly forbidden, and advantage can be gained by improving strength in order to hit the ball further.
    !
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    AidanR wrote:
    !

On the other hand, if Darren Clarke wins, then he'll be the first winner of the award who smokes while competing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • AidanR
    Sportsman takes drug whilst competing shocker ;)
  • Golf is just walking isn't it? Walking my dog isn't a sport?!

And as above, Jiminez walks round with a cigar, Clarke Smokes like a chimney...not very sportsman like is it..
  • Golf is just walking isn't it? Walking my dog isn't a sport?!

And as above, Jiminez walks round with a cigar, Clarke Smokes like a chimney...not very sportsman like is it..

Hang on, walking is a sport isn't it....

Running-Walking-4.jpg
  • AidanR
    There's more to sport than physicality - there's an element of objective competition too. Now competitive dog walking, there's a sport!

I agree that smoking is not very sportsman-like, but if it calms their nerves then they could get an advantage from it. That may sound a bit daft, but consider a rugby player who snorts a line of coke before a match. Is it good for him? No. Will it impair his sporting performance in the long run? Probably. Will it give him an advantage during the match? Almost certainly.
  • rick_chasey
    AidanR wrote:
    Sportsman takes drug whilst competing shocker ;)

In all seriousness, they're thinking of banning nicotine from golf competitions.
  • AidanR wrote:
    There's more to sport than physicality - there's an element of objective competition too. Now competitive dog walking, there's a sport!

I agree that smoking is not very sportsman-like, but if it calms their nerves then they could get an advantage from it. That may sound a bit daft, but consider a rugby player who snorts a line of coke before a match. Is it good for him? No. Will it impair his sporting performance in the long run? Probably. Will it give him an advantage during the match? Almost certainly.

They need to bring in a Nicotine Threshold...The dirty cheating beggers!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    andyp wrote:
    So Darren Gough is an idiot for being misinformed or ignorant about another sport, but it's fine for you to do it?

Right.

Seems to apply to quite a few on here!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Cavendish won't give a toss will he?
    He knows what he's done, and I shouldn't think he (or for that matter any professional sports person) is really that bothered about the sports equivalent of the TV soap awards.

That said, it will be a little bit galling if it gets given to someone less deserving. Although there are probably others who are just as deserving as Cavendish.
  • Interesting the citing of a raised heart rate as something a sport should have...the entire focus of the pistol shooters in the olympics is to control their breathing and heart rate.
  • Interesting the citing of a raised heart rate as something a sport should have...the entire focus of the pistol shooters in the olympics is to control their breathing and heart rate.

Pistol shooting is a hobby surely? I wouldn't class it as a sport, same for clay shooting (which i do a bit of)
  • AidanR
    We tend to think of physical fitness as aerobic capacity, strength, power etc. but there are a huge number of different types of fitness. I don't see why control of breathing and heart rate shouldn't be considered a type of fitness - I'm sure free-divers do!
  • free diving's not a sport, all they do is sink :wink:
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Personally I think golf is a sport. You have to buy dedicated shoes and spend vast ammounts on gear and equipment, where's the difference with cycling ? :wink:

On a serious note, 36 holes in a day isn't the same as riding 100 miles, but there is an element of fatigue. A slim, fit guy with identical golfing ability would beat a porker on most occasions I fancy. Difficult to prove I know, just an opinion.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Daz555 wrote:
    Last 30:

Tony McCoy
    Ryan Giggs
    Chris Hoy

Didn't some darts player win last year, and McCoy in 2009?

RE: Michael Owen, yes he scored against Argentina, but he also has a superb year for Liverpool and was up for World Player of the year I believe. That's quite an achievement for a 17 year old lad. Not sure what else went on that year.

IMO, the only other person that should come close to Cav is Mo Farah. I'm hoping Cav will win, but wouldn't begrudge Farah a win. I suspect though, that one of them Northern Irish golfers will win, despite golf not actually being a sport. BBC set a precedent with that last year by giving a sports award to an obese darts player! :roll:
    Phil "the power" has come close (2nd in 2010) but never won it. The last three are indeed McCoy, Giggs, & Hoy.

I'd love Cav to win it but a good shout there for Farah. The way he has steadily progressed over the last few years to become one of the best in the world is incredible. Having said that if Bekele is even half fit in 2012 then Farah has no chance.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    AidanR wrote:
    My personal opinion is that an activity is a sport rather than a game when physical fitness helps you gain a competitive advantage.!
    What about car pointing?

All the top F1 drivers are more than fit enough for the demands of their sport - what separates them is their ability to point cars better than the other car pointers. Is it a sport?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • AidanR
    You mean like how equally fit tennis players are separated by skill? Or equally fit cyclists are separated by their bike handling (Wiggins vs Cancellara anyone?)?
  • rick_chasey
    Daz555 wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    My personal opinion is that an activity is a sport rather than a game when physical fitness helps you gain a competitive advantage.!
    What about car pointing?

All the top F1 drivers are more than fit enough for the demands of their sport - what separates them is their ability to point cars better than the other car pointers. Is it a sport?

Without a driver, a car wouldn't actually move.

The driver's input is explicit and very measurable.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Daz555 wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    What about car pointing?

The thing about trying to belittle sports by reducing them to some flippant one liner is that it works equally well for all sports- riding a bike, putting one foot in front of the other, kicking balls, hitting balls with bits of wood etc etc. As AidanR says that's usually where the skill is and neatly explains why some people are the best n their sport and other people aren't.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    :roll: at this thread.

That is all.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    Why do people often cite Zara Phillips winning as strange / laughable? The year she won SPOTY she had won the individual World Championship in her chosen sport and was part of the silver medal winning team in the same event following on from success in the Europeans the previous year. You can't ask for much more than winning the top event in your sport no matter who you are. When you look at the other contenders that year no-one had better credentials (cue ignorant comments about how "the horse does all the work :wink: ).
  • Pross wrote:
    Why do people often cite Zara Phillips winning as strange / laughable? The year she won SPOTY she had won the individual World Championship in her chosen sport and was part of the silver medal winning team in the same event following on from success in the Europeans the previous year. You can't ask for much more than winning the top event in your sport no matter who you are. When you look at the other contenders that year no-one had better credentials (cue ignorant comments about how "the horse does all the work :wink: ).

The horse did all the work. It didn't win horse personality of the year. :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    Well, her mum looks like a horse and she did win SPOTY - maybe that's why there wasn't so much fuss about it :lol: